The 50 State Multi-cache

Thanks for the summary, BPR. The only difference between this idea and the two challenge caches I mentioned is that for the challenges, the first 50 caches are unspecified and must only meet certain criteria. In this current idea the first 50 caches are exactly specified, like a multi. And yes there used to be 50 state Happy caches. I'm surprised how many have been archived.

Here's an idea that might fly with the reviewers. I know they're real hung up on any ideas to email the hider in order to get coords to a final cache. Instead, in each of the first 50 caches, put a random 3 digit number inside the container, maybe on the first page of the logbook. Then for the final bonus cache, you could have some big math problem that uses all 50 numbers to work out the final coords. Maybe use 5 numbers to work out each of the 10 digits of the minutes to keep the equations manageable.

This could accomplish two objectives. One, it avoids the "email me for coords" problem. Two, it wouldn't be necessary to figure out the final location ahead of time, because the equations to get the coords could be created later. The final can't be found until all the first 50 are placed and found anyways. The only thing you'd have to do is go back and add some numbers to the caches already placed.

Thanks for the summary, BPR. The only difference between this idea and the two challenge caches I mentioned is that for the challenges, the first 50 caches are unspecified and must only meet certain criteria. In this current idea the first 50 caches are exactly specified, like a multi. And yes there used to be 50 state Happy caches. I'm surprised how many have been archived.

Here's an idea that might fly with the reviewers. I know they're real hung up on any ideas to email the hider in order to get coords to a final cache. Instead, in each of the first 50 caches, put a random 3 digit number inside the container, maybe on the first page of the logbook. Then for the final bonus cache, you could have some big math problem that uses all 50 numbers to work out the final coords. Maybe use 5 numbers to work out each of the 10 digits of the minutes to keep the equations manageable.

This could accomplish two objectives. One, it avoids the "email me for coords" problem. Two, it wouldn't be necessary to figure out the final location ahead of time, because the equations to get the coords could be created later. The final can't be found until all the first 50 are placed and found anyways. The only thing you'd have to do is go back and add some numbers to the caches already placed.

That sounds real similar to what was posted here on June 19th. :laughing:

Some further clarification was posted here and here.

This is an interesting post way back on June 16th . . .

We probably want to run this by an approver or 2 or 3 or so to make sure it has a hope of being approved before we get too far into this.

I don't anticipate any problems since what we are creating is going to be 51 seperate caches. If there is a reviewer watching, can you chime in? Otherwise I will go ahead and run it by my local reviewer(s).

Okay, I missed that part, thought it was a 50-stage multi.

Still willing to do Vermont.

The emphasis is mine.

Anyway, I sure hope this continues to be implemented. Thank you BPR for working so hard on this project. :laughing:

That sounds real similar to what was posted here on June 19th. :laughing:

Great minds think alike :laughing:

I mentioned I didn't bother to read the previous 8 pages.

I guess I'm just tending to agree that the first 50 caches shouldn't be held up while the bonus cache is worked out :laughing:

I guess I'm just tending to agree that the first 50 caches shouldn't be held up while the bonus cache is worked out :laughing:

I volunteer. People can put whatever 3-digit number they want inside each individual cache.

Then, when all are placed, send me the numbers and the coords of the final and I'll come up with the math to get the final coords from the 3-digit numbers in such a way that all the 3-digit numbers are required in order to get the coords.

Yes, the math to do this does exist. Yes, it will be possible to do the problem using only a handheld calculator. And no, it won't matter if 2 (or more) of the individual stages have the same 3-digit numbers. Trust me. Cryptography has other uses besides puzzle caches! :laughing:

Edited by fizzymagic

I am having trouble with the HTML for the listing I got the email but there is no code for me to copy.

Could you "steal" the Source code from this cache to create your own page?

You can View the Source code in your browser and then copy the code to a text editor and change the parts you need to change for your own cache.

A few clarifications after my post from last night.

You can go ahead and start placing the caches, yes. It just seems to take the splash out of it for me. I am in advertising. Every ad agency knows that if you want to make an impact you roll out all elements of your media program at the same time. I did not make that point last night. From my standpoint, since they could be stand alone caches they can be listed in any order and at any time you want. It just doesn't seem well organized. It started out organized, but you seem to be too impatient to get something out there instead of really doing it right. Imagine the huge buildup to the "day", the day the whole series is released.

Regarding waiting up to a year to get the final out, well, people in this topic have already said they are ready to make a cross country run to be FTF right now. A map showing a route have been posted. Again, the splash of a great cache series gets diluted by being impatient. By putting this out a little at a time, some folks may lose interest. You loose the fanfare and hoopla of a single release date for everything. You could still do that even though one has already been listed.

Maybe the topic should have been "Another 50 States Cache Series" instead of "The 50 States Multi-cache". You seem to now be saying it is no longer a multi and is just another series that all happen to have clues to a puzzle cache that is placed in Washington DC and that all share the same name.

That's basically what it is now, right?

You can go ahead and start placing the caches, yes. It just seems to take the splash out of it for me. I am in advertising. Every ad agency knows that if you want to make an impact you roll out all elements of your media program at the same time. I did not make that point last night. From my standpoint, since they could be stand alone caches they can be listed in any order and at any time you want. It just doesn't seem well organized. It started out organized, but you seem to be too impatient to get something out there instead of really doing it right. Imagine the huge buildup to the "day", the day the whole series is released.

Regarding waiting up to a year to get the final out, well, people in this topic have already said they are ready to make a cross country run to be FTF right now. A map showing a route have been posted. Again, the splash of a great cache series gets diluted by being impatient. By putting this out a little at a time, some folks may lose interest. You loose the fanfare and hoopla of a single release date for everything. You could still do that even though one has already been listed.

Maybe the topic should have been "Another 50 States Cache Series" instead of "The 50 States Multi-cache". You seem to now be saying it is no longer a multi and is just another series that all happen to have clues to a puzzle cache that is placed in Washington DC and that all share the same name.

The thread started off with an idea... a 50 state multi. That idea has evolved to what we have now which I find to be entirely organized. My background as mention previously is as a project manager. I'm not in advertising so maybe some of the "impact" angles pass me by.

What I don't miss however is the logistical nightmare of a single simultaneous release. Large project such as this are much better suited to be released in phases.

Although I respect your opinion, I've got to say I take a bit of offense to the statement that we are rushing anything or that it doesn't seem well organized... actually I take a lot of offense to that. Your entire exposure is based on reading this thread and what you are seeing in an email or two. I think this is exceptionally well organized. If not, I invite any of the folks who have been involved to share their frustration with the disorganization...

Anyone out there ready to speak on how poorly organized this is...?

We had a plan. We are following that plan. How much more organized can that be? Just because someone disagrees with the plan for execution, doesn't mean the plan isn't organized or that anything is a rush.

There is a balance between rushing and striking while there is still interest.

Edited by Blue Power Ranger

I know past precedent doesn't determine future approval... but... have you ever seen individual caches that are placed with clues to a final that isn't in place yet? Seems fairly common to me. Am I wrong? I will repeat again that these are caches that stand on their own merit.

For debate's sake... lets say a final never gets placed. Harm? None.

I find it ironic that if I wanted, I could literally drive down a road through public land and chuck and altoids tin out of the window of my car and have that published in a couple of days but when trying to do something cool and worthwhile, the boo-birds come out.

I review a "cache series" roughly once every week or two in my territory. I have *never* listed the reindeer caches without knowing the plans for the Santa cache. How many cache series have YOU worked on? I am wondering if you are confusing a series of caches leading to a final mystery cache, with a series such as "Off Your Rocker" where individual caches can be added to the series at any time. That's more of a "theme" series.

I disagree that there will be no "harm" if the final cache never is listed. From experience, blame will be placed on the volunteer cache reviewers for allowing a busted series to be published. "I put a lot of work into completing the 50 state caches, and now blah blah blah."

Oh, and thanks for resorting to name calling. You can spin it any way you want, but several cache reviewers communicated to you well prior to my post about getting things lined up for the final cache. That is a fact.

Oh, and thanks for resorting to name calling.

?

I have NEVER been anything but respectful to anyone. Name calling? :laughing:

Edit: Oh wait, you must mean boo-bird. That is hardly name calling. Is naysayer better? Someone who disagrees, you know - a figure of speech...

Why all the negativity? LETS ALL WORK TOGETHER! All I want is to cooperate but it seems I can't express an opinion.

:laughing:

Did the html work now? :laughing:

You might want to check your email there are now 3 problems with the html the code I got is no good, I think I need a new one. The pics dont work, the link does not work and one more thing explained in the email.

Edited by Team Jsam

I volunteer. People can put whatever 3-digit number they want inside each individual cache.

Then, when all are placed, send me the numbers and the coords of the final and I'll come up with the math to get the final coords from the 3-digit numbers in such a way that all the 3-digit numbers are required in order to get the coords.

Yes, the math to do this does exist. Yes, it will be possible to do the problem using only a handheld calculator. And no, it won't matter if 2 (or more) of the individual stages have the same 3-digit numbers. Trust me. Cryptography has other uses besides puzzle caches! :laughing:

Your one of the best fizzy some of your Puzzles have been boggling my mind for some time so much fun as well Venona is great with Puzzles too :laughing:.

Edited by Mystery Ink

I am having trouble with the HTML for the listing I got the email but there is no code for me to copy.

You can View the Source code in your browser and then copy the code to a text editor and change the parts you need to change for your own cache.

Copying my source code would probably not be a good idea. You'd get the Georgia info as well as the weather and FTF info in the code as well. I added the weather info as a courtesy to those from *wherever* who might have interest and I added the FTF info because that's just what I do.

I've been more than pleased with BPR's communications and the way this is being organized. I'm also very familiar with the DC area and can think of several good places to put caches. The DC area is actually pretty large and used to include areas of Virginia. I'd be tempted to put one where DC "used to be" if I was still in the area.

Organizing this is tough enough and I could only imagine the nightmare of trying to get 51 people across the US to hit the submit button at the same time. {shudder} One step at a time is the right approach.

Copying my source code would probably not be a good idea. You'd get the Georgia info as well as the weather and FTF info in the code as well. I added the weather info as a courtesy to those from *wherever* who might have interest and I added the FTF info because that's just what I do.

I've been more than pleased with BPR's communications and the way this is being organized. I'm also very familiar with the DC area and can think of several good places to put caches. The DC area is actually pretty large and used to include areas of Virginia. I'd be tempted to put one where DC "used to be" if I was still in the area.

Organizing this is tough enough and I could only imagine the nightmare of trying to get 51 people across the US to hit the submit button at the same time. {shudder} One step at a time is the right approach.

I will be sure Team Jsam gets a new email today with new HTML codes on it. :laughing:

Hello, I volunteered for Virginia since I live on the state line with Kentucky! Good news, instead of having the cache in South West Virginia away from the center of the state, I am taking a trip to Williamsburg, VA and I could place the cache around there since it is very historical, I will be there for a week. and I will keep an eye out on the forums in case I need to change something! Please let me know what you think of this idea?? I would be willing to let the guy from Central Virginia to manage the cache if he would like to?? I hate taking another state, but since mine was taken, and I had the opportunity to do this, I couldnt pass it up! Please let me know what you think!!

The thread started off with an idea... a 50 state multi. That idea has evolved to what we have now which I find to be entirely organized. My background as mention previously is as a project manager. I'm not in advertising so maybe some of the "impact" angles pass me by.

What I don't miss however is the logistical nightmare of a single simultaneous release. Large project such as this are much better suited to be released in phases.

Although I respect your opinion, I've got to say I take a bit of offense to the statement that we are rushing anything or that it doesn't seem well organized... actually I take a lot of offense to that. Your entire exposure is based on reading this thread and what you are seeing in an email or two. I think this is exceptionally well organized. If not, I invite any of the folks who have been involved to share their frustration with the disorganization...

Anyone out there ready to speak on how poorly organized this is...?

We had a plan. We are following that plan. How much more organized can that be? Just because someone disagrees with the plan for execution, doesn't mean the plan isn't organized or that anything is a rush.

There is a balance between rushing and striking while there is still interest.

I never said it was poorly organized. Quote where I said that for me.

Please don't put words in my mouth, thank you. I clearly said there is impatience. Big difference.

The fact remains that you still don't even have volunteers for all 51 locations yet, but the first cache was released. In essence, you don't even know if you can get the project completed, but the first release is out there. I am sure you will get volunteers for all 51 areas, sure. It just seems logical to have something in place for them before you start releasing them.

As a project manager, I am sure you have to be aware of Murphy's Law. As a project manager myself, I try to look at all possibilities and even try to think of some wild "no way that could happen" possibilities. I have only tried to offer some of those same "what if" questions.

By the way, you don't need 51 people to hit *submit* at the same time. You need 51 people working with their local reviewers to help you *list* them at the same time. A HUGE difference. It is done all the time on a local level for events and such. At this point, you are starting to work somewhat against the reviewers it seems, including some sniping by some people in this topic. I am attempting to offer constructive ideas for your project to make it a huge success. Pardon me. I won't try to help if you don't want it. You asked me questions. You don't like the answers. Now you are poopooing me because of my answers.

Fizzy, it is nice to see you volunteer. I know you will make it work no matter what the codes are.

The bad thing about taking a year to get these all listed is that some will probably go missing by the time the final gets in place. This is going to be tough to manage in this manner. Oh darn, more constructive thoughts. Sorry, I'll stop. :laughing:

Idaho has been hidden I am just waiting for the correct html so that I can submit the listing, the pics still dont work.

-TJ

We were able to contact him via phone and found a weird fluke going on between our emails. Glad we were able to get it fixed. :huh:

If anyone else we have sent information to has any trouble, please feel free to contact us via email. We will probably see that sooner than a post in here. If it isn't a simple fix, we will give you a call.

Blue Power Ranger

Idaho has been hidden I am just waiting for the correct html so that I can submit the listing, the pics still dont work.

-TJ

We were able to contact him via phone and found a weird fluke going on between our emails. Glad we were able to get it fixed. :huh:

If anyone else we have sent information to has any trouble, please feel free to contact us via email. We will probably see that sooner than a post in here. If it isn't a simple fix, we will give you a call.

Blue Power Ranger

Thanks for you help, I will post a link when the cache has been approved.

-TJ

<snip>

Frankly, you need them all done. You don't even have volunteers for all 50 states yet from what I can tell on the last couple of pages in this topic. I don't see how you can start listing a 50 state multicache if you don't have volunteers for all 50 states yet.

<snip>

I'm curious. Why should all 50 caches need to be lists at the same time?

Nevermind. This question got answered later on in the thread.

Edited by Glenn

166de36d-345c-48ac-a95b-898064ff2c2c.jpg

At work I have writing and editing to proof my stuff. Here I have the general public. :huh:

Why did you remove the fade from the compass-rose? The original Cache Accross America with the faded compass-rose made the words pop out and look very professional. With the compass-rose the same color intensity as the letters it makes the background and foreground blend together.

e65f09d6-879d-4f80-a0f1-8dcf74345a5c.jpg

There's a lot of Off Your Rocker Cracker Barrel caches, right? How about an icon for them?

How about a special icon for the Delorme Challenge caches?

How about a special icon for the ...

The APE was a one time thing. What makes it cool to nab one is that there's A) so few of them to begin with, B) so few of them left, and C) not many strange icons.

Not too different from what we have with geocoins is it? Do those icons cause undue confusion?

Actually yes they can cause undue confusion. Travel bugs and Geocaches are two different animals. So trying to compare the two is like comparing apples to oranges.

Whether you call them travel bugs, geocoins, puzzle coins, or micro coins they are all the exact same thing. An item stamped with a tracking number.

Geocaches on the other hand are seperated in to a couple different types; traditional, multi, puzzle, etc. Unlike travel bugs each cache type denotes a different finding/hunting method. Many people use the cache icon as a quick way to determine the cache type.

One thing to note about the APE series is that, I believe, all the cachers were originally owned by the same account and all the caches are the same type (traditional).

I see that you are active in the Custom Cache Type Icon thread in the Geocaching.com Web Site forum. Hopefully you too are encouraged by what Jeremy said. There is a solution, someone just needs to think of it and share it.

Hello, I volunteered for Virginia since I live on the state line with Kentucky! Good news, instead of having the cache in South West Virginia away from the center of the state, I am taking a trip to Williamsburg, VA and I could place the cache around there since it is very historical, I will be there for a week. and I will keep an eye out on the forums in case I need to change something! Please let me know what you think of this idea?? I would be willing to let the guy from Central Virginia to manage the cache if he would like to?? I hate taking another state, but since mine was taken, and I had the opportunity to do this, I couldnt pass it up! Please let me know what you think!!

I'm "the guy" from Central VA. If you're going to Williamsburg, will you be passing through close to Lynchburg or Richmond? I wouldn't mind helping to manage the cache, do maintenance, etc. But Williamsburg is near the East Coast, a several-hour drive for me. (I'm on the outskirts of Lynchburg.) Richmond is the state capital, more in the center of the state, and would only take me a little over an hour to get to. If you're looking for good history, Appomattox may be worth considering too, and is even closer.

Virginia map

It's your cache, so it's up to you. Just wanted to add my .02 in case you may need a local to help with maintenance in the future.

Happy 4th!!

---Agent Scully

(Tammy :laughing: )

Why did you remove the fade from the compass-rose? The original Cache Accross America with the faded compass-rose made the words pop out and look very professional. With the compass-rose the same color intensity as the letters it makes the background and foreground blend together.

No great answer other than personal preference. :laughing:

I'm "the guy" from Central VA. If you're going to Williamsburg, will you be passing through close to Lynchburg or Richmond? I wouldn't mind helping to manage the cache, do maintenance, etc. But Williamsburg is near the East Coast, a several-hour drive for me. (I'm on the outskirts of Lynchburg.) Richmond is the state capital, more in the center of the state, and would only take me a little over an hour to get to. If you're looking for good history, Appomattox may be worth considering too, and is even closer.

Virginia map

It's your cache, so it's up to you. Just wanted to add my .02 in case you may need a local to help with maintenance in the future.

Happy 4th!!

---Agent Scully

Thanks for your input, Richmond sounds like a good place! I will gather materials to hide the cache, and when we pass through I will try to hide it!

What is the container I should use?? Are they using Ammo Cans??? or what?? Let me know!

Virginia map

Happy 4th!!

---Agent Scully

Thanks for your input, Richmond sounds like a good place! I will gather materials to hide the cache, and when we pass through I will try to hide it!

What is the container I should use?? Are they using Ammo Cans??? or what?? Let me know!

Yes - we are looking for a regular size cache. That would be great to have both of you work on this together.

Edit: I want to add that there are circumstances where a small cache would also be fine. Example - the Wisc. cache that just published. The location of the cache is so terrific that the smaller size becomes a non-issue. Let's avoid micros if we can though.

I volunteered to do this many pages ago...but I really don't care who does it.

Wisconsin is up and running!

Just got published this morning.

AstroD-Team

Looks fantastic. My only regret is that I'm not in your area to go for a FTF!

Agree, it looks great. The one thing I would change is this:

These caches each contain a numeric clue that will lead you to one final cache located in our nation's capitol upon completion of the series.

Please change the word "capitol" to "capital". I assure you the final cache can not and will not be hidden in our nation's capitOl :laughing:

Wow! The Texas cache spelled "Capital" right :D

You'd think with all the so-called organization going on here, that the organizers would know the difference between a capitol and a capital :D

I think the chances of hiding a cache in the capitol are about zero, while the chances of hiding a cache in the capital are at least 50% :D

You'd think with all the so-called organization going on here, that the organizers would know the difference between a capitol and a capital :drama:

I think the chances of hiding a cache in the capitol are about zero, while the chances of hiding a cache in the capital are at least 50% :D

Thanks - yes, we know there is a typo. That has been covered.

Thankfully the typo has not thrown off any finders! Whew! :lol: At least only a few were released with the error.

You'd think with all the so-called organization going on here, that the organizers would know the difference between a capitol and a capital :D

I think the chances of hiding a cache in the capitol are about zero, while the chances of hiding a cache in the capital are at least 50% :lol:

Thanks - yes, we know there is a typo. That has been covered.

Thankfully the typo has not thrown off any finders! Whew! :drama: At least only a few were released with the error.

Not trying to be sarcastic, but you DO know, they CAN be edited after the fact, don't you?

Not trying to be sarcastic, but you DO know, they CAN be edited after the fact, don't you?

Yes, they can by the hiders/cache owners. Folks have been made aware of this and other typo issues but need to make the edits on their own. The caches don't belong to me and therefore I can't make the changes myself.

Thanks for pointing out the error... seriously. We do want these listings to look good but realize that there are the usual unexpected issues as with anything. (does that make them expected issues? :drama: )

For those confused:

Capitol - This would be the actual building where congress meets. Cool place for a cache, but of course never going to happen.

Capital - This would be the city. The seat of government. :lol: