I Need A Whole New Puter...

I am looking to get a computer. I only can get online when Im at work. well My home puter is a lender and for some reason I can't get on the net with it. So Im looking to buy a good used computer. I don't plan on doing to much with it maybe download some music from KAZAA for the MP3 and geocaching (along with paperless cacheing) Does anyone have any good ideas or am I going to just have to spring for a new one?

I am looking to get a computer. I only can get online when Im at work. well My home puter is a lender and for some reason I can't get on the net with it. So Im looking to buy a good used computer. I don't plan on doing to much with it maybe download some music from KAZAA for the MP3 and geocaching (along with paperless cacheing) Does anyone have any good ideas or am I going to just have to spring for a new one?

It is a gigantic buyer's market. a used machine is a really bad choice. Check the dell store @ http://www.dell.com/content/products/featu...s=19&l=en&s=dhs :D:):)

Edited by Team Cotati

I just went to Dells website and priced a Dimension B110 with 512 MB of ram, 80 GB Hard drive, Intel® Celeron® D Processor 325 (2.53 GHz, 533 FSB), no monitor for $329 and +$20 if you want a monitor

After Tax and shipping it was $383.07

Forget about used that is DEAD CHEAP! and it even has a 1 year warrenty

Edited by BerryCachers

I agree with BerryCachers, as that is the best deal yet, it'll last you muchmuch longer than a used one, and you won't have to worry about what happens when you need to reinstall the operating system or anything like that.

If you're that strapped for cash, then I vote going to your local classifieds, such as a Penny Saver, or sometimes even Craigslist or Freecycle. I sometimes even see them at Goodwill, though I wouldn't do much with these except for internet browsing and word processing.

Also, as much as I'm sure you enjoy your MP3s, programs like Kazaa and that sometimes invite unsavories (Spyware, viruses) that might behoove you to stop using them.

I just went to Dells website and priced a Dimension B110 with 512 MB of ram, 80 GB Hard drive, Intel® Celeron® D Processor 325 (2.53 GHz, 533 FSB), no monitor for $329 and +$20 if you want a monitor

After Tax and shipping it was $383.07

Forget about used that is DEAD CHEAP! and it even has a 1 year warrenty

You're welcome. Anytime. :anicute::):P

New computers sometimes don't have Serial ports (or they only have one), so keep that in mind if you have a GPSr or PDA or External modem that needs a Serial connection.

If you ever want to upgrade that DELL with a second hard drive, or other option, you might not be able to do it. The components in DELLs, and other "Brand Name" computers (Compaq, HP, etc.) are proprietary. A "built-from-scratch" machine made in a local computer shop might be a better option.

Here is a link to give you an idea of some prices in the San Diego area. And this site sometimes has some great deals. :anicute:

Also, there have been reported problems with the WinXP Media Version OS that DELL is installing and the way it works/doesn't work with Palm software. YMMV

Friends shouldn't let friends buy Celeron processor machines :lol: Spend the extra money for some extra L2 cache, you'll be happier down the road.

Must not type... must not type...

Friend shouldn't let friends by Windows machines. Spend the extra money and buy a Macintosh.

$599 get you:

1.5GHz Intel Core Solo processor

2MB L2 Cache

667MHz Frontside Bus

512MB memory (667MHz DDR2 SDRAM)

60GB Serial ATA hard drive

Combo drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)

Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0

Apple Remote

Ok, I'll crawl back in my hole now...

Paul

build it yourself (or find someone tech savvy to help you out). For $650, I built me a pretty fast machine. Components include:

AMD XP 64 3500+ processor

1 GB of RAM

256 MB Nvidia GeForce 7300 Video Card

Lightscribe DVD writer

7200 RMP 80 GB harddrive (could have gotten something bigger relatively cheap, but I already had an existing 80 GB HD and was looking to keep costs low but get the most out of my money)

The money also netted me a great case and of course, a motherboard.

Now, I could have cut costs further on this machine. A slightly slower processor could have docked another $100 off. A slower video card, another 30. A cheaper case, another 40. No DVD burner (just CDRW or DVD) another 20.

Long story short, there are ways to get a great computer pretty cheap. Dells and all that are fine and all, but you can get by cheaper with better components if you can build it.

As for macs, though promising at times, and certainly an improvment in certain applications (mainly photo/video editing), mac is just a different way of crashing. Pre Windows XP, one had a better arguement. But XP is such a stable, reliable OS that the argument is essentially null and void. Really, the only big advantage remaining is the lack of viruses, which, through proper protection, are a minimal factor for a PC.

For what he is looking for, the Dell will be more then enough. Sure you can build your own for cheap but you also have to consider the cost of the OS and whatever software he may need/want that comes with the Dell. Oh and don't worry if it has a serial port or not. You can get adapters or add serial ports by just plugging it into a PCI slot.

Edited by Team Dubbin