The 50 State Multi-cache

After you collect every clue, there needs to be some challenge to decypher, but not so much as to make that the hard part - the hard part is collecting them.

I personally would add one requirement - you must vist each cache. People would be tempted to cheat, and just get people in each state to email them the clues. Make it interesting - make it worthwhile - make it a task worth completeing.

Wanted: One puzzle genius - Who wants to be responsible for creating the puzzle to go with this? What info needs to be placed in each cache etc.

Once we have the list of willing participants, you will need to be the one responsible for getting them the info they need to include in their cache and will be the mastermind behind creating the puzzle.

I have a nomination:

I sure there others with great skills, however having previously spent some time looking at puzzle caches (and being stumped by them), two names come to mind - Snoogans and NudeCacher. Now if either one would agree to participate I have no idea.

Question - if you are the hider for 1 of the 50, can you still find the rest of the series and claim the "big prize"? I'm guessing if you can maintain a cache in ___ state, that you've also found at least one cache in that state (or would be able to do so fairly easily), so if you found the rest, you *would* have found all 50 states.

I would think so. Honestly, I don't think it will come up too often. I am excited to hide one but doubt I will even see all 50 states in my lifetime let alone cache them.

We need a KILLER cool final. Especially the FTF prize.

My opinion is that the final for the multi should be hidden somewhere near the Continental Divide.

In the red desert of Wyoming where the divide actual splits around the dry desert basin. Water flows in but not out to anywhere.

How about around here.

I think that's a great spot. But is there a place to hide a good size cache that will represent this great quest? And not be prone to muggle wanna-see-looks-good-take-it-for-fun problems. Has anybody been here that can tell us that?

The beauty is that we can start deploying individual caches as soon as practical and the puzzle-master becomes involved.

All 50 do not need to deploy at once but should deploy within a reasonable time-frame. I would like to see this roll before the summer vacation season ends.

A couple of points for discussion - I would like to see a common universal look and feel to each of the caches' pages.

HELP WANTED - Is there a web designer out there that would be willing to put together a simple but elegant HTML template that we can use for the pages for each of these caches?

I want visitors to the pages to know what this is all about.

Another point - I believe those going for the 50-state quest should have to have a photo w/ the cache in each individual state posted on that cache's page. Not a requirement to log the find for those just doing casual caching.

Thoughts?

-LETS DO THIS THING!!!

This will be the final list.

As the moderator suggested, I will just modify this list from this point forward rather than re-posting time and time again.

Alabama - wesleykey

Alaska - AKStafford

Arizona

Arkansas

California - Mystery Ink

Colorado

Connecticut

Delaware

Florida - spot-trotter

Georgia - Rebel

Hawaii

Idaho - Team Jsam

Illinois - Beffums

Indiana - sept1c_tank or Beffums

Iowa - The Northwood Goonies

Kansas

Kentucky - SG-MIN

Louisiana - Team Gryarvold

Maine - Haffy

Maryland

Massachusetts - BlkSqrl413 & MrsBlksqrl

Michigan - IAMTHATERO

Minnesota - Pto

Mississippi

Missouri - OzarksJim or Jhawk or smilingsteeles

Montana

Nebraska - StarBrand

Nevada

New Hampshire

New Jersey - Rustysurfer22

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina - erikwillke

North Dakota - Codfish116

Ohio - oscar478 or Hillbilly-Rockstar

Oklahoma -Kand

Oregon - Riddlers

Pennsylvania - jtd 18801

Rhode Island - BBWolf + 3Pigs

South Carolina - llatnek

South Dakota - martinell

Tennessee

Texas - AMMOMAN

Utah

Vermont - Tharagleb

Virginia - treasure hunter

Washington - Fishiam

West Virginia

Wisconsin - AstroD-Team

Wyoming - dblrngr

Final cache - Center of US?

Puzzle - Will use simple numeric addition.

- Please let me know if I missed you!!!

Edited by Blue Power Ranger

HELP WANTED - Is there a web designer out there that would be willing to put together a simple but elegant HTML template that we can use for the pages for each of these caches?

I have limited resources but I can get it done. Just let know what "simple" means. :anicute:

I'm pretty sure I can do it, I've got the space...although bandwiths tight. I can get a good deal at Godaddy if everyone contributed a little. I'd rather do that than be be a cache owner in the mulit, so take me off the list and keep oscar.

BTW, Jeremy, why don't you sticky this.

-Eric

Edited by Hillbilly-Rockstar

I have limited resources but I can get it done. Just let know what "simple" means. :anicute:

I'm pretty sure I can do it, I've got the space...although bandwiths tight. I can get a good deal at Godaddy if everyone contributed a little. I'd rather do that than be be a cache owner in the mulit, so take me off the list and keep oscar.

-Eric

I was just thinking something simple that could be shared with the 50 volunteers. You know, some sort of graphical elements, as description of the overall idea of the whole thing and then individual space for information to be posted about individual caches. No need for web space, hosting or anything like that.

Does anyone have a sample of what they have done to provide a CLAF of a series they have done?

Wanted: One puzzle genius - Who wants to be responsible for creating the puzzle to go with this? What info needs to be placed in each cache etc.

Once we have the list of willing participants, you will need to be the one responsible for getting them the info they need to include in their cache and will be the mastermind behind creating the puzzle.

How about this.

Each state cache gets a number from the puzzlemaster to be posted in their cache. In order to find the final cache you add each of the number together. The final answer is your coords. It is a simple formula, and all 50 states would be needed. It would look like this:

AL - 6918

AK - 53871

AZ - 309

Total=360583108698125 = N36 05.831 x W086 98.125

I agree these have to be top quality caches. That will be the trick.

You could get people to chip in and have a FTF prize of something like $10,000 dollars (that is 1000 people at $10 - quite doable)

You had better run with this idea - you have been entrusted with the vision :-)

I like individual caches, and if they are ammo cans so much the better. If the hiders all add one dollar, you have a $50 prize at the end if nothing else. I think coming up with a real prize will take time. I would also hope that the final would be more centered so that it is equally fair and hard for everyone.

What is the most center part of the US?

How about this.

Each state cache gets a number from the puzzlemaster to be posted in their cache. In order to find the final cache you add each of the number together. The final answer is your coords. It is a simple formula, and all 50 states would be needed. It would look like this:

AL - 6918

AK - 53871

AZ - 309

Excellent suggestion!

Simple enough that everyone can solve it, yet, there is no way you can take a short cut and get the final without all 50 caches!

This gets my vote!

1. Define Requirements - What is the end goal here?

The end goal is to encourage local and global geocaching and to reward those who are dedicated to it (IMO).

The state caches should be located in areas that are significant for that state.

We may even be better served to "adopt" existing state geocaches and ask the owners to place a special page in their caches listed the others, and giving the clues. Of course others could be newly planted. I think most people would be excited about this and would be honored to have their cache requested to be a part of it.

The final cache woudl have to be something totally over the top. You have to give a reason to pursue it.

I think this could really lead to the spread of geocaching - and force people to branch out in the areas they cache.

2. Define Steps to Complete - Help?

Each stage would need to have some sort of clue. The difficultly comes in finding a system that utilizes 50 clues, but that would be possible. Math of some sort is always an option.

After you collect every clue, there needs to be some challenge to decypher, but not so much as to make that the hard part - the hard part is collecting them.

I personally would add one requirement - you must vist each cache. People would be tempted to cheat, and just get people in each state to email them the clues. Make it interesting - make it worthwhile - make it a task worth completeing.

How about a 50-character alpha-numeric clue, 1 character per cache....you place each character next to the name of the state in the alphabetical list and eventually the full message is spelled out. Definitely require all 50 logs to be signed for the final cache to count, or else some Wheel of Fortune whiz could jump right ahead :anicute:

How about this.

AL - 6918

AK - 53871

AZ - 309

Excellent suggestion!

Simple enough that everyone can solve it, yet, there is no way you can take a short cut and get the final without all 50 caches!

This gets my vote!

Sounds good to me too. So, If we do that. We will need to Come up with a location for the final as the first step. Center of USA was given above. Anyone in that area that can suggest a VERY SECURE cache location that will remain secure even if the cache is not found for 5+ years? Perhaps an owner of nearby private property that will allow the final to be on their land?

A couple of thoughts:

1) Stick with just the 50 states. DC is *way* too hard.

2) Geocoin. Used for FTF prize in the 50 caches. Sales profits could go for a *neato* Grand Prize.

3) Let's keep the puzzle relatively simple. Here's a suggestion:

Each cache has a unique letter to number mapping. "a" = 6, "G" = 8, etc. Use the letters a-y, A-Y. This means some numbers will be covered by more than one letter (duh). The final is located at the intersection of two lines, defined by 4 sets of coordinates encoded with the numbering scheme. Since the mapping is random (from the perspective of the finders), you would really have to find all the caches. And key coordinate values (degrees say) are hidden in the remote caches - Hawaii, Alaska, North Dakota, etc. The four points could be just about anywhere in the 50 states, so it would be very difficult (impossible?) to guess the points.

The only wrinkle here is the guideline requiring the listed coords for a puzzle cache be close to where the actual is. Perhaps TPTB could make an exception with this series of caches, and let us specify a point int he STATE it is hidden in? Whattaya say TPTB?!?!

4) Each cache page should have the same format (as already suggested) with a common styled clipart image for the state (something like the USPS's 50 state stamp pictures). The common format would just cover the "top half" of the listing, with the bottom half providing details relative to the specific cache.

Just some thoughts!

Few of us could ever do it, but I already have a trip planned with another cacher that pretty much follows the CraiginCT route, so we will accomplish both our 50-state cace run and Going to Disneyland at once!

There are a number of Delorme Challenges encompassing the counties in a state, don't see why this couldn't be a nationwide Delorme Challenge.

Having cacher's 'sign-up' for a cache in a 50-state multi would mean it will likely never get done - a state is a huge area to traverse to get a specific cache, better I think to say 1 cache in every state, doesn't matter where in the state that cache is.

Having them in some logical place, like along the major Interstate route CraiginCT took, might make specific caches more feasable...having one in, say, eastern Tn, NE Al, North Ga and Central Fl would create a hopscotch bucoupe-thousand-mile challenge that no one would ever likely complete.

-Eric

I was just thinking something simple that could be shared with the 50 volunteers. You know, some sort of graphical elements, as description of the overall idea of the whole thing and then individual space for information to be posted about individual caches. No need for web space, hosting or anything like that.

Does anyone have a sample of what they have done to provide a CLAF of a series they have done?

Wait, do you want sample HTML, I've already completed (for other sites) or what I would make for this site?

-Eric

-Eric

Wait, do you want sample HTML, I've already completed (for other sites) or what I would make for this site?

-Eric

I thought just a sample if what has been done before. No need to re-invent the wheel... yet. I know some folks out there must have a series of caches they have done with a similar look and feel for the cache pages.

A couple of thoughts:

1) Stick with just the 50 states. DC is *way* too hard.

2) Geocoin. Used for FTF prize in the 50 caches. Sales profits could go for a *neato* Grand Prize.

3) Let's keep the puzzle relatively simple. Here's a suggestion:

Each cache has a unique letter to number mapping. "a" = 6, "G" = 8, etc. Use the letters a-y, A-Y. This means some numbers will be covered by more than one letter (duh). The final is located at the intersection of two lines, defined by 4 sets of coordinates encoded with the numbering scheme. Since the mapping is random (from the perspective of the finders), you would really have to find all the caches. And key coordinate values (degrees say) are hidden in the remote caches - Hawaii, Alaska, North Dakota, etc. The four points could be just about anywhere in the 50 states, so it would be very difficult (impossible?) to guess the points.

The only wrinkle here is the guideline requiring the listed coords for a puzzle cache be close to where the actual is. Perhaps TPTB could make an exception with this series of caches, and let us specify a point int he STATE it is hidden in? Whattaya say TPTB?!?!

4) Each cache page should have the same format (as already suggested) with a common styled clipart image for the state (something like the USPS's 50 state stamp pictures). The common format would just cover the "top half" of the listing, with the bottom half providing details relative to the specific cache.

Just some thoughts!

Nah, make it a puzzle and you lose me! If you want to have puzzle pieces in each cache as an OPTION leading to a bonus cache, that'd work, but I don't do puzzles and suspect that many others don't either.

Now, if the puzzle is optional, you please everyone.

Nah, make it a puzzle and you lose me! If you want to have puzzle pieces in each cache as an OPTION leading to a bonus cache, that'd work, but I don't do puzzles and suspect that many others don't either.

Now, if the puzzle is optional, you please everyone.

Then the simple addition solution is a very good way to get to the final coords.

How about this.

AL - 6918

AK - 53871

AZ - 309

Excellent suggestion!

This gets my vote!

Sounds good to me too. So, If we do that. We will need to Come up with a location for the final as the first step. Center of USA was given above. Anyone in that area that can suggest a VERY SECURE cache location that will remain secure even if the cache is not found for 5+ years? Perhaps an owner of nearby private property that will allow the final to be on their land?

I know you already have two for MO but if you are looking for a monument, like the Arch, I am only 35 minutes from it and happy to volunteer. As far as the area in Lebannon I just did two caches there this past weekend. That was it! There are a few more in the surrounding area so maybe contacting one of those cache owners would be helpful for information. Just a thought. :lol:

another thought - for the individual state caches, is there a goal for each? For example, mostly 1/1's? or no 5/5's? or ? I know people have said ammo can and "worth it" (ok, paraphrased there), and I am fine with that, but I think you might want to consider whether or not a 5/5 for one state would be desirable - what if someone got 49, but couldn't get the 50 because they don't know how to rappel or don't own a boat and that last cache is a not close enough to any rental options, or...

personally, I think it might make sense to say no terrain over 4.5 -- i.e., anything that doesn't require specialized tools is fine, but don't put a scuba cache out as part of the series, etc. just my 2 cents

I like the idea of four points with coords, that intersect. That gives everyone a chance with no puzzles.

My question is, if you are driving through a state, can you take the time to hike a four mile round trip or should they all be level 2 and within four miles of a major highway. That seems more fair.

some of us can't physically do a 4.5 and others don't have four wheel drive so a fair limit should be set. Some of us don't have dog sleds to reach one clear up in Alaska or deep in a cave in Arizona. Even at a level 2 or 3 we can make this a very good hide in a good location. For me in Oregon, the coast is one of our best places but it would take a special detour of over five hours off of the direct route from California to Washington. So I might pick a hot springs or something here as a hiding spot. What do you think?

I have to admit, I'd personally prefer nothing above a 3* terrain (and few 5* difficulties). Just wasn't sure what others thought, and didn't want to sound like the wuss I am. :lol:

BTW - Blue Power Ranger -- I think you might wanna check your e-mail/PM's to see if anyone has PM'ed you (rather than responding here) about covering a state. Some are forum shy, but hide excellent caches.

If this is to be the ultimate multi, you'd best use 50 caches, one in each state and require that a logbook be signed by any individual cacher wanting to complete the entire series. If you just needed to pick up a number at an existing cache, you could imagine teams of players cooperating to gain all the needed info.

If this is to be the ultimate multi, you'd best use 50 caches, one in each state and require that a logbook be signed by any individual cacher wanting to complete the entire series. If you just needed to pick up a number at an existing cache, you could imagine teams of players cooperating to gain all the needed info.

No dice on working together! :lol: You need to personally visit all caches. Follow up the thread a bit and you will see that there will be a photo requirement for those using the cache in pursuit of the final! I mentioned it as an option before I think. Lets change that to requirement.

I have to admit, I'd personally prefer nothing above a 3* terrain (and few 5* difficulties). Just wasn't sure what others thought, and didn't want to sound like the wuss I am. :lol:

BTW - Blue Power Ranger -- I think you might wanna check your e-mail/PM's to see if anyone has PM'ed you (rather than responding here) about covering a state. Some are forum shy, but hide excellent caches.

Good call! Checked the PMs and adding volunteers to the list! Can't believe the response I am getting! ;)

Maybe make it a tour of State Capitols, with a cache near every state capitol building?

I imagine most capitols have an existing cache close by that could be used.

I am within 3-4 miles of our (MN) state capitol bldg - and know the surrounding area very well.

The problem is, no parks directly nearby. That might create the problem of hiding it on state bldg grounds- Im not sure that would fly- BUT using items/plaques/etc on the grounds could easily be used for a short offset- within a mile (just a bit outside walking distance) And in this case - could include other nearby attractions.

If being nearby capitol bldgs- ammo cans might not work out?

Im looking for someone to cover WI

Proabably premature but as long as we are thinking big...

HEY JEREMY!

If we can pull this off... how about a special icon for these caches? You know, like the APE caches. Would be nifty to see folks' counts on these.

We could call these.... "Red, White & Blue Challenge Caches" or something cooler. Any marketing minds out there?