The 50 State Multi-cache

So wouldn't it be cool if there was a 50 state multi-cache? You know, a cache with a waypoint in each and every one of the 50 states.

It would be the granddaddy of all multis and would be a long-term target of only the truly obsessed. It would be something that would take years to collect the stages of.

In theory, all we would need is someone to agree to maintain the waypoint in each of the 50 states. Anyone interested?

I would do Washington State.

I've got kentucky.

Another option to make it even easier to maintain is to use existing caches for the multi. So rather than have a cache to maintain that might get visited once a year (if you are one of the last states) is in each state have a designated cache that is a "50-stater" and in that you have a clue for the final cache (in DC???).

That way people who visit the cache regularly would see the clue in there, along with a list of all the other state caches (ie virgina-gcv4rt, washington-gcfr43t, etc.) and then get interested in the BIG HUNT.

What do you all think?

After visiting all 50 states and becoming eligible, you're treated to... a micro.

Yes, I will begin rusting out an Altoids tin for this purpose. There just happens to be a new Walmart going up just three miles from home. Can I reserve the parking lot now?

Or... how about the "50 Walmarts in 50 States Cache" with the final ar corporate hq?

I think if we can keep this organized and get 50 reliable folks on board, we can pull this off and make something cool.

I know that at this point it seems inconceivable that anybody could ever finish something like this but right now Geocaching has such a short history. Someday, people will have been caching for 20+ years.

How about a virtual multi? Have cachers in each state grab a # or two from, say, their state capital, then comprise a fancy formula to produce the coords for the final cache.

I like Chuy's idea. Let's come up with something related to a permanent landmark in each and every state. Something that defines that state and is very likely there for the long haul. What is a realistic format to do this in while avoiding internet shortcuts to information?

Okay, so this is what we have…

Alabama

Alaska

Arizona

Arkansas

California - Mystery Ink

Colorado

Connecticut

Delaware

Florida

Georgia

Hawaii

Idaho - Team Jsam

Illinois

Indiana

Iowa

Kansas

Kentucky - SG-MIN

Louisiana

Maine

Maryland

Massachusetts

Michigan

Minnesota

Mississippi

Missouri

Montana

Nebraska

Nevada

New Hampshire

New Jersey

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina

North Dakota - Codfish116

Ohio - oscar478

Oklahoma

Oregon

Pennsylvania

Rhode Island

South Carolina

South Dakota

Tennessee

Texas

Utah

Vermont

Virginia

Washington - Blue Power Ranger

West Virginia

Wisconsin

Wyoming

Edit: Unfortunate spelling of Virginia :anicute:

Edited by Blue Power Ranger

Reviewers - If properly organized, is this something that could ever be approved?

Alabama

Alaska

Arizona

Arkansas

California - Mystery Ink

Colorado

Connecticut

Delaware

Florida

Georgia

Hawaii

Idaho - Team Jsam

Illinois

Indiana

Iowa

Kansas

Kentucky - SG-MIN

Louisiana

Maine

Maryland

Massachusetts

Michigan

Minnesota

Mississippi

Missouri - OzarksJim

Montana

Nebraska

Nevada

New Hampshire

New Jersey

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina

Ohio - oscar478

Oklahoma

Oregon - Riddlers

Pennsylvania - jtd 18801

Rhode Island

South Carolina

South Dakota

Tennessee

Texas

Utah

Vermont

Virginia - treasure hunter

West Virginia

Wisconsin

Wyoming - dblrngr

Is the idea still for a 50 stage multi, or for 50 caches that if all found will result in being able to find the 51st?

I am thinking 50 stage multi. Thoughts?

You know, maybe the 50 caches in 50 states thing is a better idea with it all leading to one final cache in ???? That might drive more traffic to the caches in the meantime.

Is the idea still for a 50 stage multi, or for 50 caches that if all found will result in being able to find the 51st?

I am thinking 50 stage multi. Thoughts?

You know, maybe the 50 caches in 50 states thing is a better idea with it all leading to one final cache in ???? That might drive more traffic to the caches in the meantime.

Hey I'll do it for New Jersey if you want me too! That would be so cool! PLease PM me to send me info and count me in! :anicute:

Edited by Rustysurfer22

Reviewers - If properly organized, is this something that could ever be approved?

Alabama

Alaska

Arizona

Arkansas

California - Mystery Ink

Colorado

Connecticut

Delaware

Florida

Georgia

Hawaii

Idaho - Team Jsam

Illinois

Indiana

Iowa

Kansas

Kentucky - SG-MIN

Louisiana

Maine

Maryland

Massachusetts

Michigan

Minnesota

Mississippi

Missouri - OzarksJim

Montana

Nebraska

Nevada

New Hampshire

New Jersey - Rustysurfer22

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina

Ohio - oscar478

Oklahoma

Oregon - Riddlers

Pennsylvania - jtd 18801

Rhode Island

South Carolina

South Dakota

Tennessee

Texas

Utah

Vermont

West Virginia

Wisconsin

Wyoming - dblrngr

Edited by Rustysurfer22

if you make it 50 caches to complete the final, people who are new to geocaching can start in their area, and then when on vacation hit the states they need.

If it is a multi - you have to go in order and basiclly the time needed will increase exponentially

I'll do Rhode Island!

I think 50 separate caches in 50 states, with some sort of "bonus" cache at the end, signifying you have found all 50. This way, the caches will be visited regularly. And none should be park and grabs! Make them "old school" - a nice walk in the woods, a simple find, and cool swag. Each cache could also have a code, number, letter, whatever, that can be used to find a "51st" cache. Perhaps the powers that be would let us have a "non-cache" that could be used for looging the "I got all 50!" log (w/ coords in DC?). Anyone claiming to have found all 50 must have their signature in each of the 50 logs verified before being allowed to claim the "All 50".

"50 Caches in 50 States (RI)", etc could be the names (or some such).

Here's the latest...

Alabama

Alaska

Arizona

Arkansas

California - Mystery Ink

Colorado

Connecticut

Delaware

Florida

Georgia

Hawaii

Idaho - Team Jsam

Illinois

Indiana

Iowa

Kansas

Kentucky - SG-MIN

Louisiana - Team Gryarvold

Maine

Maryland

Massachusetts

Michigan

Minnesota - Pto

Mississippi

Missouri - OzarksJim

Montana

Nebraska

Nevada

New Hampshire

New Jersey

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina

Ohio - oscar478 or Hillbilly-Rockstar

Oklahoma

Oregon - Riddlers

Pennsylvania - jtd 18801

Rhode Island - BBWolf + 3Pigs

South Carolina

South Dakota - martinell

Tennessee

Texas

Utah

Vermont

West Virginia

Wisconsin

Wyoming - dblrngr

I would make the final cache in DC, but obviously it would be a mystery cache. I am thinking this is on par with a Da Vinci Code / National Treasure style search. Lets be honest, very few people will be able to log this as a find.

People would search for years to get the information needed to complete the final stage. I mean honestly, how many people have cached in all 50 states, let alone captured a specific cache in a specific state (the more I think about it, the more I belive it has to be individual states - as a multi it would be insane.)

I agree these have to be top quality caches. That will be the trick.

You could get people to chip in and have a FTF prize of something like $10,000 dollars (that is 1000 people at $10 - quite doable)

You had better run with this idea - you have been entrusted with the vision :-)

I would make the final cache in DC, but obviously it would be a mystery cache. I am thinking this is on par with a Da Vinci Code / National Treasure style search. Lets be honest, very few people will be able to log this as a find.

People would search for years to get the information needed to complete the final stage. I mean honestly, how many people have cached in all 50 states, let alone captured a specific cache in a specific state (the more I think about it, the more I belive it has to be individual states - as a multi it would be insane.)

I agree these have to be top quality caches. That will be the trick.

You could get people to chip in and have a FTF prize of something like $10,000 dollars (that is 1000 people at $10 - quite doable)

You had better run with this idea - you have been entrusted with the vision :-)

I am a Project Manager by profession so I am happy to help with the organization of this. First place we should go:

1. Define Requirements - What is the end goal here?

2. Define Steps to Complete - Help?

1. Define Requirements - What is the end goal here?

The end goal is to encourage local and global geocaching and to reward those who are dedicated to it (IMO).

The state caches should be located in areas that are significant for that state.

We may even be better served to "adopt" existing state geocaches and ask the owners to place a special page in their caches listed the others, and giving the clues. Of course others could be newly planted. I think most people would be excited about this and would be honored to have their cache requested to be a part of it.

The final cache woudl have to be something totally over the top. You have to give a reason to pursue it.

I think this could really lead to the spread of geocaching - and force people to branch out in the areas they cache.

2. Define Steps to Complete - Help?

Each stage would need to have some sort of clue. The difficultly comes in finding a system that utilizes 50 clues, but that would be possible. Math of some sort is always an option.

After you collect every clue, there needs to be some challenge to decypher, but not so much as to make that the hard part - the hard part is collecting them.

I personally would add one requirement - you must vist each cache. People would be tempted to cheat, and just get people in each state to email them the clues. Make it interesting - make it worthwhile - make it a task worth completeing.

Here's the latest...

Alabama

Alaska

Arizona

Arkansas

California - Mystery Ink

Colorado

Connecticut

Delaware

Florida

Georgia

Hawaii

Idaho - Team Jsam

Illinois

Indiana

Iowa

Kansas

Kentucky - SG-MIN

Maine

Maryland

Massachusetts

Michigan

Minnesota - Pto

Mississippi

Missouri - OzarksJim

Montana

Nebraska

Nevada

New Hampshire

New Jersey

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina

Oklahoma

Oregon - Riddlers

Pennsylvania - jtd 18801

South Carolina

South Dakota - martinell

Tennessee

Texas

Utah

Vermont

West Virginia

Wisconsin

Wyoming - dblrngr

Don't forget DC

After you collect every clue, there needs to be some challenge to decypher, but not so much as to make that the hard part - the hard part is collecting them.

I personally would add one requirement - you must vist each cache. People would be tempted to cheat, and just get people in each state to email them the clues. Make it interesting - make it worthwhile - make it a task worth completeing.

Wanted: One puzzle genius - Who wants to be responsible for creating the puzzle to go with this? What info needs to be placed in each cache etc.

Once we have the list of willing participants, you will need to be the one responsible for getting them the info they need to include in their cache and will be the mastermind behind creating the puzzle.

Here's the latest...

Alabama - wesleykey

Alaska

Arizona

Arkansas

California - Mystery Ink

Colorado

Connecticut

Delaware

Florida

Georgia

Hawaii

Idaho - Team Jsam

Illinois

Indiana

Iowa

Kansas

Kentucky - SG-MIN

Maine

Maryland

Massachusetts

Michigan

Minnesota - Pto

Mississippi

Missouri - OzarksJim or Jhawk

Montana

Nebraska

Nevada

New Hampshire

New Jersey

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina - erikwillke

Oklahoma

Oregon - Riddlers

Pennsylvania - jtd 18801

South Carolina

South Dakota - martinell

Tennessee

Texas

Utah

Vermont

West Virginia

Wisconsin

Wyoming - dblrngr

DC Final cache - ?

Puzzle - ?

Wanted: One puzzle genius - Who wants to be responsible for creating the puzzle to go with this? What info needs to be placed in each cache etc.

Once we have the list of willing participants, you will need to be the one responsible for getting them the info they need to include in their cache and will be the mastermind behind creating the puzzle.

hmm.... sounds intriguing - but after thinking about it, the person who plants the final, and who comes up with the puzzle could not log a find on it.... this could be to big for me to miss.

After all, it is all about the numbers... isn't it? :anicute:

(they had better give you a pretty da'gone big smilie face for completeing this one.

-bk

I'm not too far from the Lincoln Boyhood State Park, so that likely would be a good spot for Indiana; I'm also only 3 miles from Illinois, but the extreme SouthEast corner of Illinois just isn't allllll that enticing in the grand geocaching scheme... :anicute:

If you're in a pinch for either state, let me know. But, if someone else has a cool idea for an Indiana or Illinois cache, I'm find with being the finder rather than the hider! :P

Question - if you are the hider for 1 of the 50, can you still find the rest of the series and claim the "big prize"? I'm guessing if you can maintain a cache in ___ state, that you've also found at least one cache in that state (or would be able to do so fairly easily), so if you found the rest, you *would* have found all 50 states.