The 50 State Multi-cache

I loooved the idea of the 50 state multi, but I recently realized that my husband and I will probably never get it done. Hopefully we'll get a few in sometime, though.

We took a 9 state road trip over spring break KY-TN-AL-MS-LA-TX-OK-AR-MO and I thought for sure I could manage to route us past at least a few of the caches. Every single one of the caches was at least a 50 mile round trip detour off the "big road" (the main interstates through the nation, especially I-20), except KY, and we can get that one any time.

Now I understand why there was the big campaign to plan out a route to drive the nation, and look for volunteers to place caches along the route. Anyone who does manage to get all 50 states will really be accomplishing a monumental task and deserves big kudos!

The biggest challenge with placing these caches near major arteries is that there are not many good places that have historical value that will hold large containers and not be muggled, hence the reason for putting one lower in the state like we did in LA. This cache is still near a main interstate and you can get off, get the cache, see a few sights and get back on again in an hour or less or you can take longer if you wish. Our cache has been up and running in good order since the first month or so and even came back into commision soon after it was muggled at it's first location. So unless you have actually took the time to put out one of these caches and did all the planning involved I don't think I would cast stones at those that did. I myself would be only too happy to get another CAA in any spot they were located.

Here's my thought on the "too far off the main road" argument: what are you out caching for?

When I go out caching, I want to see things that I haven't seen before. Something I would have missed had it not been for the cache bringing me to that particular location! I'm sure there are MANY great locations right off the main roads in every city, but those can be seen quickly and easily on any trip...some of these caches take you out into a nice little slice of that area's history! Off the "beaten path"!

My Michigan cache is roughly a half hour or so from I94, maybe an hour or so from 80-90 turnpike. If you read the cache page, you'll see that the history in this area is very rich! The road this park is on was an actual stage coach route, the park used to be a hideout for Al Capone,there's an actual war battlefield located to the east of this...right beside MIS! The Irish Hills is further east with several great attractions including Hayes State Park where you can camp and cache as there are several caches located there. About an hour souteast is a cemetery where some of the original Mayflower ancestors are laid to rest....

It may not be easy for someone to drive right to all these caches, but, if it were easy, someone would have done it by now, it would be boring and not worth doing, I wouldn't feel honored (as I surely do) to be an owner etc etc....

Here's my thought on the "too far off the main road" argument: what are you out caching for?

..some of these caches take you out into a nice little slice of that area's history! Off the "beaten path"!

Wow! I agree!!! And if you are going for drive-bys, you will not be at all happy with the New Mexico cache!!! Well, it's a drive-by cache, but it's smack in the middle of the state, where many New Mexicans have never been--and probably an hour off the freeway. But the terrain's about 1+1/2 stars.

I loooved the idea of the 50 state multi, but I recently realized that my husband and I will probably never get it done. Hopefully we'll get a few in sometime, though.

We took a 9 state road trip over spring break KY-TN-AL-MS-LA-TX-OK-AR-MO and I thought for sure I could manage to route us past at least a few of the caches. Every single one of the caches was at least a 50 mile round trip detour off the "big road" (the main interstates through the nation, especially I-20), except KY, and we can get that one any time.

Now I understand why there was the big campaign to plan out a route to drive the nation, and look for volunteers to place caches along the route. Anyone who does manage to get all 50 states will really be accomplishing a monumental task and deserves big kudos!

The biggest challenge with placing these caches near major arteries is that there are not many good places that have historical value that will hold large containers and not be muggled, hence the reason for putting one lower in the state like we did in LA. This cache is still near a main interstate and you can get off, get the cache, see a few sights and get back on again in an hour or less or you can take longer if you wish. Our cache has been up and running in good order since the first month or so and even came back into commision soon after it was muggled at it's first location. So unless you have actually took the time to put out one of these caches and did all the planning involved I don't think I would cast stones at those that did. I myself would be only too happy to get another CAA in any spot they were located.

I wasn't aware that I was "casting stones" at anyone, I wasn't even casting aspersions. I was only saying that they aren't easy to get to while doing something else.

That trip we took had plenty of side trips. During that trip I wrote about, we detoured into AL just for one cache (ended up doing two) and we went to OK for just one cache. We tried a second one in OK, but couldn't deal with the wet sand county roads after a big rainstorm earlier that day in the rental we were in, so we bailed on the second one. Just those two detours took us at least 165 miles "out of our way" from the big road. There were plenty of others that also called to us along the way. The route we took had a total of 28 hours of driving time, the direct route to our prime location is only a 12 hour drive. Obviously we took a couple of detours to find some caches that we valued.

Well, I did say that we won't get the entire series. Although with a different route we might have gotten one. I have two months off every summer, and could go do the whole thing in a summer or two at a leisurely pace if I wanted, but my husband only gets a week of vacation at a time. He just won't want to devote that kind of time and mileage to one theme every vacation for the next five years.

I wouldn't be so sure that trying to coordinate better route might not have been a good idea if you wanted more people to do the whole series --but it's certainly not something I'd even suggest you consider changing at this point. Main routes tend to go through places that have been historically important, and include towns and cities that have long been settled. That's why the roads go where they do. We managed to see plenty of places with historical value and all of them had splendid spots to place geocaches that aren't getting muggled. We had a wonderful time finding caches on our trip!

But my main point was to say that anyone who does the entire series will have really accomplished something. I'm not sure why you think that is a problem?

I just got the idea from your post that you were disgruntled with the CAA series and peeved that they weren't on the main arteries that were easier to get to and were dissing the whole shebang. We ourselves may never get the whole series done either but sure will get the ones we can get to on our trips.

CHECK THIS OUT! ...

The new Leaderboard from Kablooey...

Please note that this excludes Hawaii since it is a member's only cache and therefore doesn't work with his script.

I am totally BLOWN AWAY by how many people are so far on this!!!

spaceteacher (30):

AL,AR,CT,FL,GA,IL,IN,IA,KS,KY,LA,ME,MD,MA,MI,MN,MS,MO,NH,NY,NC,ND,OH,PA,RI,SC,TN,VT,WV,WI

Hopperz (25): AL,AZ,AR,CA,FL,GA,IN,KS,KY,LA,MI,MS,MO,NV,NM,NC,OH,OK,OR,SC,TN,TX,UT,VA,WV

ZSteve (25): AL,AZ,AR,CA,FL,GA,IN,KS,KY,LA,MI,MS,MO,NV,NM,NC,OH,OK,OR,SC,TN,TX,UT,VA,WV

Firefighter's Wife (17): CT,IN,IA,KY,ME,MD,MA,MI,MN,NY,ND,OH,PA,RI,TN,VT,WV

the hulk (10): AL,AZ,GA,KY,NV,SC,TN,UT,WA,WY

webscouter. (6): DE,IA,KS,MN,MS,NH

Captain Tuttle (6): AZ,CA,LA,NM,OK,TX

kablooey (6): CA,MA,NH,NY,RI,VT

A1D2 (5): AR,KY,NM,OK,TN

Team CB_Indy (5): AL,GA,IN,KS,TN

Bisanabi (5): CT,MA,NY,RI,VT

cyclegreen (4): AZ,ME,NH,NM

usyoopers (4): IN,MI,OH,WI

capmango (4): AZ,LA,TN,TX

FotoCEO (4): NV,NM,OR,UT

Russ and Dana (4): KS,MO,OR,WA

grossi (3): CA,OR,WA

MRC (3): KY,OK,TN

GeeO$$$ (3): AZ,CA,NM

2 Sonians (3): AZ,TX,WA

Blue Power Ranger (3): NV,WA,WY

Captain Nicholas (3): FL,NY,RI

PJH (3): KY,OK,TN

hobo dude (2): IA,SD

Impressive (2): CT,MA

Tapp Dawg (2): IN,KY

jcar (2): CA,WA

Dutch 53 & BB (2): KY,SD

NashvilleJoe (2): KY,TN

1manteam (2): ME,RI

Meerkats (2): CA,OR

Bulli the Wonder Dog (2): KY,TN

Geo Odyssey (2): NM,TX

Jett-set (2): TN,TX

FEATHERS (2): CT,MA

Coty-02 (2): MI,OH

Marbleguy (2): CT,MA

FLalaMingo (2): CT,MA

AbbysGrammy (2): KY,TN

Skrip (2): MI,OH

Wing It (2): MI,OH

njoyingthis (2): DE,MD

pixieslayer (2): ME,OK

jsj444 (2): MI,OH

VtEds (2): NH,VT

GEO-KEO (2): KY,TN

ar_kayaker (2): AR,TN

TheGadgetMan (2): AL,TN

flyingfisher (2): NH,VT

BAOCorienteer (2): CA,OR

jenbut (2): OR,UT

BackBrakeBilly (2): KY,TN

Teddofvt (2): PA,VT

Halfamind & My Better Half (2): NV,OR

cameltrekor (2): CT,MA

QSeekers (2): NH,VT

Rich the Bushwhacker (2): RI,VT

TheGilby3 (2): ND,SD

nevcowpok (2): NV,WA

knightcb (2): AK,OR

IC1 (2): KS,MO

Better Half (2): KY,TN

sun-moon-starz (2): KY,TN

KendraH (2): NV,WY

go sailing (2): TN,VT

budophylus (2): KY,TN

Hockey Buff (2): AK,WA

Team2hunt (2): ME,RI

Lil Devil (2): KY,TN

koneko (2): KY,TN

TeamSPAM (2): IA,MN

ADS1 (2): MS,TN

Bushwhacking Queen (2): TN,WI

DJ and CAL (2): NH,VT

MM32 (2): KY,TN

David (2): AL,TN

Tibby's People (2): OR,WA

twonutcaches (2): MI,OH

kcds (2): CA,OR

Taxman1 (2): MN,WI

BirdManOfCT (2): CT,MA

flask (2): NH,VT

cheech gang (2): MI,OH

pchrish (2): DE,MD

tuxcacher (2): AL,TN

kygreens (2): AL,KY

Anyone with ideas for the coins we are working on should contact me. I am working on some great ideas and would love any ideas you'd have. ALSO, if there's an artist out there that would like to work on the design, give me a yell and I'll shoot some ideas at you to work on. I may just have a gift as a THANK_YOU!

I'm working with BPR on this coin project, we hope to get a nice coin out very soon...maybe something extra special for all us owners as well!

Just a quick note that SD is back up and running. It had washed down into the sinkhole/gully thing that has been growing in the area. I tried finding the container several times without success. Today when I went out to replace the container I saw where the rain had washed away yet more mud and the bottom of it was visible - sticking out of the mud.

So the original container even came back. Now - who do I submit my laundry bill to - I am never going to get the clay off of my suit pants! :laughing::):laughing::)

384px-US_50_(CA).svg.png

WOO HOO!

All 50 states are up and in place. 49 are currently active and Colorado is in the process of moving to a better location.

It is all in the hands of flyingmoose now to get the final up in DC and this series will be complete! We know it is being worked on diligetnly!

THANKS to everyone that has helped in so so many ways.

:laughing:;);););):tired::(:(:(

PS - We are putting together a coin for the series. You can find out more info on this thread!

Edited by Blue Power Ranger

We are headed out on a family vacation to New England area mid-May and will try to get 7 more states. I was looking through the logs today and I noticed that Rhode Island had not been found recently. The same cachers came back twice and still could not find it.

Is there any way the owner can verify that the cache is still where it is supposed to be? I would hate to travel all the way from Washington State to Rhode Island only to come up short.

Thanks! :mad:

Edited by the hulk

Hulk...your best bet is to email the owner of a cache in question directly! I'd be willing to bet that most owners are more than happy to know of a visitor coming...I'd come out and visit with any coming to Mi (if I'm available of course)! Also, knowing of a visit in the near future gives us a chance to assure the cache is in place and not muggled...best for those making long trips!

Owners...we really need to keep our CAAs available and in good shape...you never know when someone will be making a trip just for one of our hides! I know I'd feel badly if someone came from several hundred miles away to find my cache missing! Since these are supposed to be easy finds, I'm hoping everyone realizes a DNF likely means cache missing!

The Blue Power Rangers had a great idea, we need to keep it the series they intended it to be...one we can all (owners AND finders) be proud to be a part of!

Owners...we really need to keep our CAAs available and in good shape...you never know when someone will be making a trip just for one of our hides! I know I'd feel badly if someone came from several hundred miles away to find my cache missing! Since these are supposed to be easy finds, I'm hoping everyone realizes a DNF likely means cache missing!

The Blue Power Rangers had a great idea, we need to keep it the series they intended it to be...one we can all (owners AND finders) be proud to be a part of!

Exactly. I do maintenance on my CAA more often than my other caches. Depending on schedule, I too would try to meet anyone traveling a long distance for the cache. I even get a local to watch it when I'm out of town so that if there's a problem, it's up and running quickly. Thanks for the reminder Rockin Roddy.

Edited by DaisyChain

384px-US_50_(CA).svg.png

WOO HOO!

All 50 states are up and in place. 49 are currently active and Colorado is in the process of moving to a better location.

Yes!! Finally it's all up and running. I'm also thrilled to note that spaceteacher from just up the road has found the majority of these caches!! Go spaceteacher!!

Any word on Colorado? I"ll be passing through there next month...

:unsure: Received this today.....

"Location: Colorado, United States

cameltrekor archived Cache Across America - Colorado (old school) (Archived) (Traditional Cache) at 5/3/2007

Log Date: 5/3/2007

This cache is closed and removed. The new CAA-CO cache is GC12D52."

FYI

John

Just as a side note my five year old plans on getting a job as the Blue Power Ranger when he grows up.

You might want to make sure you have your retirement plans in order.

Oh, sometimes you need to Report your own thread to get the notice of a moderator to close it. (And yes this is an acceptable practice)