The 50 State Multi-cache

Question - if you are the hider for 1 of the 50, can you still find the rest of the series and claim the "big prize"? I'm guessing if you can maintain a cache in ___ state, that you've also found at least one cache in that state (or would be able to do so fairly easily), so if you found the rest, you *would* have found all 50 states.

There could be more than one cache for each state that would qualify. Perhaps yours down in Evansville, another in Indianapolis (capitol city--maybe near the speedway?) and perhaps even another in the NE corner. That way, cache hiders/maintainers could play too--and people would have a bit more leeway about routing.

And does it really need a puzzle for the capstone cache? Couldn't just having completed the entire 50 states be enough to earn a "bonus" cache--say in DC?

Question - if you are the hider for 1 of the 50, can you still find the rest of the series and claim the "big prize"? I'm guessing if you can maintain a cache in ___ state, that you've also found at least one cache in that state (or would be able to do so fairly easily), so if you found the rest, you *would* have found all 50 states.

There could be more than one cache for each state that would qualify. Perhaps yours down in Evansville, another in Indianapolis (capitol city--maybe near the speedway?) and perhaps even another in the NE corner. That way, cache hiders/maintainers could play too--and people would have a bit more leeway about routing.

And does it really need a puzzle for the capstone cache? Couldn't just having completed the entire 50 states be enough to earn a "bonus" cache--say in DC?

All good suggestions. My opinion is that the final cache should only be available after having collected one of the designated caches in each of the 50 states. How would you implement the "bonus" cache? Is it a cache that is always available to anyone?

DC is one of the suggestions we have heard. Others include the continental divide and the geographical center of the USA (continental and otherwise)

I can do Iowa, but it will be in northern Iowa.

I like the add the numbers to get the final coordinates. The number or numbers can be written on the inside of the lid with a marker or have a special sheet laminated inside the cache.

Also you must take your picture with the cache container that has the name of the state on it.

Just let me know what I need to do.

Wehave 29 30 31 32 33 states with volunteers. You all rock! :lol:

Remaining states with help wanted:

Alaska

Arizona

Arkansas

Colorado

Connecticut

Delaware

Georgia

Hawaii

Kansas

Maryland

Mississippi

Montana

Nevada

New Hampshire

New Jersey

New Mexico

New York

Tennessee

Utah

Vermont

West Virginia

Edited by Blue Power Ranger

I would vote against the picture idea. Sometimes this isnt feasible or practical to take a picture, and honestly who is going to count.

That in mind, I think you still require the actual in-person logging of caches. That is my 2 cents on the visiting perspectice.

Concerning multiple state caches. I see two sides - either you have one cache designated as the state cache and make sure it is located in a area of significance for the state (i.e. here in KY, we would want to have a cache near a horse park, or at a distillery). The other option is to have a few (insert specific number of your choosing) located in each state (just think about making it to texas to find out that the cache is still 16 hours away, or flying to Alaska and not being able to get the cache that is snowed in. Now if we go with the addition idea, this would still work, each state has a designated number, and all 50-state muti caches have that same number in them. Of course if I were in charge, I would not have more than a couple in each state if you were to take this option.

I think if someone is honestly going to tackle something this large, that a photo taken at each cache site isn't an unreasonable requirement. Especially considering with the price of gas, anyone tackling this cache is looking at thousands of dollars in gas money:)

Being that only the most devout, dedicated folks would ever possibly finish this, what about finishing at Groundspeak HQ? I think they would at least spring for a T-Shirt :) And for advertising, it wouldn't surprise me to find that one of the GPS companies wouldn't toss in a free GPS for FTF...

That's not a bad idea oscar! We should contact Garmin and see what they think, that is unless someone has a NICE GPS they don't use anymore. And a Geocoin should be made for this if completed.

Oh, and as for the site I finished the HTML for the homepage. BUT, It's a little hard without suggestions and inputs soo why don't you tell me some? PM or reply.

-Eric

That's not a bad idea oscar! We should contact Garmin and see what they think, that is unless someone has a NICE GPS they don't use anymore. And a Geocoin should be made for this if completed.

Oh, and as for the site I finished the HTML for the homepage. BUT, It's a little hard without suggestions and inputs soo why don't you tell me some? PM or reply.

-Eric

I don't know that we need an actual site. What I was looking for HTML-wise was more of a template that hiders could use for their cache pages to give a common look & feel to each of the cache pages. You know, so when you are looking at the pages, you instantly recognize it as part of the series.

we have Sirf not to far from us there is even a cache they have there and they give a sirf micro chip as a cache item maybe something at garmin or GC. As for the coin it would be cool but way to expensive to have a coin for each shape of each state that fits together. Although having coins made are going to be pricey $150 for the die gc trackable $1.50 each tracking number 150 for an icon if you have over 500 made and about $2-4 dollars a coin depending who you have mint it and how many you have made.

As a resident of Washington, DC, I'd like to petition for either a 51st cache in DC as part of this project, or else to put the final inside Washington, DC. I'd volunteer to hide and maintain the DC cache, whether final or not.

If it is the final, I'd even be willing to maintain its swag level to make sure that finders get something really, really cool, since this is after all a massive undertaking. (I'd also suggest that wherever the final is, that people attempting the final are asked to post a note at least 48 hours in advance of their attempt if possible so that the maintainer can just double-check on the cache!)

DC is of course a big tourist destination, so probably easier for cachers where the whole family doesn't cache to convince the non-caching family members to take a trip to DC than it is to convince them to take a trip to somewhere in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the country to find the final cache! The other benefit of DC is that it is relatively small geographically, so if people know the final is in DC, they can pretty easily check their computed coordinates and see if they're totally wrong before making the trip! :)

I got it!

If we can get Jeremy to make a speacial icon for this cache (Virtual, APE, Earth cache, etc) someone who wanted to search for the 50 state multi cache would just have to go to http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx? and choose the 50 state multi cache name from the drop down menu, and then search by country. It would make every cache show up!

Edited by Hillbilly-Rockstar

Being that only the most devout, dedicated folks would ever possibly finish this, what about finishing at Groundspeak HQ? I think they would at least spring for a T-Shirt :) And for advertising, it wouldn't surprise me to find that one of the GPS companies wouldn't toss in a free GPS for FTF...

If the end location is known, the container would have to be locked, where the combination is determined by some sort of simple math from all the caches (like the previously suggestion addtion of numebrs from each cache). If it is a 4 number combo, each cache could have a "-x" or a "+y" to make things even harder to figure out without doing all caches.

I would vote against the picture idea. Sometimes this isnt feasible or practical to take a picture, and honestly who is going to count.

That in mind, I think you still require the actual in-person logging of caches. That is my 2 cents on the visiting perspectice.

Concerning multiple state caches. I see two sides - either you have one cache designated as the state cache and make sure it is located in a area of significance for the state (i.e. here in KY, we would want to have a cache near a horse park, or at a distillery). The other option is to have a few (insert specific number of your choosing) located in each state (just think about making it to texas to find out that the cache is still 16 hours away, or flying to Alaska and not being able to get the cache that is snowed in. Now if we go with the addition idea, this would still work, each state has a designated number, and all 50-state muti caches have that same number in them. Of course if I were in charge, I would not have more than a couple in each state if you were to take this option.

I think it should be one cache per state- 50 for 50, not 67 for 50 or 98 for 50. Say you put 12 of 'official 50 State Multi' caches in Texas. The next thing you know we'll have people claiming that you have to get a find on all 12 Texas caches for the whole thing to count. Probably won't happen but I think 50/50 is just well, cleaner, or simpler. Anybody can go to Minnesota and do a P&G. But this series ought to be a little special, right?

However, I like the idea of having each cache represent something special about the state. For example, the New York Finger Lakes, or the Canyon country of the Utah/Arizona/New Mexico. But don't sham out and use the tried and true Mom and Pop tourist attractions (i.e. Niagara Falls or the Grand Canyon)

...Look kids: Big Ben,...Parliament...

Too many muggles, and too much traffic already. Place it on the road less traveled by, that will make all the difference. (regards to Robert Frost)

As a resident of Washington, DC, I'd like to petition for either a 51st cache in DC as part of this project, or else to put the final inside Washington, DC.

So far this is the only offer to maintain a final cache. Do you think this cache could remain secure for a LONG period of time without searchers?

I would prefer it be the FINAL for the whole series and obviously it could be several years before anyone gets that far.

Once we have 19 more states whats the next action? Playing this by ear may not be the best thing to do.

Step 1 - I'll do my best based on what the consensus feeling seems to be to establish a set of guidelines for the series. Hopefully everyone is semi-happy.

Step 2 - Lets get a common look and feel for the cache pages

Step 3 - I'll start contacting the volunteers to share guidelines, share numeric codes for individual caches and to invite them to begin hiding caches.

I don't think it is necessary to have all 50 states covered in order to beging deploying these caches or even the final location for that matter but they should be established fairly quickly.

Once we have 19 more states whats the next action? Playing this by ear may not be the best thing to do.

Step 1 - I'll do my best based on what the consensus feeling seems to be to establish a set of guidelines for the series. Hopefully everyone is semi-happy.

Step 2 - Lets get a common look and feel for the cache pages

Step 3 - I'll start contacting the volunteers to share guidelines, share numeric codes for individual caches and to invite them to begin hiding caches.

I don't think it is necessary to have all 50 states covered in order to beging deploying these caches or even the final location for that matter but they should be established fairly quickly.

It is your deal, I would not worry about who is happy, or try to take everyone's suggestions. As I said before... You are entrusted with the vision.

Go ahead and start making calls and emails. Ask specific people to do specific things. The downfall of forums is you get information overload without any action.

I see the steps need to be as follows:

1. Identify the LOCATION of the final cache - again, this is up to you Power Ranger, since it is your idea.

2. Begin the process of locating state caches - either adopted, or talking with those on this forum to get them placed. If it were me, I would want to okay them before getting them placed on the list

3. Then you figure out the puzzle and email the individual numbers to the cache owners. I would also create a master page to go in each cache that explains the nature of the cache as well as the GC# of all the others.

Whatever you need done, just email me and I will take care of it.

-bk

We probably want to run this by an approver or 2 or 3 or so to make sure it has a hope of being approved before we get too far into this.

I don't anticipate any problems since what we are creating is going to be 51 seperate caches. If there is a reviewer watching, can you chime in? Otherwise I will go ahead and run it by my local reviewer(s).

We probably want to run this by an approver or 2 or 3 or so to make sure it has a hope of being approved before we get too far into this.

I don't anticipate any problems since what we are creating is going to be 51 seperate caches. If there is a reviewer watching, can you chime in? Otherwise I will go ahead and run it by my local reviewer(s).

Okay, I missed that part, thought it was a 50-stage multi.

Still willing to do Vermont.

BPR, I'd be happy to take the WA cache off your hands and whip up something appropriate for our grand state. I already own the closest geocache to Groundspeak HQ (called KGEO- Music to cache by (GCP056)), and perhaps at the appropriate time I could retire that and replace with a cache for this series.

Also, I don't cruise the forums that often so at some point I think you shouild create an email list of the cache placers to facilitate getting info to all of us (perhaps this has been suggested, I haven't read every entry).

cheers

fishiam

I'll take Vermont.

31 states down, 19 to go.

I may pull out of being the Washington State hider so I can focus on the other aspects of organizing this. If there are any Washington folk who would like to hide, let me know. I don't want quality to suffer.

Edited by fishiam

Some issues - your final cache will presumably, like all puzzle caches have bogus coords. Those coords will need to be within 2 miles of the actual cache, per the listing guidelines. This makes the cache invisible to all but those people who live near it. Hard to keep it out in front of a national audience, which it needs. You can keep talking about it here, of course and in regional forums. That helps.

Here are some links - the first to the first DeLorme Challenge. Note that specific caches are not required, just caches within the bounds of the DeLorme Maps California DeLorme Challenge. And then there's the Florida Challenge Series. Again, specific caches are not used, just one cache per county: South Florida Challenge Quest, North Florida Challenge Quest, and Florida Challenge Quest Final.

I'd suggest that the "any cache within the state" idea is more workable than the "it has to be THIS cache" idea.

Though you might get that one to work too. Makes the issue of the reliability of each individual cache owner more critical. That's likely to be measured in longevity in the sport - my guess only.

I'll mention that the "email me for coords" that you see here requires Groundspeak permission (yeah, even for reviewers, we asked for that special permission).

Edited by palmetto

Looking forward to this challenge!!! Thanks for the opportunity to be part of it!

Here is my food for thought.....

I still think that one cache per state should be the rule. I understand some states are HUGE....but anyone seriously taking on this challenge would know that travel is going to be the norm. If they want all the caches, where ever its located in a given state, they'll find a way to get there. Who knows, placing one cache just may inspire travel to a part of a state that sees few cachers. (Yes, Wisconsin has those areas).

So, will there be something set up to prevent Mary Sue from Idaho emailing Billy Bob in Tennessee to find the cache and email her the code, verification or whatever. I hate to see it, but I certainly can see people getting together with others to get all the codes or whatever to find the final. Does this make sense???

Also on another thought, is each state cache going to be a traditional? Or are you going to allow them to be puzzles and/or multi stage caches? Something this big, I would err on the side of caution and make them single (traditional) caches. Skip the puzzles or long drawn out multis.

Are you going to address the issue of what will happen if a cache placer decides to quit several years down the road?

Katrina

AstroD-Team

some of us can't physically do a 4.5 and others don't have four wheel drive so a fair limit should be set. Some of us don't have dog sleds to reach one clear up in Alaska or deep in a cave in Arizona. Even at a level 2 or 3 we can make this a very good hide in a good location. For me in Oregon, the coast is one of our best places but it would take a special detour of over five hours off of the direct route from California to Washington. So I might pick a hot springs or something here as a hiding spot. What do you think?

The scope of doing the series is already overwhelming enough. It is going to be a monumental effort just to log 50 specific caches.

Making any one cache too difficult, or having puzzles for any of the stages will cause many people to ignore the challenge.

Are you going to address the issue of what will happen if a cache placer decides to quit several years down the road?

That is the easiest of your questions (and I belive that your other questions have been answered).

If a state cacher quites, all that the organizer of the the 50-state cache has to do is to ask another person in that state to make their cache the state cache and then put the same clue (I feel confident we are sticking with the adding up number model) in the new cache.

Looking forward to this challenge!!! Thanks for the opportunity to be part of it!

I still think that one cache per state should be the rule. I understand some states are HUGE....but anyone seriously taking on this challenge would know that travel is going to be the norm. If they want all the caches, where ever its located in a given state, they'll find a way to get there. Who knows, placing one cache just may inspire travel to a part of a state that sees few cachers. (Yes, Wisconsin has those areas).

So, will there be something set up to prevent Mary Sue from Idaho emailing Billy Bob in Tennessee to find the cache and email her the code, verification or whatever. I hate to see it, but I certainly can see people getting together with others to get all the codes or whatever to find the final. Does this make sense???

Also on another thought, is each state cache going to be a traditional? Or are you going to allow them to be puzzles and/or multi stage caches? Something this big, I would err on the side of caution and make them single (traditional) caches. Skip the puzzles or long drawn out multis.

Katrina

AstroD-Team

There will be ONE cache per state.

I thought of the photo requirement to verify finds and to prevent simple "sharing" of cache information. Some have since voiced disagreement but I think it is reasonable.

All caches will be traditional - regular size.

If someone quits, hopefully they will be considerate enough to allow for cache adoption. If a cache is missing and the owner cannot be contacted, we will request a disable and get a new cache issued for that state.

We will HIGHLY RECOMMEND that those traveling a great distance to find a cache will research ahead of time to make certain that cache is currently active either through contacting the owner or a very recent finder.

The only problem with having only one cache per state is that it keeps the person who owns that cache from finding all 50 of the caches.

Now I don't have a problem with saying that you can just count the one you hid instead of having to find one in your state, but other people might not agree with that sentiment. I can imagine that some people might decide not to do all fifty because they refuse to count their own as one of the fifty. It does spoil the fun, just a smidgeon, for the cache owner.

Also, if there were two caches in each state, it would help to assure that at least one of them would probably be available exactly when someone wanted to go to that state.

I think photo evidence is reasonable. Digital cameras are cheap now days, and assure that you actually get the shot. Disposable cameras make good back up (I am just paranoid enough that if I were doing the series, I would take both photos and a digital images just to be sure I got my shot). As we've said, people with the means to do this series will be able to afford a luxury like a camera. :rolleyes:

There's something to be said for a cool idea.

There's something to be said for having a cool idea that is actually used by other people.

Even though I'm a newbie to this, I discovered that even basic puzzle caches get painfully few people to participate. I hear lots of good ideas and willing helpers, but how well will all this motivation go in 5 years when maybe the FTF has been done, but few people are even actively attempting it.

I think we should allow most states to have more than 1 cache with the coords for that state, not dozens, but definitely more than one... DC, Mass, RI, etc, can get by with 1, but I think a few is acceptable for mid-size states, and maybe as many as 10 for Cali, Montana, Texas, Alaska.

Especially if this cache series gets designated as something unique from the GC site, it'd be a shame to look at it in 2 years and see 1 or 2 completions. The folks who have the free time, gas money and desire to tackle something like this is painfully few.

Since it would take a while, even with multiple caches in the larger states... I think it could be neat to use this cache as a rating system in itself... like tenure, or military rank or something. Say if we called this cache the Cachemaster, we could say something like "Level 2 CacheMaster" which would be someone who has maybe found 6 or 8 of the state caches. It could top out at level 10 or something.

That way, it would be a bit more popular, and it wouldn't be just about 1 final thing, it would be something that builds with a promotion of sort happening periodically.

But heck, that's just my opinion.

Just the fact that the caches will be standard regular caches will insure that they are found by the average Joe-cacher (other than the final of course). I am volunteering to organize this but freely admit that I will be lucky to ever get to find more than five or six of the caches in separate states.

I am all for keeping it simple with one cache per state, even though I respect other opinions that have been expressed. I think we will be fortunate to get the one per state initially. If this proves to be a flawed idea, we can always change course down the road. Right now, it just seems logical that you would have 50 caches collected to complete the series. It is such a clean number.

Right now I am planning on asking for one cache per state in a location that is representative somehow of that state. For example, a cache in Washington State could have gorgeous views of Seattle, the mountains, the rainforests or the vast farmlands of the eastern part of the state or really whatever the hider's vision is.

There are lots of cool grand ideas floating around: coins, special, GC.com designation (VERY COOL), etc all of which get me jazzed. Lets set this ship afloat very simply at first and see what else we can do from there.

I don't think there is no joy in this pursuit once a FTF is claimed on the final... if ever.

I am just hoping we can all work together to create something unprecedented! For sure this will be an unprecedented number of cachers working together to a common goal.

Over the weekend, I hope to be able to formulate a document outlining this project and setting the plan in motion. I hope to find some caches too.

Thanks all for your help and input!!!