The 50 State Multi-cache

I would be willing to do Maryland.

We've held a Cache Across MD for several years. It's a large undertaking but well worth it. The CAM hide has a few requirements that make it a fun adventure for all cachers.

I think DaisyChain would be an excellent hider. Her caching area is also the second most beautiful part of Maryland... :rolleyes:

If two were needed in Maryland, I'd be willing to set one up here on Maryland's Eastern Shore.

Looking forward to this challenge!!! Thanks for the opportunity to be part of it!

Here is my food for thought.....

I still think that one cache per state should be the rule. I understand some states are HUGE....but anyone seriously taking on this challenge would know that travel is going to be the norm. If they want all the caches, where ever its located in a given state, they'll find a way to get there. Who knows, placing one cache just may inspire travel to a part of a state that sees few cachers. (Yes, Wisconsin has those areas).

The only problem with having only one cache per state is that it keeps the person who owns that cache from finding all 50 of the caches.

Now I don't have a problem with saying that you can just count the one you hid instead of having to find one in your state, but other people might not agree with that sentiment. I can imagine that some people might decide not to do all fifty because they refuse to count their own as one of the fifty. It does spoil the fun, just a smidgeon, for the cache owner.

Also, if there were two caches in each state, it would help to assure that at least one of them would probably be available exactly when someone wanted to go to that state.

In most such hunts and contests which have been run (i.e., at the regional level), the hider is automatically given credit for the caches which she/he hid, i.e., in this case, the cache hidden in their own state. I suggest that the same automatic credit for find be extended in this case as well.

Looking forward to this challenge!!! Thanks for the opportunity to be part of it!

Here is my food for thought.....

I still think that one cache per state should be the rule. I understand some states are HUGE....but anyone seriously taking on this challenge would know that travel is going to be the norm. If they want all the caches, where ever its located in a given state, they'll find a way to get there. Who knows, placing one cache just may inspire travel to a part of a state that sees few cachers. (Yes, Wisconsin has those areas).

The only problem with having only one cache per state is that it keeps the person who owns that cache from finding all 50 of the caches.

Now I don't have a problem with saying that you can just count the one you hid instead of having to find one in your state, but other people might not agree with that sentiment. I can imagine that some people might decide not to do all fifty because they refuse to count their own as one of the fifty. It does spoil the fun, just a smidgeon, for the cache owner.

Also, if there were two caches in each state, it would help to assure that at least one of them would probably be available exactly when someone wanted to go to that state.

In most such hunts and contests which have been run (i.e., at the regional level), the hider is automatically given credit for the caches which she/he hid, i.e., in this case, the cache hidden in their own state. I suggest that the same automatic credit for find be extended in this case as well.

I agree. If you have found 49 of the states and are hider on the 50th, I don't think there would be a question that you earned the final. In my book you are some kind of uber-cacher.

I can't edit the list on page 2 anymore for some reason.

Here is the current list:

Alabama - wesleykey

Alaska - AKStafford

Arizona

Arkansas

California - Mystery Ink

Colorado

Connecticut

Delaware

Florida - spot-trotter

Georgia - Rebel

Hawaii

Idaho - Team Jsam

Illinois - Beffums

Indiana - sept1c_tank

Iowa - The Northwood Goonies

Kansas - k_statealan

Kentucky - SG-MIN

Louisiana - Team Gryarvold

Maine - Haffy

Maryland - DaisyChain

Massachusetts - BlkSqrl413 & MrsBlksqrl

Michigan - IAMTHATERO or Team MTJ

Minnesota - Pto

Mississippi

Missouri - OzarksJim or Jhawk or smilingsteeles

Montana

Nebraska - StarBrand

Nevada - BadAndy (can do Jackpot area)

New Hampshire

New Jersey - Rustysurfer22

New Mexico

New York - wefindall

North Carolina - erikwillke

North Dakota - Codfish116

Ohio - oscar478 or Hillbilly-Rockstar

Oklahoma -Kand

Oregon - Riddlers

Pennsylvania - jtd 18801

Rhode Island

South Carolina - llatnek

South Dakota - martinell

Tennessee - salpal

Texas - AMMOMAN

Utah

Vermont - Tharagleb

Virginia - treasure hunter

Washington - Fishiam

West Virginia - oldnavy59 or Morgan's Marauders

Wisconsin - AstroD-Team

Wyoming - dblrngr

Final cache - Center of US?

Puzzle - Will use simple numeric addition.

Edited by Blue Power Ranger

Since I have Illinois, I'd vote for letting Sept1c_tank have Indiana, with me as a backup in the future if he needs cache maintenance, etc.

I think the overall plan is great, and I think we basically have it set down.

1 cache per state (will revise if needed in the future)

all hiders get auto-credit for their state (if need be, just make sure you have one other find in that state on *any* cache -- there, you cached in your state)

all traditional hides - no multis no puzzles no mysteries (except the final)

Final in DC area (have a hider for it and everything)

Codes in each cache that add up to the final coords (hmm, anyone friends with a math person? where's fizzymagic when you need him/her). :anibad:

photo verification required for each cache

no need to e-mail for the final coords, but maybe the only way to e-mail asking if you have the final coords correct is if you have photos uploaded for each of your 50 finds? And, on the final stage, a note that the series owners reserve the right to delete your find on the final cache if it is found that you did not personally complete each of the 50 legs?

now to work out details.

what's the name? :)

do we have a max distance from a highway? (if so, US highway? interstate? state highway? just no 15 miles hikes from the closest road??)

when are we hoping to start placing them? and is there an order of placement that BPR would like?

(um, I'm sure there are plenty more details to be listed, but these are what I came up with so far)

now to work out details.

Been working on it but I need help. So far we have:

50 State Cache Guidelines

1. There will be one cache hidden per state for a total of 50 caches.

2. Each of these caches will be a standard cache

3. The cache size should be regular or large (ammo can preferred)

4. Terrain and Difficulty for these caches should not exceed 2.5. We want these to be accessible to the vast majority of cachers.

5. Caches should contain standard cache swag with a focus on quality (not expense) including a logbook.

6. The inside lid of each cache will be inscribed with a 5-digit code that will be used for the final puzzle cache.

7. Caches should be hidden in an area that is somehow representative of your state.

8. Cache descriptions (online) should contain an explanation of why that location represents your state.

9. Caches are available to all cachers whether pursuing the 50-State challenge or now.

10. If a cacher wishes to pursue the 50 state challenge, they should include a photo with their online log. If for whatever reason a photo is impossible. Please make alternate arrangements with the cache owner for verification of the find.

11. Since people will potentially be traveling great distances to these caches, they should be maintained regularly to insure they are in good condition and ready for finders.

12. The final cache will be located in _____?

13. Blue Power Ranger will maintain the master list of cache codes and will be responsible for insuring that there are active caches in all 50 states.

For initial launch, I think we should do a test run with 5 states and see how that goes and then do a phased launch of remaining states.

I can take Kansas. Live near I-70 (runs length of state from E-W). Might also be a good centralized location for the final cache. My brother, powercatjeffy, would probably also help out. My idea for a place puts it about halfway between our houses.

Edited by k_statealan

A logistical problem just occurred to me regarding placement of the final and placement of coordinates in the 50 primaries: The way I see it, the final has to be in place FIRST, and once the addition gets worked out, each State cache-owner gets his part of the code emailed to him, so they can place their caches.

Am I missing something? Or can it be worked out differently?

10. If a cacher wishes to pursue the 50 state challenge, they should include a photo with their online log. If for whatever reason a photo is impossible. Please make alternate arrangements with the cache owner for verification of the find.

Does this imply that the "final" cache would only be findable by someone who has found all 50 of the others? I think the chances of it being brute-forced/accidentally discovered would be a lot higher than someone completing the entire quest. Actually, I think it would be just as cool for cachers throughout the country to join forces, help each other find caches and solve the puzzle, and all get together to find the end (even though not every one of them has visited every single state cache).

Another suggestion -- if you've volunteered for a state, take it back to your local caching forums and get input from the community there. You can probably get some great suggestions on what location really represents your state as a whole.

Thanks for putting together this great idea, Blue Power Ranger. :anibad:

A logistical problem just occurred to me regarding placement of the final and placement of coordinates in the 50 primaries: The way I see it, the final has to be in place FIRST, and once the addition gets worked out, each State cache-owner gets his part of the code emailed to him, so they can place their caches.

Initially, I think we can deploy some of the caches even before the final is worked out. The math can be adjusted with the final placed caches or possibly even in the the "given" starting numbers on the final. Am I wrong?

Does this imply that the "final" cache would only be findable by someone who has found all 50 of the others? I think the chances of it being brute-forced/accidentally discovered would be a lot higher than someone completing the entire quest. Actually, I think it would be just as cool for cachers throughout the country to join forces, help each other find caches and solve the puzzle, and all get together to find the end (even though not every one of them has visited every single state cache).

Another suggestion -- if you've volunteered for a state, take it back to your local caching forums and get input from the community there. You can probably get some great suggestions on what location really represents your state as a whole.

Thanks for putting together this great idea, Blue Power Ranger. :)

Yes, I think the final should only be for the finder of the whole thing, each and every state. With this many numbers involved in the equation, I think brute-forcing coordinates is unlikely. I want to avoid people simply being able to post the puzzle numbers for each state in a forum post and having the whole thing solved in a month and therefore let the air out of the balloon.

The great preference would be if the final could be on somebody's private property near Lebannon, KS (near center of US). Therefore secure from the casual passerby. :)

:anibad: GREAT SUGGESTION to work within your local forums to select a location representative of your state.

Edited by Blue Power Ranger

I'll see if I can put an HTML template together for you.

I think this is a great idea, and sounds like a lot of fun. :) I would volunteer to place a cache, but I've not done that yet, and I'd be nervous about making something this serious my first one.

However, if you don't get any volunteers for Arizona, I'll tentatively do so. :anibad:

Still need help with someone coming up with a cache page template. Anyone out there that can do this. I don't have the skills to come up with a cool look...

13a73228-67f0-4f02-ba09-b4b587686ee2.jpg

Actually, what's wrong with this? The colors are a bit bright for me, but I like the numbered state thing.

Thanks for putting together this great idea, Blue Power Ranger. :anibad:

Yes, I think the final should only be for the finder of the whole thing, each and every state. With this many numbers involved in the equation, I think brute-forcing coordinates is unlikely. I want to avoid people simply being able to post the puzzle numbers for each state in a forum post and having the whole thing solved in a month and therefore let the air out of the balloon.

The great preference would be if the final could be on somebody's private property near Lebannon, KS (near center of US). Therefore secure from the casual passerby. :)

:) GREAT SUGGESTION to work within your local forums to select a location representative of your state.

I think placing the final near the geographical center of the U.S. is a great idea. I ran across a few caches located on private property (with permission) while caching in Kansas recently, so I hope that works out. As for brute-forcers, you don't want to underestimate their abilities! (Once the general area is known, it's possible to come up with "likely solutions" without all the numbers - I've seen this done many times) However, it's unlikely they'll travel all the way to Kansas to take a shot. I suppose Kansas cachers have some advantage (for brute-forcing), but I don't recall any caching controversies from them, so I think we are OK there. :)

Having said that, I would keep the puzzle for the final straightforward, since the point of doing this is the journey. With a good community participation on this project, I doubt we'll need to worry about cheating since the bad publicity can be quite severe around here.

Still need help with someone coming up with a cache page template. Anyone out there that can do this. I don't have the skills to come up with a cool look...

13a73228-67f0-4f02-ba09-b4b587686ee2.jpg

Actually, what's wrong with this? The colors are a bit bright for me, but I like the numbered state thing.

I just know there are folks out there who could do so much better. I'd be happy to send you or anyone the html file if you wanted to take a crack at improvement.

I think placing the final near the geographical center of the U.S. is a great idea. I ran across a few caches located on private property (with permission) while caching in Kansas recently, so I hope that works out.

If we don't hear something soon, we can post in regional forums for the area and see what pops up.

This is awesome... aside from a few varying opinions, this forum thread has found willing folks in what 35+ states now in exactly 72 hours... that's cool.

I like Americache for the name. I think a note should be made by those organizing this, that each state cache should follow some sort of naming convention, so all the caches can be found and recognized, like "Americache - Ohio".

I wonder what the estimated cost to complete this would be? On a dedicated route, it's probably at least what 6000 - 7000 miles at the low end? Plus tix to Hawaii, maybe to Alaska as well... That's about $1500 in travel alone... and how many AA batteries?? :anibad:

Cool idea! I'd volunteer for IL if I weren't a military gypsy.

For a name, how about 'Cache Across America' or 'Cache Quest USA'

I hope these will all be quality caches. 50 lampposts would be anti-climactic. However, wheelchair accessible might not be a bad plan. One idea might be a requirement to place it near a monument or historical area that represents the state. IE the Alamo for TX, a ski resort for CO etc.

Oh yeah, about the center thing:

- The geographical center of the lower 48 states lies outside of Lebanon, Kansas, in the middle of a hog farm.

- The geographical center of all 50 states is located 17 miles west of Castle Rock, South Dakota.

- The geodetic center of the U.S. is found approximately 42 miles south of Lebanon, Kansas. (Note: A geodetic survey makes corrections to account for the curvature of the Earth.)

Since I have Illinois, I'd vote for letting Sept1c_tank have Indiana, with me as a backup in the future if he needs cache maintenance, etc.

I think the overall plan is great, and I think we basically have it set down.

1 cache per state (will revise if needed in the future)

all hiders get auto-credit for their state (if need be, just make sure you have one other find in that state on *any* cache -- there, you cached in your state)

all traditional hides - no multis no puzzles no mysteries (except the final)

Final in DC area (have a hider for it and everything)

Codes in each cache that add up to the final coords (hmm, anyone friends with a math person? where's fizzymagic when you need him/her). :anibad:

photo verification required for each cache

no need to e-mail for the final coords, but maybe the only way to e-mail asking if you have the final coords correct is if you have photos uploaded for each of your 50 finds? And, on the final stage, a note that the series owners reserve the right to delete your find on the final cache if it is found that you did not personally complete each of the 50 legs?

now to work out details.

what's the name? :)

do we have a max distance from a highway? (if so, US highway? interstate? state highway? just no 15 miles hikes from the closest road??)

when are we hoping to start placing them? and is there an order of placement that BPR would like?

(um, I'm sure there are plenty more details to be listed, but these are what I came up with so far)

I am a math person.

No, I can take 50 random numbers and use them to compute any coordinates desired, and make it so that nobody can short the multi.

No, I can take 50 random numbers and use them to compute any coordinates desired, and make it so that nobody can short the multi.

So... if I were to start distributing 5-digit codes now, you could work with whatever I gave out later?

Just wondering if anybody has emailed a reviewer to see if this is even possible and if it will work/get approved. Just curious.

<removed by poster>

I emailed my local reviewer and received the following reply:

I've skimmed your thread, before your email actually. There is even a discussion in the reviewer forum about it already. We are keeping an eye on the thread and will see what you guys come up with.

Looks like they want to see a final plan first. I don't see anything we could possibly be doing falling outside guidelines.

So... if I were to start distributing 5-digit codes now, you could work with whatever I gave out later?

Yes, once we have the coords for the final I can arrange a way for the 50 numbers to go into a formula and have that produce the coords.

I can take Kansas. Live near I-70 (runs length of state from E-W). Might also be a good centralized location for the final cache.

Thanks!

Are you familiar with the geographic center of the USA in KS? Is there an area we can do a final there?

I've been near there a couple of times in my life but its a bit out of the way for me. Probably a 3 - 3 1/2 hr drive. Also, there is already a virtual at that location. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...7a-1f08abf8cd46

It is also probably a good 1 1/2 hour drive from interstate (either I-70 in Kansas or I-80 in Nebraska). I can think of several areas more accessible (for me and other cachers) that don't have any caches near them.

Can someone please explain to me in laymans terms about the coordinate math chatter that is going on for this plan? I am curious as to how that is going to help us in placing our cache in the area that we are supposed to choose to represent this series. I have a tentative location already in mind that would be great and need to know if I get to choose the location or the math cords do. Just really confused at this point, so please help.

Also for alot of states placing a large cache in an area like say the Alamo, or at the state capitol building where there is alot of foot traffic, muggles and lack of cover for hiding is maybe not a great idea. There are chances that it be mistaken for a bomb or taken completely just the for heck of it. It seems to me that it would be better to place them in an area this is still representative of the state but not really in the main stream of things, or sort of off the beaten track some in smaller towns and still be accessible to the average joe or jane.