The 50 State Multi-cache

Here is an idea make the cache in or near the capital city of each state. It could be a virtual and some information could be gained from a sign etc.

The hard part would be do they have to be done in a specific order? Or can they be done randomly? Maybe this has already been addressed and I missed it.

In order to get credit for any state you log it and then email the "owner/keeper" of the cache to verify the find. Any one who posts without getting verification would have the claim removed.

Also all of the caches would have to be easily accessible 24/7 by anyone, including mobility challenged persons. Additionally, steps would have to be taken to prevent internet searches, a photo at the sight would help alleviate this situation.

Getting 50 in 50 states would be challenging enough without having to solve a puzzle or anything.

The only reason I would require any cache to be done in a specific sequence would be the last cache. I would make that in DC. The information would be held in secret by a committee of people who would give the info for the final cache only after the 50 states were verified.

Dan

Let me know if you need someone for Colorado. As long as the caches are truly on public property and are available 24/7, to handicapped cachers and are virtual so there is no problem with trespass I would be happy to participate

Here is an idea make the cache in or near the capital city of each state. It could be a virtual and some information could be gained from a sign etc.

The hard part would be do they have to be done in a specific order? Or can they be done randomly? Maybe this has already been addressed and I missed it.

In order to get credit for any state you log it and then email the "owner/keeper" of the cache to verify the find. Any one who posts without getting verification would have the claim removed.

Also all of the caches would have to be easily accessible 24/7 by anyone, including mobility challenged persons. Additionally, steps would have to be taken to prevent internet searches, a photo at the sight would help alleviate this situation.

Getting 50 in 50 states would be challenging enough without having to solve a puzzle or anything.

The only reason I would require any cache to be done in a specific sequence would be the last cache. I would make that in DC. The information would be held in secret by a committee of people who would give the info for the final cache only after the 50 states were verified.

Dan

Let me know if you need someone for Colorado. As long as the caches are truly on public property and are available 24/7, to handicapped cachers and are virtual so there is no problem with trespass I would be happy to participate

BPR will be with you shortly for the stock answer...

If you get it together, I would love to do utah, and I am close to Idaho, Wyoming, and Nevada if you need extra coverage.

Thanks for the offer. Utah is up already and Idaho is coming very soon. Wyoming is also up (found it Saturday myself) and Nevada is up (found it today :anibad: while driving from Salt Lake to Seattle)

Here is the current map...

955f66b3-54aa-4093-ba57-8381ce1f5337.jpg

We are SO close to having this whole thing up.

It was so fun and satisfying to visit a couple of these caches myself. I was on a three day, 2400 mile roadtrip with The Hulk (10 CAA finds) during which we found two CAA caches and regular caches in seven different states.

Edited by Blue Power Ranger

I have the Connecticut Cache and I got an e-mail about an archived log this morning. It seems that someone logged (in and out) a coin as being there and then archived the entry. I went to check it and this person has done the same thing with 10 of the caches in this series. Checking the logbook of the cache does not list any visit by this person.

Here is the log entry: Bug Dip?

Here is the "travels" for this travel bug: Fire Fighters Wife's Kansas Sunshine Geocoin

Why would someone do this? They have over 1000 cache finds. I wonder how many they truly have found. I am still amazed that some people only worry about numbers. :anibad:

Edited by heckle

I know Fire Fighters Wife is on the road traveling and using a very slow connection. My guess knowing her is that she logged the wrong cache from GSAK and therefor the reason for the archived log.

But she did not log the cache, she dropped a travelbug and then archived it. She also did the same thing on other caches in this series with the travel bug. BEsides, wouldn't it have been easier to just delete the log instead of archive it?

Edited by heckle

Ok, so that map that BPR posted made me feel really really behind! There was Illinois in the middle, the lone unplaced cache in the plains... ;)

BUT, I have good news! The park manager has given me conditional approval for the cache! yay! He knows exactly where I want to put it, and how, and he's completely fine with it, with the container, with the trade items, etc etc. The only reason it is conditional is that for his paperwork to be complete, I have to give the location marked off on a 7.5 USGS topo map, which is proving challenging to locate. I have about 5 phone messages waiting at the retailers in a 2+ hour radius - hopefully one of them can come through so that I don't have to wait the 6 weeks to get one in the mail. :anibad: (no, topozone maps and the like don't count). Cross your fingers and hope that the forest service or the for profit retailers have one in stock. :D At this point, from when I get the topomap until when this one is in place and it goes to the GC.com reviewer should be less than 24 hours.

Once the full series is running, we will include a "leader-board" of sorts on that cache's page, much as you might see on a Delorme Page. (link to sample).

I think it would be SO cool if some smart person could find a way to turn the state borders into an onverlay like the WDC-GE.KMZ file in the above cache. Then we could add a placemark for the caches in the state and we would have a great map to trace progress in. It would be a lot of lines to draw, but cool if we could do it.

A quick update. I expect spaceteacher to move into the #2 spot soon; so this should be the last time you see the top two on the list with no shared states.

the hulk (10): Alabama,Arizona,Georgia,Kentucky,Nevada,South Carolina,Tennessee,Utah,Washington,Wyoming

kablooey (6): California,Massachusetts,New Hampshire,New York,Rhode Island,Vermont

spaceteacher (4): Alabama,Kentucky,Maryland,Tennessee

Team CB_Indy (4): Alabama,Georgia,Indiana,Tennessee

ZSteve (4): Nevada,New Mexico,Oregon,Utah

Hopperz (4): Nevada,New Mexico,Oregon,Utah

cyclegreen (3): Arizona,Maine,New Hampshire

MRC (3): Kentucky,Oklahoma,Tennessee

pjh (3): Kentucky,Oklahoma,Tennessee

Bisanabi (3): Massachusetts,New York,Vermont

capmango (3): Louisiana,Tennessee,Texas

Blue Power Ranger (3): Nevada,Washington,Wyoming

hobo dude (2): Iowa,South Dakota

Russ and Dana (2): Oregon,Washington

Rich the Bushwhacker (2): Rhode Island,Vermont

nevcowpok (2): Nevada,Washington

IC1 (2): Kansas,Missouri

sun-moon-starz (2): Kentucky,Tennessee

budophylus (2): Kentucky,Tennessee

2 Sonians (2): Arizona,Washington

ADS1 (2): Mississippi,Tennessee

Bushwhacking Queen (2): Tennessee,Wisconsin

shanieh (2): Oregon,Washington

VtEds (2): New Hampshire,Vermont

kcds (2): California,Oregon

jenbut (2): Oregon,Utah

Edited by kablooey

Ok, so that map that BPR posted made me feel really really behind! There was Illinois in the middle, the lone unplaced cache in the plains... :rolleyes:

BUT, I have good news! The park manager has given me conditional approval for the cache! yay! He knows exactly where I want to put it, and how, and he's completely fine with it, with the container, with the trade items, etc etc. The only reason it is conditional is that for his paperwork to be complete, I have to give the location marked off on a 7.5 USGS topo map, which is proving challenging to locate. I have about 5 phone messages waiting at the retailers in a 2+ hour radius - hopefully one of them can come through so that I don't have to wait the 6 weeks to get one in the mail. ;) (no, topozone maps and the like don't count). Cross your fingers and hope that the forest service or the for profit retailers have one in stock. :) At this point, from when I get the topomap until when this one is in place and it goes to the GC.com reviewer should be less than 24 hours.

You should be able to get one from the USGS in less than a week.

or if you're willing to pay contact (they carry all the topos for the US in stock)

ALLIED MAP SERVICES

info@alliedmaps.com

966 N MAIN ST

ORANGE, CA 92867

Phone: 714.532.4300

Phone: 714.532.4337

Fax: 714.538.0384 (ORDERS ONLY)

WE ACCEPT ALL MAJOR CREDIT CARDS AND SHIP BY UPS.

WE ARE OPEN MONDAY THRU FRIDAY - 10AM TO 6PM

Yeah!!! I just got out of a meeting with the land manager for the Alaska cache. The cache is hidden (I just need to add some good swag) and I took my first of what will be three readings of the coordinates. Tonight I'll work on getting the thing submitted, and by the end of the week it could be active! What a week... Logged my 100 find, and get to hide my first cache!

Sorry for the delay, but it'll be worth it. The hide is pretty basic, but it highlights a uniquely Alaskan feature, and for anyone doing the tourism thing, it'll be a must place to stop.

This sounds like an awesome idea! I'd volunteer to maintain and even pay for and plant the Maryland cache, but I see it is already taken. This will definitely be in the route for a roadtrip with friends when I get around to it (and if the cache is approved). Best of luck!

-Hybridgeek

This sounds like an awesome idea! I'd volunteer to maintain and even pay for and plant the Maryland cache, but I see it is already taken. This will definitely be in the route for a roadtrip with friends when I get around to it (and if the cache is approved). Best of luck!

It's been up for a month: GCXM3E

:anicute:

Quiggle (the one that published the cache :anicute:)

Edited by Quiggle

Update on the remaining states: It looks like a few of the states remaining to be hidden for this series will be published very soon. (Alaska, Idaho, Illinois, etc.) :anicute:

It also looks like there will be at least a handful of states that we will need new hiders for.

In a few days, I will request help on a set list of right around five states from new volunteers. These would be for states in which the people hiding have not responded to several recent attempts at contact or have requested that we find another hider. Of course no hard feelings, stuff happens and this was expected to some degree.

I am feeling a lot of motivation for getting these things done in the right way but still ASAP as it is very obvious that some folks are taking this challenge seriously and I want to make certain the pieces are in place for them as they travel.

The response to this and the job done by all volunteers has been fantastic. I am so excited to see this whole series in place. Geocachers are the best!

Illinois is placed!!

BIG thanks to ILReviewer who helped out with the topomap dilemma. B)

Once we got the topomap, Mike instantly gave full permission, and the main IL DNR office concurred. So, with park and DNR permission, we were able to drive on down to the park and place it this afternoon. I'd already started working on the webpage for the cache (gcyrgy), so once we got home, it was just a matter of fine-tuning the details (and remembering to check the "this cache is now active" box!) and it was submitted.

Now we just get to wait for it to be reviewed. I think that ILReviewer is on a short hiatus, so it might take a few extra days until another reviewer has a chance to read it. Just be patient, ok? Andrew or I will post as soon as it comes online. (keep your fingers crossed that the reviewer has no major problems with the cache!)

I noticed Georgia was covered by ones with multiple resposibilities. If a Georgia only cacher is needed, I am would be glad to help.

Thanks, but I've got this covered. I think. :unsure:

Tell ya what though, I've been thinking of an evil multi and I get to Leesburg from time to time. (One of my GFs lives there.) If you'd like to collaborate on a 100 mile multi, shoot me a note.

Blue Power Ranger Oct 6 2006, 07:44 AM Post #706

Wyoming has published. Way to go Onerka! I am 100 miles west of the location right now. Can you say FTF?

I would like to thank Onerka for helping me out by placing the Wyoming Cache. Sounds like it is quite a grand view. I thought hard and long for a location around Gillette, but couldn't come up with something as beautiful as the Tetons or as interesting as Jackson Hole, Wyoming. Again, Thanks Rob.

Illinois is published!

Illinois

(if anyone can explain to me how to add links and/or pictures within my section of the text, and is willing to help me through the process, please e-mail me -- beffums@gmail.com -- we have decent pictures of the cave to upload, but I couldn't figure out how.

The most basic pic we have...

a7f3501f-5bfe-4c2b-a99c-bb07ae485d9c.jpg

First Off, thanks to Blue Power Ranger for the great idea!

Being in the military, I find myself in many different States / Countries. As I leave South Korea, and return to the USA, I can place a cache in Hawaii, and in Alabama, but I can’t monitor them, as I will be stationed in Washington State, and Blue Power Ranger has spoken for that state. Willing to help if able.

spaceteacher (12): Alabama,Connecticut,Kentucky,Maine,Maryland,Massachusetts,New Hampshire,Pennsylvania,Rhode Island,Tennessee,Vermont,West Virginia

the hulk (10): Alabama,Arizona,Georgia,Kentucky,Nevada,South Carolina,Tennessee,Utah,Washington,Wyoming

kablooey (6): California,Massachusetts,New Hampshire,New York,Rhode Island,Vermont

Bisanabi (4): Massachusetts,New York,Rhode Island,Vermont

Team CB_Indy (4): Alabama,Georgia,Indiana,Tennessee

ZSteve (4): Nevada,New Mexico,Oregon,Utah

Hopperz (4): Nevada,New Mexico,Oregon,Utah

cyclegreen (3): Arizona,Maine,New Hampshire

MRC (3): Kentucky,Oklahoma,Tennessee

pjh (3): Kentucky,Oklahoma,Tennessee

capmango (3): Louisiana,Tennessee,Texas

Blue Power Ranger (3): Nevada,Washington,Wyoming

hobo dude (2): Iowa,South Dakota

grossi (2): Oregon,Washington

Russ and Dana (2): Oregon,Washington

Rich the Bushwhacker (2): Rhode Island,Vermont

nevcowpok (2): Nevada,Washington

IC1 (2): Kansas,Missouri

FEATHERS (2): Connecticut,Massachusetts

sun-moon-starz (2): Kentucky,Tennessee

KendraH (2): Nevada,Wyoming

budophylus (2): Kentucky,Tennessee

FLalaMingo (2): Connecticut,Massachusetts

koneko (2): Kentucky,Tennessee

2 Sonians (2): Arizona,Washington

ADS1 (2): Mississippi,Tennessee

Bushwhacking Queen (2): Tennessee,Wisconsin

shanieh (2): Oregon,Washington

VtEds (2): New Hampshire,Vermont

kcds (2): California,Oregon

jenbut (2): Oregon,Utah

There are a couple of people who have logged multiple finds on the same cache. I haven't adjusted the script to ignore the duplicates yet.

Firefighter's Wife (14): CT,IN,KY,ME,MD,MA,MI,NY,OH,PA,RI,TN,VT,WV

spaceteacher (12): AL,CT,KY,ME,MD,MA,NH,PA,RI,TN,VT,WV

the hulk (10): AL,AZ,GA,KY,NV,SC,TN,UT,WA,WY

kablooey (6): CA,MA,NH,NY,RI,VT

Bisanabi (4): MA,NY,RI,VT

Team CB_Indy (4): AL,GA,IN,TN

ZSteve (4): NV,NM,OR,UT

Hopperz (4): NV,NM,OR,UT

cyclegreen (3): AZ,ME,NH

MRC (3): KY,OK,TN

pjh (3): KY,OK,TN

capmango (3): LA,TN,TX

Blue Power Ranger (3): NV,WA,WY

hobo dude (2): IA,SD

grossi (2): OR,WA

Russ and Dana (2): OR,WA

Rich the Bushwhacker (2): RI,VT

nevcowpok (2): NV,WA

QT & the Beast (2): IN,IN

IC1 (2): KS,MO

FEATHERS (2): CT,MA

sun-moon-starz (2): KY,TN

KendraH (2): NV,WY

budophylus (2): KY,TN

FLalaMingo (2): CT,MA

koneko (2): KY,TN

2 Sonians (2): AZ,WA

ADS1 (2): MS,TN

Bushwhacking Queen (2): TN,WI

shanieh (2): OR,WA

VtEds (2): NH,VT

kcds (2): CA,OR

ar_kayaker (2): AR,TN

yagergreen1981 (2): UT,UT

jenbut (2): OR,UT

:shakes her head & wonders how much time some people have & it must be nice: heheh

Anyways, I know of one that is going to make these finders go Hmmm!

heheheh

How many of the 50 do we have active currently? 45?

Uh, please be nice with the CAA hides. You will find that some seekers will be coming from VERY far for these caches so we don't necessarily want to be seeing DNFs on these logs. :rolleyes:

42 currently active.

Oh dont worry bosspeople :)

I doubt they will have any DNFs on my cache as if they cant figure it out from my info then the clue will point them to the right spot.

I was out today getting coords so now I just need to finish off the container, get it placed & get it approved by GC reviewer as I already have state park approval.

The travel is one reason I'm not going after this series myself, just cant swing it now but if I could I'd be after it like a goose after corn. :)