The 50 State Multi-cache

Well, I never got to place the Virginia cache when I was hoping to! Had some problems! But the container is finished, stocked and ready to go! I will be over in the area in which I wish to hide the cache within the near future! I need to run over there for some business, so hopefully VA is only a little ways away from being added to the completed list!

When is the placement deadline? At what point will alternative placers be allowed to take over the state?

I will be emailing our final 15 people today and tomorrow to make contact with them. Many people have contacted us and are working incredibly hard on getting all the right permission needed. Some of these locations are too great to just give up on while there is a hope.

I will also ask people if they are still wanting to hide their state, and if not once we have heard back from all 15, I will post a list of new states that would be open for new hiders.

We are so incredibly impressed with all the hides so far. This has become a really cool project to be involved in!

We will keep everyone updated!!

I got New York. Just let me know what to do.

New York is actually up and running.

Right now we are down to the final 15 states plus the final. I just emailed the people what we had for those states and the final. (In case you are one of them, yes I didn't spell check and the word your went out as yor. :D )

Once I hear from people we will let everyone know if we need anymore volunteers.

BadAndy - thanks for watching your cache like that. We appreciate it! I know a couple others have done that as well and it just speaks well for the longevity of this project.

Thanks again!

Blue Power Ranger

Edited by Blue Power Ranger

If the people for New Jersey or Deleware don't come through with a cache, I am availible. I have a good spot in south jersey's Wharton State Forest or a nice big park near Wilmington, DE.

Thank you again for the offer. We currently have hiders for all 50 states.

Didn't read the entire thread. I only checked this out because a search reveald my name mentioned in this thread.

If I were YOU. I'd take ANY number of caches in any state to give folks a number to choose from for easier routing and because if that ONE waypoint in any given state goes missing the whole house of cards comes down for the folks on the quest.

Didn't read the entire thread. I only checked this out because a search reveald my name mentioned in this thread.

If I were YOU. I'd take ANY number of caches in any state to give folks a number to choose from for easier routing and because if that ONE waypoint in any given state goes missing the whole house of cards comes down for the folks on the quest.

I hate to say it, but those who have read and followed the topic can pretty much tell you didn't read it.

This issue has been discussed to death in this topic. Blue Power Ranger is running this project and understands these issues. I would hope the debate regarding this issue can remain over and the topic and project can keep moving as it has been recently. I just don't want to see the topic go back down that road again if it doesn't have to.

Sorry Snoogans. You came to the party late.

All 50 states and DC have been spoken for. The project has shifted to implementation some time ago. If changes are needed, Blue Power Ranger and those that are helping with the project will decide what needs to be done.

Congrats to all on getting this project 70 percent completed.

Edited by mtn-man

If you try hard enough, you can forsee doom for everything . . .

Hopefully, the owners participating will stay involved,and replace it quickly and things will be ok -

I guess If It Happens then we'll see what happens.....

:ph34r:

Doesn't matter how dedicated the cachers are..... If a cache is down for 1 day with NO back-up anywhere in the state, what option does the finder have? With only 50 possible waypoints the project might be perpetually disabled due to one waypoint or another being down.

How would you feel if you flew or drove to Alaska to find the ONLY 50 State cache there and that had just happened to have gone newly missing and the cache owner is down in the lower 48 on vacation? :ph34r:

Oh well, like Mtn-Man said, I'm late to the party. I never looked in here because I wasn't interested in participating, but to me the logic is flawed in what is otherwise an interesting project.

I commend those involved on the work that has been done thus far.

Someone please email me when a cacher manages to find all 50. I'd like to help celebrate. :P:P

Oh well, like Mtn-Man said, I'm late to the party. I never looked in here because I wasn't interested in participating, but to me the logic is flawed in what is otherwise an interesting project.

It was brought up somewhere in the first 10 or so pages. I know, because I was one of the folks who had the same concern. If something happens, I feel certain that BPR will be all over it. I can imagine that there are people in each state who would be happy to back up someone who drops out. It has been discussed and appears to be a non-issue at this point.

Another one up and running - we are up to 36 now.

We have heard back from about 10 of the 14 left regarding their caches.

Most have specific places in mind and are just waiting for the permissions needed.

But it is the weekend, and I am sure the others are busy out geocaching..... I'm jealous..... :D

My homestate OHIO is now published.

Thanks to JIMBOBWE for hiding this one.

Like I had said, once we have heard from all 14 of the remaining people, we will let everyone know if there are any states available.

Thanks again to everyone involved.

Cache Across America – Connecticut is also up and running now.

Way to go Heckle and Daddy's girl!

This one is a little different in that it is a simple short multi. Normally of course we would prefer a standard cache but Heckle voiced the need to keep cachers to a specific path. We have assurances that the stages are close together.

Just 13 to go! :)

Edit: It has now been disabled. Looks like it may have been published prematurely. Oh well, we know it is coming soon at least right?

13 14 to go.

Just for fun, here is the current map...

ae70242d-3dca-4ca0-9dab-cde38df69992.jpg

Cache Across America – Connecticut (GCY9H4) has been placed and approved.

If you look at the cache page, this is a small multi. I did get approval on making this a multi to keep people from heading right towards it and back. It is placed very close to a main hiking trail that is used alot. The distance between the legs are not much at all. The total distance from the parking area to the final (both stages and final) is less than 400 feet.

There is no way for me to read this all, but it is an excellent idea. Maybe this was already mentioned, but since I don't have a lifetime to read it, is this a true "Multi Cache?" If so, the way it could work is for each cache to have TWO different coordinates depending on which way the cacher wants to head. In essence, a circle that can be navigated in either direction. This way, a person could start any where on the circle and do the Multi. Of course, the beginning coordinate for each cacher would differ, so BPR would have his hands full with that, keeping record of who has received a starting coordinate and who has not. Unless this is actually 50 separate caches, with each published as a separate cache. As for a FINAL cache location, either have hints in random caches:

ABC DE. FGH IJK LM.NOP with some caches having one VARIABLE and some not having a VARIABLE.

Or have some code in each cache, and all 50 codes sent to BPR for varification and then receive the final coordinates.

Be sure to start a new thread when this Multi is complete. I would probably start in either Denver or Flagstaff, and try to do the circuit over a period of time.

Question though, if this is TRUE MULTI, would it be ONE find or FIFTY finds?

OK, just read my first cache. There is a code, so my idea was good. Next, they are 50 individual caches, so not a true Multi where you get coordinates to the next cache from the current cache.

Maybe in the future, a fun True Multi could be done, with two coordinates in each cache, for either direction.

Excellent job BPR.

Edited by Inmountains

I've been sadly checking every day for the past week hoping to see some of the remaining dozen caches publish but have seen nothing.

Anyone getting close? Can someone throw be a bone?

Working on Arkansas, I have gotten the container ready and picked a spot, Currently waiting for the Ranger to get off of training so I can go forward with getting the needed permit to place. So, I am mostly ready, just waiting on the red-tape to get permission to put it in place and post

Sorry for being missing in action for so long. Wyoming's cache may be taken over by "onerka". He lives in Jackson Hole and has several sites he is looking at. Placing the cache in Gillette was not working so well. Hopefully we can have something up soon. So sorry for the delay.

I'm so excited to hear that the remainder of the caches seem to be imminent. There are several cachers now who are going far out of their way to log caches in this series so I feel very responsible to see this brought up to "full power" ASAP.

One of our local Washington cachers has now found Cache Across America caches in Washington, Utah, Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama & Kentucky. She will be doing South Carolina today and that same cacher intends to add Nevada and Idaho (if posted) on a trip in the next two weeks. This cacher actually intends to complete this whole series and based on what they have done so far, I don't doubt that they will do it quite quickly. :lol:

Once the full series is running, we will include a "leader-board" of sorts on that cache's page, much as you might see on a Delorme Page. (link to sample).

Thanks again to all hiders. Please let me know if there is ANYTHING at all I can do to help. I am happy to make phone calls, write letters or do whatever you might need done in order to secure hide permission.

:lol:

Sorry for being missing in action for so long. Wyoming's cache may be taken over by "onerka". He lives in Jackson Hole and has several sites he is looking at. Placing the cache in Gillette was not working so well. Hopefully we can have something up soon. So sorry for the delay.

We have a few options in central WY as well. I've got an ammo box ready to go that we were already planning to place during our next free day out. Not a big deal either way, though. The cache will be placed soon regardless of if its just a normal traditional or part of something else.

I'm so excited to hear that the remainder of the caches seem to be imminent. There are several cachers now who are going far out of their way to log caches in this series so I feel very responsible to see this brought up to "full power" ASAP.

Just an update. Arkansas has hit another Delay. Nothing serious, but there is a new Ranger Approving Caches and this will be her fisrt cache to approve, and she is moving a little slow getting back to me, but the guy she is replacing thinks the spot should get approved

Just an update. Arkansas has hit another Delay. Nothing serious, but there is a new Ranger Approving Caches and this will be her fisrt cache to approve, and she is moving a little slow getting back to me, but the guy she is replacing thinks the spot should get approved

Thanks! Glad to hear that you are taking the time to get formal approval from the ranger.

Sorry to all for the extended delay on placing the Illinois cache. I'd kept BPR up to date, but to give a short explanation...

First cache option was wayyy too bogged down in red tape and looked unlikely. So, started to search for a secondary area. Then, back in August, went caching in Kentucky with some friends, and went back to a cache that JAPTKD and I'd already found, just to watch them find it. several deer ticks later, I ended up with both Lyme disease and Rocky Mtn spotted fever. ugh. Quite honestly, going out to the woods to place a new cache was the LAST thing on my mind!

Good news - the place I have in mind seems like a go this time. Have been talking with the DNR folks, and so far as they know, there's no reason why it would be a problem. I'm to talk with the park manager for the specific park tomorrow, and, as hubby mentioned a few logs back, it's likely that this one will be placed within 10-14 days. Then it's all up to ILAdmin/ILReviewer. :bad: It won't be an ammocan in the woods, because IL DNR forbids those, so it will have to be a large lock-n-lock in the woods. :bad: Figured you'd forgive me for that one.

Again - sorry about the long dealay, but hopefully you'll be seeing IL within 2 weeks.

It looks like IL is a go. Beffums and I have had a little back and forth with the IL DNR, largely to get in touch with the right people, but they said as long as the cache conforms to the general IL DNR guidelines, it should be approved. :D Now to just find the park and the perfect spot in the park. :lol:

Edited by japtkd

Great! It sounds like Illinois, Wyoming and Idaho will probably be the next three to be placed.

I'm personally rooting for Idaho and Wyoming since I am taking a little trip next weekend that may bring me in the vicinity of those if they are up. :D

I believe "The Hulk" is the current CAA leader with seven caches found. Anyone have more than that?

According to my (probably buggy) script:

the hulk (7)

kablooey (6)

Team CB_Indy (4)

ZSteve (4)

Hopperz (4)

cyclegreen (3)

spaceteacher (3)

capmango (3)

hobo dude (2)

Russ and Dana (2)

Rich the Bushwhacker (2)

nevcowpok (2)

QT & the Beast (2)

IC1 (2)

2 Sonians (2)

ADS1 (2)

Bushwhacking Queen (2)

shanieh (2)

kcds (2)

yagergreen1981 (2)

ModelCitizen (2)

jenbut (2)

That is great Kablooey! I knew you were up there too. I was recently reviewing all of the photos on all of the caches and had seen yours come up several times.

I know that the hulk's find list will be growing in the next couple of weeks. (lucky traveler!)

Is there a way I can run your script too? I would love to keep a leader-board and that might be the ticket!

That is great Kablooey! I knew you were up there too. I was recently reviewing all of the photos on all of the caches and had seen yours come up several times.

I know that the hulk's find list will be growing in the next couple of weeks. (lucky traveler!)

Is there a way I can run your script too? I would love to keep a leader-board and that might be the ticket!

My find list isn't likely to grow very quickly. I found five on a trip to New England over Labor Day weekend before Maine, Connecticut, and Pennsylvania went live. I don't have any more trips planned this year.

My script isn't fully automated (it requires manually downloading data from gc.com), but if you have Perl installed, I can send you the script and instructions.

According to my (probably buggy) script:

the hulk (7)

kablooey (6)

Team CB_Indy (4)...

I was talking with The Hulk this evening... if things get published on time for them, they may be up to 11 in the next two weeks. :blink:

Please, if you have caches yet to be placed, place them as quickly as possible for those seeking to complete this series!