The 50 State Multi-cache

For the final, there's been a volunteer to place the cache in Washington, DC. As a former Washingtonian, that gets my vote if the District doesn't get it's own cache in the series. The geographical center is a good idea, but essentially gives one state two caches in the series and leaves DC out (as usual, lol). Isn't taxation without representation enough discrimination against our cachers in our nation's capitol, lol? As for concerns about longevity, there are plenty of areas in DC where a cache could remain safe for quite some time. Besides, what could be more representative of the country as a whole than a cache in the nation's capitol? As significant as the geographically central coordinates are to a GPS-based game, I would MUCH rather complete a journey like this in place like DC than on someone's pig farm, which is I believe where someone mentioned the geographical center actually is. Besides which, no one has yet said they are able to hide a cache there, whereas there has been a volunteer for a DC cache.

Soooooooooo ::chanting:: Cache for DC! Cache for DC! Cache for DC!

I'll second this vote... not only because I live in the area, but for all the reasons stated above. There are plenty of really great places in DC that would be able to maintain a great longterm cache in a beautiful location. The National Arboretum (run by the USDA) is a great place, and surprisingly only has one cache.

I'll second this vote... not only because I live in the area, but for all the reasons stated above. There are plenty of really great places in DC that would be able to maintain a great longterm cache in a beautiful location. The National Arboretum (run by the USDA) is a great place, and surprisingly only has one cache.

Thank you. I have already coresponded with our DC volunteer and the wheels are in motion to secure the location for the final.

The final cache WILL BE IN DC!!!

Man, somebody better put one in Hawaii before July 23. I'm going to do some research there on the Big Island and at Honolulu. That will possibly be my only lifetime chance of getting this one.

Perhaps cachers in the untaken states need to be emailed? They may never come to the forums.

One in Maui would be nice, before December.

I'm not going to Maui! :)

I suggest the dude who hid this one: GC23

Notice that number - this cache was hidden in 2000 and was just called "Geocache." He's still active and a premium member. I'll bet he could hide a dandy and it would be great to have such a venerable cacher on the project. Heck, maybe he'd rename "Geocache" and make IT the one for this series. That would add some historic clout.

Thank you. I have already coresponded with our DC volunteer and the wheels are in motion to secure the location for the final.

Awesome... I can't wait to start the hunt. Will likely take a few years, but I'm looking forward to it :)

Looking Good! I imagine if we all choose this template, we all will need to come up with the facts that you have(largest city, Pop rank, admitted to the union, etc)

That shouldnt to very hard at all- I like it!

*Ps- Is the "about this cache" paragraph is in another language? If so, can it be converted?

Thanks for putting all the time & effort in to this - its going to be Great!

Looking Good! I imagine if we all choose this template, we all will need to come up with the facts that you have(largest city, Pop rank, admitted to the union, etc)

That shouldnt to very hard at all- I like it!

*Ps- Is the "about this cache" paragraph is in another language? If so, can it be converted?

Thanks for putting all the time & effort in to this - its going to be Great!

I will send the templates to the users with the facts already filled in. This info is readily available online. Thought it would be nice to have a couple of facts about the state. (and it fills up the left column nicely).

The different language is just filler. That is the part that the cache hiders will need to fill in with information about their cache, the hide location etc.

Just tuned into the forums after a brief hiatus and found this thread. The idea seems pretty cool but I have doubts about it getting done by ANYBODY. We are currently trying to just cache in all 50 states and it ain't easy. I read the idea of just finding any cache in a given state, I think that would be better than a specific cache in each state. Also a suggestion, if specific new caches are used, have them placed in border areas of the state. That way, as many as 4-5 could be gotten (is that a word?) in one trip. We plan our vacations in border areas so we can do just that now....caches in each state. We definately are not hitting some of the most picturesque or defining parts of some of these states, our routes are planned for proximity to our destination, 1 hour drives in all directions for the different states, proximity to major roads and yes, hate to admit it.......1/1's and/or park-and-grabs.

Sorry for the lateness in my suggestions, good luck.

All that being said, we would try our darndest to complete it! :)

[nit-picky] It might be nice to have all the state caches listed on the main page, rather then having them follow a link. Just a thought [/nit-picky]

My thought was that if it was a simple link, it would be a link to a maintained bookmark list. Therefore, if I update the bookmark list with what is currently available, it is all good.

Picture a scenario in which all 50 caches are active. One is muggled and the maintainer is no longer an active cacher. For that state we elect to hide an entirely new cache. In the scenario you mention, there would have to be an update to the link for that state on each of the 49 remaining pages. In other words, 49 people are having to be counted on to go and edit the HTML.

In my scenario, I would just have to make one update to the bookmark list. Make sense or am I off base?

The idea seems pretty cool but I have doubts about it getting done by ANYBODY.

Maybe... but... consider the brief history of geocaching thus far. We are talking about a multi-year pursuit of the prize.

Will I finish it? Not until I retire. Hmmm.... 29 more years of work. :) Thanks for that reality check.

Lofty goals are my favorite kind so lets roll it and see what happens.

[nit-picky] It might be nice to have all the state caches listed on the main page, rather then having them follow a link. Just a thought [/nit-picky]

My thought was that if it was a simple link, it would be a link to a maintained bookmark list. Therefore, if I update the bookmark list with what is currently available, it is all good.

Picture a scenario in which all 50 caches are active. One is muggled and the maintainer is no longer an active cacher. For that state we elect to hide an entirely new cache. In the scenario you mention, there would have to be an update to the link for that state on each of the 49 remaining pages. In other words, 49 people are having to be counted on to go and edit the HTML.

In my scenario, I would just have to make one update to the bookmark list. Make sense or am I off base?

I think that is the best way to do it. One click and everyone gets the entire list. thumbsup.gif

I think that is the best way to do it. One click and everyone gets the entire list. thumbsup.gif

Touche... great point.

As for names... what about the "The Nifty Fifty" (if that is an incredibly stupid name, just pretend I was joking.)

Blue Power Ranger emailed me and asked if I would consider being part of the project (being that I am "the dude that hid this one: GC23"). I think it would be a great idea and am willing to be the planter for Hawaii.

Making Geocache a part of the project is an option. My concern with that is the complete changing of the page to acommodate the template of the Project. Another option would be to plant the Project cache on the same trail as Geocache. This way a visitor to Hawaii could claim the Project cache and Geocache in the same outing.

Geocache is located on a 5 mile long loop trail. The trail has two trailheads seperated by about 200 yards of a road within a park. It is located relatively near one of the trailheads. I could plant the Project geocache a simliar distance from the other trailhead, then cachers could easily find both by taking two short walks or one long one...it really is a beautiful trail and I would encourage everyone to do the whole loop.

Anyway.. I'm in..

happy caching..

peace.. take care.. see ya.. migoi

Touche... great point.

As for names... what about the "The Nifty Fifty" (if that is an incredibly stupid name, just pretend I was joking.)

I agree with the bookmark list.

What about The Cross Country Challenge for a name?

One more thing... I'm still not in love with the name "Americache (sounds like a finance company) Challenge". Can anyone suggest something catchy/cool but fairly short?

"Americache refinanced my home and helped me save $400 per month!" :)

I like the word Americache . . . but how about modifying it by calling it "The Great Americache." That doesn't sound like a finance company . . . :rolleyes:

One more thing... I'm still not in love with the name "Amiericache (sounds like a finance company) Challenge". Can anyone suggest something catchy/cool but fairly short?

OK, I'll throw in a potentially silly suggestion:

The 50 State:50 Cache Challenge or, more simply

The 50:50 Challenge

Perhaps with each of the caches including a hyphen and the state such as:

The 50:50 Challenge - Washington

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blue Power Ranger emailed me and asked if I would consider being part of the project (being that I am "the dude that hid this one: GC23"). I think it would be a great idea and am willing to be the planter for Hawaii.

Making Geocache a part of the project is an option. My concern with that is the complete changing of the page to acommodate the template of the Project. Another option would be to plant the Project cache on the same trail as Geocache. This way a visitor to Hawaii could claim the Project cache and Geocache in the same outing.

Geocache is located on a 5 mile long loop trail. The trail has two trailheads seperated by about 200 yards of a road within a park. It is located relatively near one of the trailheads. I could plant the Project geocache a simliar distance from the other trailhead, then cachers could easily find both by taking two short walks or one long one...it really is a beautiful trail and I would encourage everyone to do the whole loop.

Anyway.. I'm in..

happy caching..

peace.. take care.. see ya.. migoi

If I might throw in my 2cents. I think it should be whole new cache. If you convert Geocache into the 50 state project cache, then the people who have already found it would be a step ahead without doing anything, or they would have to log the same cache twice. Either way, it doesn't seem to be in the spirit of the project.

I think all of these should be new caches, and not conversions. I do like the idea of placing it near the historic cache so you can grab it as well.

The 50:50 Challenge - Washington

I like this, it's slightly cryptic. :)

I'll second this as well. The 50:50 Challenge - (State Name) is a great idea.

One more thing... I'm still not in love with the name "Amiericache (sounds like a finance company) Challenge". Can anyone suggest something catchy/cool but fairly short?

"Cache" the American Spirit!

AmeriCACHE GEOgraphy: Lesson One: Alaska (or whatever state is alphabetically first. I'm a little slow.)

Cache across America: Patriotic Pride

"Proud to Be an AmeriCACHE!"

From what I can tell, you don't have anyone in Mississippi yet? I live right along that projected path and would love to be a part of this. I am new to this, but I am an outdoor person, and I am enjoying geocaching. So if there are no objections, put me down for Mississippi.

So wouldn't it be cool if there was a 50 state multi-cache? You know....

Think about this: BPR poses idea on internet chatboard; seven days later there's a list of rules, a project design, 50 volunteers with backups, and wheels set in motion. Could a fortune 500 company work this quickly? And, if so, how much would it cost?

Internet, $24.95/month. Geocaching membership, $30/year. Ability to harness creative minds and energetic souls across the country - priceless.

I'll second this as well. The 50:50 Challenge - (State Name)

I like it too.

To all those emailing me and contacting me, please be patient. I am getting to everything as quickly as possible. The response to this is overwhelming.

Unfortunately... I have a real job I am being paid to do and caches to find to boot.

Things are progressing well. I have been in email contact with several potential participants and the first caches should be up in short order!!

Edited by Blue Power Ranger

One more thing... I'm still not in love with the name "Americache (sounds like a finance company) Challenge". Can anyone suggest something catchy/cool but fairly short?

"Americache refinanced my home and helped me save $400 per month!" :huh:

Ha ha. I swear I was joking and had no idea that THIS existed! Thank you Google... now that I think about it, I could use a loan to do this series. Corporate caches are discouraged right?

Edited by Blue Power Ranger

"Americache refinanced my home and helped me save $400 per month!" :huh:

I like the word Americache . . . but how about modifying it by calling it "The Great Americache." That doesn't sound like a finance company . . . :P

Ha ha. I swear I was joking and had no idea that THIS existed! Thank you Google.

LOL

Proabably premature but as long as we are thinking big...

HEY JEREMY!

If we can pull this off... how about a special icon for these caches? You know, like the APE caches. Would be nifty to see folks' counts on these.

We could call these.... "Red, White & Blue Challenge Caches" or something cooler. Any marketing minds out there?

My Ideas:

America the Beautiful

Cache Across America

States of Caching

US of Caching

- with - what else - an American Flag icon?

I think it shouldn't be too cryptic for what it is - really, if I decide I'm doing this, I'd want to be able to find a list using common sense. (There's one in utah that's a baseball diamond shaped cache series that the names aren't common sense to most, and makes it hard to hit them all unless you know who hid them...)

Note that you guys should get this organized and out by the 4th of July - if possible.. then, you can have all the caches go live on the 270th birthday of the country.

Just a thought...

Rose

*edited to add a couple other name ideas

Edited by phoenix-rose

<snip>

If we can pull this off... how about a special icon for these caches? You know, like the APE caches. Would be nifty to see folks' counts on these.

<snip>

<snip>

- with - what else - an American Flag icon?

<snip>

I think the American Flag icon is already taken, isn't it?

How about a map of the 50 states icon, with a red, white, and blue bunting for a border. Here's something I threw together in PPT. The DC cache is annotated, with a green line leading from Seattle (or any place to start) through each state, ending at the final cache. The green line is supposed to look something like a contour line. Although in icon size you probably wouldn't be able to see it.

5050AC.jpg

Edited by BRTango

Don't worry about hurting my feelings... just putting some thoughts down.

How about:

Project 50:50

Mission 50:50

E Pluribus Unum

United we Cache

From Sea to Shining Sea

The Patriot's Game

I do like - "The Nifty Fifty" which has been suggested and several others.

Update on Puzzle: Right now I have randon 3-digit codes established for each of the 50 states. Can any of you puzzlers do anything with these even though I don't have the final coordinates yet?

Adjusted the page I worked on a bit... added flag etc. Opinions?

cb5fac66-1732-4f6b-86cc-c55fb489112c.jpg

I expect we will start to have states starting to come online by next week. Please don't start hiding the caches until I contact you for your state. I want to get these out in a controlled (not because I am controlling :P ) release. THANKS!

It might be interesting if the cache page for each state included some interesting information about that state - maybe underneath the state flag. Maybe general information like size, population, capital, symbols (bird, flower, etc). Maybe even some intersting trivia, famous natives, etc to make each page a learning experience.

edit: nevermind, I see you already beat me to it. :huh:

Edited by ParrotRob

I want to keep this thread alive and keep the excitement for this project going! I have created a sample of a listing using a new name. I thought Cache 50:50 was pretty cool.

43ae81a1-d723-4398-a177-53876b282eff.jpg

I will be going out of town (summer vacation) for several days starting tomorrow and will therefore be offline. Those of you who I have already contacted to begin doing the first round of hides, please continue securing permission etc for the locations.

Thanks!

Has anyone considered Puerto Rico and Washington DC? DC would make an AWESOME finale cache.

I will do Puerto Rico. Part of the US, even though not a state.

Tcomguy

We won't be adding any caches outside of the 50 states and DC at this point. Thanks for the kind offer though.

If we were to go in that direction, we would also have to include the USVI, Guam, and Canada.

Kidding about the Canada part. :lol:

Here is the current list:

Alabama - wesleykey

Alaska - AKStafford

Arizona - Cog&Gil

Arkansas - Kiamichi Muskrat

California - Mystery Ink

Colorado - cameltrekor

Connecticut

Delaware

Florida - spot-trotter

Georgia - Rebel

Hawaii - migoi

Idaho - Team Jsam

Illinois - Beffums

Indiana - sept1c_tank

Iowa - The Northwood Goonies

Kansas - k_statealan

Kentucky - SG-MIN

Louisiana - Team Gryarvold

Maine - Haffy

Maryland - DaisyChain

Massachusetts - BlkSqrl413 & MrsBlksqrl

Michigan - IAMTHATERO or Team MTJ

Minnesota - Pto

Mississippi - back2eight

Missouri - OzarksJim or Jhawk or smilingsteeles

Montana

Nebraska - StarBrand

Nevada - BadAndy (can do Jackpot area)

New Hampshire

New Jersey - Rustysurfer22

New Mexico

New York - wefindall or rayman

North Carolina - erikwillke

North Dakota - Codfish116

Ohio - oscar478 or Hillbilly-Rockstar

Oklahoma -Kand or mellisarock

Oregon - Riddlers

Pennsylvania - jtd 18801

Rhode Island

South Carolina - llatnek

South Dakota - martinell

Tennessee - salpal

Texas - AMMOMAN

Utah - Damenace or kgag

Vermont - Tharagleb

Virginia - treasure hunter

Washington - Fishiam

West Virginia - oldnavy59 or Morgan's Marauders

Wisconsin - AstroD-Team

Wyoming - dblrngr

FINAL CACHE - Washington DC - kelly@9

Puzzle - Will use simple numeric addition.

OK - In going through my emails, the forum, and private messages, I have tried to get everyone's name who volunteered listed here.

Please contact me if I have missed you, as it was not done on purpose.

As of now, we are only missing the following states:

Connecticut

Delaware

Montana

New Hampshire

New Mexico

Rhode Island

I will be out of town for a long weekend. If I don't hear from anyone from those states after I am back, I will put a post in the regional forums, but in the mean time if you know of people that would be good for these states, feel free to contact them and see if they are interested, being sure to explain the long term commitment this could be.

I am excited that this is coming together so well. We are going to try and start getting some of them up next week, but not all. I will get in touch with you and give you the template for your state when we are ready tp have your state up and going.

Thanks for everything you guys are all doing for all this!

Blue Power Ranger

That's a really good idea. You should end it Washington DC!!! I could probably maintain one in Illinois.

I had been down just as a back up for IL, since we live right across the border. If you'd like to have the IL cache, I'd be glad to be a back up for you, should you need help with it or whatever. (I just like the idea of the hider being from the actual state, if possible). I'm still willing to hide Illinois's, but I'm also willing to pass the honor along to you, since you actually live there. :lol:

btw - why does Illinois's look sooo weird? I know it is grammatically correct, but still...

As the First to Find of the compilation cache "Found All 50 states Im going to Disneyland" I think this 50 state multi should revolve somewhere around the actual 50 State Capitals. It would present a much more difficult challange than say, for instance, slipping into the FL panhandle, to grab the FL cache. Its a teriffic idea either way....I will look forward to the challange with quivering anticipation!

Edited by JohnnyCacheAz