The 50 State Multi-cache

As the First to Find of the compilation cache "Found All 50 states Im going to Disneyland" I think this 50 state multi should revolve somewhere around the actual 50 State Capitals. It would present a much more difficult challange than say, for instance, slipping into the FL panhandle, to grab the FL cache. Its a teriffic idea either way....I will look forward to the challange with quivering anticipation!

Good idea but the task is already pretty daunting. We will be happy just to get the caches in each state at this point.

Would you honestly go after a cache series like this? I know you have done all 50 states but would you actually look for a specific cache in each of those states?

Ok, Looks Like I found this one too late, but I will be glad to be a second to Kiamichi Muskrat for Arkansas I live right in the central area

One sudgestion, once the Caches are established, we should create a public Bookmark that contains all the caches, and the "template" cache listing should have a link to the Bookmark. This would also make changes easy to manage if some of them get muggled or (Heaven Forbid) Archived

One sudgestion, once the Caches are established, we should create a public Bookmark that contains all the caches, and the "template" cache listing should have a link to the Bookmark. This would also make changes easy to manage if some of them get muggled or (Heaven Forbid) Archived

Already on the agenda if you read several posts back.

Just wanted to give the update since I am going out of town for a long weekend starting tonight...

My wife, Mrs. Blue Power Ranger (she HATES it when I call her that :cry: ) has put together and Excel Spreadsheet to help keep this organized.

What she has done is listed each state, the facts that we will include about that state as well as each state volunteer and some information about them.

Volunteers: I know that there is always a great deal of "numbers" controversy in these forums but I think it is relevant here. Some of our volunteers are very experienced with many finds and hides. We will task these volunteers with taking the lead in making the initial hides. That is kind of the criteria I used for the first five cachers I have contacted.

We APPRECIATE ALL volunteers who have stepped up to the plate in this effort regardless of experience. There is plenty of work for everyone. Before we start assigning hides etc. to the less experienced cachers, we want to make sure that we have streamlined the process as much as possible. Please be patient if I have not contacted you. If you have raised your hand, you are on our radar.

If any of you feel you cannot or would rather not participate anymore, please just PM me and we will remove you from the list.

The current bottleneck:

I have generated random three digit codes for each of the states' caches. I am not a master puzzler, so at this point I don't know what to do with these codes. Are we hamstrung until we have the coordinates of the final cache or can I start distributing these codes now and worry about the puzzle later?

Once the puzzle question is answered, I believe we are ready to deploy the first caches almost immediately.

Thanks all!

The beauty is that we can start deploying individual caches as soon as practical and the puzzle-master becomes involved.

All 50 do not need to deploy at once but should deploy within a reasonable time-frame. I would like to see this roll before the summer vacation season ends.

A couple of points for discussion - I would like to see a common universal look and feel to each of the caches' pages.

HELP WANTED - Is there a web designer out there that would be willing to put together a simple but elegant HTML template that we can use for the pages for each of these caches?

I want visitors to the pages to know what this is all about.

Another point - I believe those going for the 50-state quest should have to have a photo w/ the cache in each individual state posted on that cache's page. Not a requirement to log the find for those just doing casual caching.

Thoughts?

-LETS DO THIS THING!!!

Hubby and I can do the pages... just give me an idea of what you'd like and we can get it together fo you. :cry:

43ae81a1-d723-4398-a177-53876b282eff.jpg

This is the design I think we are going to go with.

Hubby and I can do the pages... just give me an idea of what you'd like and we can get it together fo you.

Yeah, just need to provide the basic HTML code to each of the placers; with the picture links to the common area should work great

43ae81a1-d723-4398-a177-53876b282eff.jpg

This is the design I think we are going to go with.

Is this the final cache title, Cache 50:50 ? Personally, I still think The 50:50 Challenge sounds much better. The Cache 50:50 combination sounds like something to do with a 50:50 percent chance of something happening, like - the chance I go caching today is 50:50. Also if you inserted the implied words you would get Cache 50 States:50 Caches , which sounds really awkward compared to the expanded (and as I originally intended) The 50 States:50 Caches Challenge.

And you guys expect me to come up with something for Ohio?? They tried this with our license plates, our state quarter and even our hockey team. We've ended up with "Birthplace of Aviation" , reading between the lines you get, we make smart people who go elsewhere to make it big :ph34r:

I'm a native of PA, so I pick on Ohio... Maybe "we have more acres of suburbs than anyone else" or maybe "mow down corn, build subdivision" :P

Is this the final cache title, Cache 50:50 ? Personally, I still think The 50:50 Challenge sounds much better. The Cache 50:50 combination sounds like something to do with a 50:50 percent chance of something happening, like - the chance I go caching today is 50:50. Also if you inserted the implied words you would get Cache 50 States:50 Caches , which sounds really awkward compared to the expanded (and as I originally intended) The 50 States:50 Caches Challenge.

I agree that Cache 50:50 isn't as good as The 50:50 Challenge. But I would suggest using the full name The 50 States:50 Caches Challenge. It makes sense right away when you read it. I think both of the other names suffer the same problem of sounding similar to a 50:50 chance of something.

Edited by Mushtang

Neat idea, but won't this take quite a while to create and an even longer to to find?

Well, yes, finding all 51 will take a long time (or a truly dedicated person with lots of funds for travel and no job). But, fortunately, along the way, you have 50 independent caches to find and log smiley's for, so hopefully the individual caches will be popping up by the end of summer, and some can get started on them soon!

Just wanted to give the update since I am going out of town for a long weekend starting tonight...

My wife, Mrs. Blue Power Ranger (she HATES it when I call her that :rolleyes: ) has put together and Excel Spreadsheet to help keep this organized.

What she has done is listed each state, the facts that we will include about that state as well as each state volunteer and some information about them.

Volunteers: I know that there is always a great deal of "numbers" controversy in these forums but I think it is relevant here. Some of our volunteers are very experienced with many finds and hides. We will task these volunteers with taking the lead in making the initial hides. That is kind of the criteria I used for the first five cachers I have contacted.

We APPRECIATE ALL volunteers who have stepped up to the plate in this effort regardless of experience. There is plenty of work for everyone. Before we start assigning hides etc. to the less experienced cachers, we want to make sure that we have streamlined the process as much as possible. Please be patient if I have not contacted you. If you have raised your hand, you are on our radar.

If any of you feel you cannot or would rather not participate anymore, please just PM me and we will remove you from the list.

The current bottleneck:

I have generated random three digit codes for each of the states' caches. I am not a master puzzler, so at this point I don't know what to do with these codes. Are we hamstrung until we have the coordinates of the final cache or can I start distributing these codes now and worry about the puzzle later?

Once the puzzle question is answered, I believe we are ready to deploy the first caches almost immediately.

Thanks all!

Deploy the numbers to the states, the puzzle for the last cache can come once we know the coords for it. If you want to email me the 50 numbers I will show you how to create a puzzle so the coords wind up being at the Lincoln Memorial or whatever.

I'm ready to place in Arkansas, too.

This is Blue Power Ranger's wife. We just got home last night after a weekend family vacation that involved almost needing to call the paramedics while on the way to the APE cache for my dad. Geocaching does not have to be as dangerous as they were making it................ :laughing:

Once he is back at work and caught up on his emails, he will be back on here - I promise.

I'm ready to place in Arkansas, too.

This is Blue Power Ranger's wife. We just got home last night after a weekend family vacation that involved almost needing to call the paramedics while on the way to the APE cache for my dad. Geocaching does not have to be as dangerous as they were making it................ :P

Once he is back at work and caught up on his emails, he will be back on here - I promise.

Hope it was nothing too serious and also hope that all is well.

I agree that Cache 50:50 isn't as good as The 50:50 Challenge. But I would suggest using the full name The 50 States:50 Caches Challenge. It makes sense right away when you read it. I think both of the other names suffer the same problem of sounding similar to a 50:50 chance of something.

How about "The 50 United Caches of America"

Just an update -

We are in the process of contacting everyone on the list to get email addresses from them so we can create an email list to use when we need to get information out to everyone regarding their hides.

At this point, I have gotten as many emails as I could get from either the geocaching website or emails you have sent me. Otherwise, I have sent you a message through the website asking you to send me your email address. If you DON'T get this, please send me an email with your information.

I have sent emails out to the first 10 states that we are going to have hide these caches. We are going to start with 10 states first, so that if we need to make any changes, we are doing it with a smaller group rather than all 50.

We will let you know when the first one has been officially published, but I can tell you it is probably being hidden as you read this. :wub:

Since word of mouth is the best way to find something - just an FYI that we are still looking for people in the following states -

Delaware

Montana

New Hampshire

If you are interested in hiding a cache for this series in one of these states, please contact us with your email address and information.

Thank you so much for all your willingness to be part of this great project!!

Blue Power Ranger

Edited by Blue Power Ranger

The name is set - This series will be called "Cache Accross America".

That's a beautiful logo, but there's only one "c" in "across" ... :wub:

Haha I was looking at that also I thought something didn't look right. Like the name though and can't wait to place it. Going for something looking at the Golden Gate Bridge.

Haha I was looking at that also I thought something didn't look right. Like the name though and can't wait to place it. Going for something looking at the Golden Gate Bridge.

OH POOP!

Edited by Blue Power Ranger

OH POOP!

Too late to cancel that order for those 35,000 "Cache Accross America" geocoins?

166de36d-345c-48ac-a95b-898064ff2c2c.jpg

At work I have writing and editing to proof my stuff. Here I have the general public. :unsure:

:unsure::wub:

Now you just get to send out new HTML code to everyone... aren't you glad you opted to do this 10 states at a time? :D

btw, I just wanted to send out a big kudos to BPR for organizing this. Whether anyone every finds them all or not, you've shown amazing motivation in getting all of us on board and organized so quickly. good job!

ps - do you promise to post to this thread when the first caches are approved? :wub::wub:

166de36d-345c-48ac-a95b-898064ff2c2c.jpg

At work I have writing and editing to proof my stuff. Here I have the general public. :D

:unsure::o

...aren't you glad you opted to do this 10 states at a time? B)

ps - do you promise to post to this thread when the first caches are approved? :D:D

That is why we did it that way. Whew. :D

I REALLY like the name and graphics. Great job!

Hay I’ve just learned of this special cache a few days a go, and I think the idea is really neat! I hear you still need some one to come up with a puzzle. I would be willing to do it I have some great ideas.

Also I think the final cache should not be in a said place. If we place a final cache and tell everybody where it is, then will cache loses its special aurora. Plus it runs lines of being muggled we should contact Groundspeak and tell them about our idea and maybe they would introduce the 50/50 cache type. In which they give the waypoint for the first cache in Washington D.C. Where a box with special forms inside would be placed. This form would consist of 51 Boxes a place for each stamp from all 50 states. (Which could also be obtained online for those who what to start there journey, but not in Washington D.C) In other words each cache would contain its own identity in a stamp or sticker, This way one can prove that they have been to all 50.This would get rid of the need fr photes of proof. Kind of like a gigantic letterbox. Once one would have 50 stamps one could mail it to a special address where, some one could look over document and see if each stamp is authentic. After that he could mail a certificate back with the way point for the final cache. I think the final cache should be not by any major city, but in place is ouside the 50 states. For example Portico would be a fantastic place for a final cache. It is out side the 50 states and it is island. Thus, it would br a great final adventure to conclude the series! This would give the series s a total of 52 caches with a beginning and a grand finale. It may take years for some one to visit them all, but I would not be surprised if some found them all in the first two years.

As for the puzzle, I am willing to put one together for this! I just need some back round info on the towns where all 50 caches owners plan to place their caches.

Any comments email them to earthy5000@yahoo.com

:unsure:

Hay I’ve just learned of this special cache a few days a go, and I think the idea is really neat! I hear you still need some one to come up with a puzzle. I would be willing to do it I have some great ideas.

Also I think the final cache should not be in a said place. If we place a final cache and tell everybody where it is, then will cache loses its special aurora. Plus it runs lines of being muggled we should contact Groundspeak and tell them about our idea and maybe they would introduce the 50/50 cache type. In which they give the waypoint for the first cache in Washington D.C. Where a box with special forms inside would be placed. This form would consist of 51 Boxes a place for each stamp from all 50 states. (Which could also be obtained online for those who what to start there journey, but not in Washington D.C) In other words each cache would contain its own identity in a stamp or sticker, This way one can prove that they have been to all 50.This would get rid of the need fr photes of proof. Kind of like a gigantic letterbox. Once one would have 50 stamps one could mail it to a special address where, some one could look over document and see if each stamp is authentic. After that he could mail a certificate back with the way point for the final cache. I think the final cache should be not by any major city, but in place is ouside the 50 states. For example Portico would be a fantastic place for a final cache. It is out side the 50 states and it is island. Thus, it would br a great final adventure to conclude the series! This would give the series s a total of 52 caches with a beginning and a grand finale. It may take years for some one to visit them all, but I would not be surprised if some found them all in the first two years.

As for the puzzle, I am willing to put one together for this! I just need some back round info on the towns where all 50 caches owners plan to place their caches.

Any comments email them to earthy5000@yahoo.com

:unsure:

Thanks for the ideas and the offer of assistance. The 50 caches have already been decided upon along with the method of verification as well as the location of the final in DC. The actual location of the hide will remain a mystery. We also have someone for the puzzle already and three-digit "secret" codes are being distributed with the cache info.

Caches are already being hidden as I type this. I hope you will take the time to at least search for some of these in your area.