The 50 State Multi-cache

It would be cool to see the US map, with the caches marked on it!

Please bare with me, I am working on a Frappr map to indicate the location of the caches.

Well I hope I am doing this correct, but take a look at what I have started. I hope to finish this tonight.

Frappr - Cache Across America

I am currently having issues with setting this up. I have posted a new topic HERE to try and get answers. Please feel free to chime in over there if you can be of assistance.

Just for clarifications, I like all the maps that have been created, however the reason I am trying to set up a Frappr is because it is easy to edit in real time instead of downloading and importing/exporting the info into mapping programs. In addition, I will be providing links for each location when it is up and running.

Another one up and running.....

Thanks to PTO for hiding the Minnesota cache.

These are getting approved very fast. Thank you to all the hiders for doing such a great job on these, that they can be approved so fast. And thanks to all the reviewers for approving them so quickly.

Now - who will find Minnesota first???

And the countdown one more time - 28 done - 22 and the final to go.

Blue Power Ranger

Please bare with me, I am working on a Frappr map to indicate the location of the caches.

Well I hope I am doing this correct, but take a look at what I have started. I hope to finish this tonight.

I am currently having issues with setting this up. I have posted a new topic HERE to try and get answers. Please feel free to chime in over there if you can be of assistance.

Just for clarifications, I like all the maps that have been created, however the reason I am trying to set up a Frappr is because it is easy to edit in real time instead of downloading and importing/exporting the info into mapping programs. In addition, I will be providing links for each location when it is up and running.

Got it working just fine now.

I have finished updating the Frappr map with all 28 locations to date, please feel free to take a look: Frappr - Cache Across America . I will update the map as the remaining states get placed and approved.

Very nice but I am curious how come we are showing two caches in Nevada? There should not be the one in the Reno area that is on the map.

Looking a little closer, I am also seeing that the other locations appear to be 100+ miles off. I am looking in particular at the Washington cache which I know is in Seattle. The cache is showing as being 100+ miles east of Seattle. Looks like the same for Oregon. I can only assume there are some issues with some of the others too.

I love looking at these maps though! Thanks for working on this!!! <_<

I have finished updating the Frappr map with all 28 locations to date, please feel free to take a look: Frappr - Cache Across America . I will update the map as the remaining states get placed and approved.

Very nice but I am curious how come we are showing two caches in Nevada? There should not be the one in the Reno area that is on the map.

Alright Frappr may not be the way to go for this, As mentioned in my previous posts I was having problems with the locations. I thought I had the problem resolve and even had someone else working on it. The problem is I am placing the locations by coordinates that are given to my by Google Earth. When saving the coordinates you have to give it a location so I have been just naming it by the state the cache is in, it does not like that ( I guess that there is a reason the ampping is in Beta?).

Specifically Nevada, it kept moving to Carson City when it was saved, I know this wasn't correct, and I am not confident that the location now is correct. I think what it wants for location is the exact city, however this will not work for some of the caches.

As of right now until the bugs are worked out I would not recommend using this map for any kind of referance. i will continue to work on it and will send emails to there tech to see if it can get worked out. I will however keep it for me and will share when it is correct.

As a side note since I know where the Utah cache is, when I woke up to check the map ( had someone else working on it), appears as if all locations have shifted <_< .

Edited by Damenace

Alright Frappr may not be the way to go for this, As mentioned in my previous posts I was having problems with the locations. I thought I had the problem resolve and even had someone else working on it. The problem is I am placing the locations by coordinates that are given to my by Google Earth. When saving the coordinates you have to give it a location so I have been just naming it by the state the cache is in, it does not like that ( I guess that there is a reason the ampping is in Beta?).

Specifically Nevada, it kept moving to Carson City when it was saved, I know this wasn't correct, and I am not confident that the location now is correct. I think what it wants for location is the exact city, however this will not work for some of the caches.

As of right now until the bugs are worked out I would not recommend using this map for any kind of referance. i will continue to work on it and will send emails to there tech to see if it can get worked out. I will however keep it for me and will share when it is correct.

As a side note since I know where the Utah cache is, when I woke up to check the map ( had someone else working on it), appears as if all locations have shifted <_< .

The Massachusetts cache is located in the western part of the state, but the current map is showing it some 90 miles east near Boston. shich is consistent with the errors discussed for other states. At it's current location, the Massachusetts label is mostly covered by the Rhode Island label, but the two caches are not near each other. Since the New England states are smaller than many others, you will probably have the overlap problem with the size of the labels - so even when the MA cache is moved to its correct location in the west closer to New York, south of Vermont, & north of Connecticut, there is still the chance that there will be overlapping. :unsure:

As a side note since I know where the Utah cache is, when I woke up to check the map ( had someone else working on it), appears as if all locations have shifted :huh: .

The Massachusetts cache is located in the western part of the state, but the current map is showing it some 90 miles east near Boston. shich is consistent with the errors discussed for other states. At it's current location, the Massachusetts label is mostly covered by the Rhode Island label, but the two caches are not near each other. Since the New England states are smaller than many others, you will probably have the overlap problem with the size of the labels - so even when the MA cache is moved to its correct location in the west closer to New York, south of Vermont, & north of Connecticut, there is still the chance that there will be overlapping. :huh:

As mentioned, please do not use this map for referance. They are all off, but I do not want to delete it. I would rather work with it as they continue to beta test.

My first notion for the Illinois cache ended up mired in approval red tape. So, at this point, I think I'm going to search out a new hiding spot instead. Sorry for the delay, but hopefully this weekend I'll be able to come up with a new notion for where to try.

... mired in approval red tape.

Not uncommon.

A lot of the remaining hiders have let us know that they are in a similar mire. Please everyone, just keep pressing forward the best you can. It is so exciting to see these published. I can't wait to see them all live and ready to find.

If there is ANYTHING I can do to help any of you in getting things approved with your local agencies, letter-writing, phone calls, etc. Please just let me know.

If there is anyone that volunteered originally but has decided that maybe they can't do their state for whatever reason, please just PM me.

Geocachers rock! Thanks EVERYONE for taking this to 30 states.

I got GA i will hide a cache in georgia :)

Although we appreciate all kind offers of assistance, the states are all spoken for for this series. It is possible that some will come open if others decide they are unable to help out but Georgia is unlikely to be one of them as it has already been hidden.

See Georgia's Cache here.

Thanks though!

I haven't been keeping current on this thead, anybody release a bug yet with a goal to hit each one of these caches?

I'm waiting for permission from the land manager to place the Alaskan Cache. When I do, I have a bug in there that would like to visit all 50 states, and would prefer to visit the 50 State Multi-Cache in that state while there. I've placed a checklist with the bug so that cachers can check off his progress.

i'd be more than happy to add a Georgia cache for this project !!!

im in/near Atlanta ( in fact just miles from the cache craig hit for his 50state tb ).

i've got a pretty neat idea for my cache , so just let me know when the time comes .

Great Idea.

c4( atlanta,Ga.)

(oops , nevermind , just saw that someone already claimed Ga.... sorry .)

Edited by claud4

This may be a bit Silly of me to say, but BluePower Ranger has the Ultimate map. New Tools for the Bookmark owner let them create an KML for Google Earth from the edit page. I have been one at a time creating an copy of the bookmark so I can do just that.

I would post the KML and a jpg, but my Web Server is having troubles right now :ph34r: so I will try again some time soon

For those that wanted to start a TB to go and visit each CAA cache, why not have a race and see which one will get in every cache first and then the final when all 50 states are found. For proof of the bug being in the cache post a picture of the bug and cache.

Just coordinate it so everyone that releases a bug does it the same day and time so no one has an advantage. Sorta like the Cannonball TB Race.

Another one is up and running - check it out - there are some cool pictures on there. Wish we lived there to find this one.

Thanks to Max Jerome for placing New Hampshire

Once again, not to be a broken record - if there is anything we can do to help with any of the others, we are more than happy to.

Many of the other cachers have contacted us and have some really great places planned and are just working on permission from land owners.

Thanks again to everyone!

Blue Power Ranger

:laughing: i would gladly cover Lousiana .... would be kind of fun if each stop had a little history or meaning for each state. To get mor ethan just the geocache obsession fix - not that that isn't enough ....

Louisiana has been up and running for a little while now. Check it out. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...83-1d7e43c71b2f

Yes - Again ALL the states are covered. We are just in a waiting mode. It is possible that some will come open in the near future as we approach do-or-die time but at this point we are going with those that have already volunteered. If some folks drop out, we will release a list of available states all at once as we are confident we have gone as far we can go with what we have.

Thanks again for all the kind offers of support!

It would be interesting to know, who if anyone has found multiple caches in the series already! Once all 50 plus the final are hidden, we'll have to have some sort of forum for tracking the leaders! Just a thought! This is exciting! Hope the last 17 get there's up & running soon. Our Massachusetts cache has already had visitors from other states and we bet so have many others! :laughing:

It would be interesting to know, who if anyone has found multiple caches in the series already! Once all 50 plus the final are hidden, we'll have to have some sort of forum for tracking the leaders! Just a thought! This is exciting! Hope the last 17 get there's up & running soon. Our Massachusetts cache has already had visitors from other states and we bet so have many others! :laughing:

If you read up a ways, there is at least two cachers who have found multiples. One with three and another with two. There may be more but that is all I noticed just casually browsing through things.

Edit: Here it is...

Team CB_Indy have already done Tennessee, Georgia and Alabama.

The Hulk has already done both Washington and Utah. (way to spread out the finds! )

Edited by Blue Power Ranger

We are planning a trip to the New England states in October and we have anxiously been awaiting the postings for Connecticut and Maine. Any ideas when they might be up and running? It may be our only chance to get 6 of these in a few days since we are from the west coast and we do not usually travel to New England. Can anyone offer an update on these locations?

A couple of thoughts:

1) Stick with just the 50 states. DC is *way* too hard.

2) Geocoin. Used for FTF prize in the 50 caches. Sales profits could go for a *neato* Grand Prize.

3) Let's keep the puzzle relatively simple. Here's a suggestion:

Each cache has a unique letter to number mapping. "a" = 6, "G" = 8, etc. Use the letters a-y, A-Y. This means some numbers will be covered by more than one letter (duh). The final is located at the intersection of two lines, defined by 4 sets of coordinates encoded with the numbering scheme. Since the mapping is random (from the perspective of the finders), you would really have to find all the caches. And key coordinate values (degrees say) are hidden in the remote caches - Hawaii, Alaska, North Dakota, etc. The four points could be just about anywhere in the 50 states, so it would be very difficult (impossible?) to guess the points.

The only wrinkle here is the guideline requiring the listed coords for a puzzle cache be close to where the actual is. Perhaps TPTB could make an exception with this series of caches, and let us specify a point int he STATE it is hidden in? Whattaya say TPTB?!?!

4) Each cache page should have the same format (as already suggested) with a common styled clipart image for the state (something like the USPS's 50 state stamp pictures). The common format would just cover the "top half" of the listing, with the bottom half providing details relative to the specific cache.

Just some thoughts!

A Cache across America Geocoin would be a neat FTF prize.