Stuck With A Silly Login Id

Hey... there's some pretty crazy/weird/silly login IDs for www.geocaching.com!

There's ...

Mr.and Mrs. Wisearse :)

Gumby&Pokey :D

Mad Scientist :D

Secret Sqirrel

Giggles&Goofy :)

MrPeabody

Poopinthewoods :D

and, of course, DrDumbAss...

DDA-SoftLineArtColour-Avatar.jpg

What prompted you to choose 'em? Peer pressure? Temporary insanity?

Do ya really want 'em any more? Let's talk it up....

I'll go first...

How'd ya get your login ID?

==================

Joined www.geocaching.com while I was in the livingroom with my two boys (11 and 13) in 2003.

Me:"Hey guys... looks like I need a login ID for this thing... Any ideas?"

13-yr-old(watching 'That Seventies Show'): "How about Dumbass?"

Me(with one rasied eyebrow): "Hmmm... well... I don't know... it doesn't sound very official..."

11-yr-old(without missing a beat): "How about Dr. Dumbass?"

Me: "Yah... that's a WHOLE lot better..."

How do you feel about being stuck with it now?

==============================

I don't really mind it as long as it never get's put in the paper with my picture. Might start caching with a mask.

You don't have that many finds or hides. Create a new account and archive the old caches then hide new caches in the same/close spot as your old caches with the new account.

Forget the old account and move along, or if you think it is worth it leave it alone and be happy.

Edited by bogleman

Premium members can change their name, if you are going to be a Geocaching addict, uprgrade to Premium membership then you can change your name and keep your finds!

No they can't. Clicking my "edit profile" then the "change" link after my username get this message

Change My Username

Unfortunately due to changes to the web site functionality you can no longer change your username without assistance from a geocaching.com admin. Please keep in mind that most changes will only be done in extreme circumstances. Use the Contact Us link to request a username change. Make sure to provide your username and the reason why you wish to change your account name.

Besides, a name like DrDumbAss has to be a great conversation starter at events, why change it? :)

I got named after a really cheap beer that tastes like flavored water. I wish I'd gotten a cool name, like "Guinness."

But us volunteers are stuck with whatever name that Signal the Frog bestows upon us. Picture a mixture of the "sorting hat" scene from the first Harry Potter book/movie, and the scene in Animal House where everyone is given their pledge name.

Thank goodness Signal didn't name me "Flounder."

When I registered for this website I used my e-mail address which was simply my first name, combined with a shortened version of my last name (which is long and Polish).

There have been times since that I wished had created a more personalized name, something that said a little bit more about me. I've seen some really cool names and sometimes wish I did something similar.

That said, the name that I would have chosen at various points in my life would vary greatly. Names I chose when I was 19 probably wouldn't have any meaning for me as I approach the big five 0. Would I really want to be QueenFan, FratBoy or GanjaDude now? Nah. And names I would choose now might not be appropriate for me 20 years from now.

So I'm kind of stuck with BrianSnat. I've registered that name on gazillion websites (I can't count the times I went to register on a "new" website and found I was already there) and when I Google the name, I can be pretty certain that all of the over 2,000 hits (web and groups) are me. How many Soogans or Criminals can say that?

Edited by briansnat

I combined parts of two words which seemed to go well together.

Like briansnat, I have used the the name for everything I have done on the internet over the past few years, so it has just become "part of me". It's kind of like the name my real parents gave to me when I first step foot on this earth ... Trizumi is the name the voices in my head gave to me when I first step foot into cyberspace. :)

Edited by Trizumi

We weren't that creative looking back at our name. Pgh is the short version for Pittsburgh and we decided that since we would be looking for caches that Pghlooking would fit. The wife has since created her own name and logs seperately now using RadioactvCoconut. She's and X-Ray tech (Radioactv) and loves anything to do with palms and Coconuts (ie the beach).

I've been BubbleDragon since my first excursion onto the internet and IRC. It's mostly because I like dragons, but I'm afraid of fire. I was once referred to as a soap-bottle with wings. :) I'd kill for a logo of that - lol.

My dad goes by Lowroad, and has since nicknamed my mother Highroad. I actually think that this was completely random, but it works. He doesn't log much anymore, but I usually mention in mine if they were with me or not.

My brother just registered an account as ProdigalShamrock, because we're of Irish descent.

My husband doesn't have an account, but I generally refer to him as hellfish in our logs - which I should stop doing, since there IS a cacher by name of hellfish! Once he gets a name, mayhaps I'll go back through the logs and update them so that no-one's confused.

I have a "Team" account, as I collectively refer to the group I go caching with as Team PWND, which is an internetism for "Owned," but evolved through typos to pwnd. Usually found in gaming communities, such as the phrase: "I pwnd j00" I don't log finds here, but plan on posting hides with this account, and using the profile to link all the various usernames together. Wish there were a better way of doing that, but c'est la vie.

I like to think I'll stick with BubbleDragon forever, as it's been about 10 years now, but who knows.

I get to blame my brother for mine. My real name is Beth Ann, and if you add enough Yuengling into his system, it becomes Betan, then Befan, then Befffffffums. It stuck about 9 years ago (ah the joys of his 30th birthday party), and just made sense as an e-mail address/web id for me. Besides - generally when I need a web id, beffums is available. :D And, heck, if you had the opportunity to razz your big brother every time you sent an e-mail, with nothing more than your e-mail address, wouldn't you?? :)

Was checking out the internet back in '95 a few months after my daughter was born. I needed to come up with a login name for something-or-other and tried to think of one. My baby daughter was sucking on the head of a pink power ranger toy nearby and I got my inspiration. I typed in Pink Power Ranger and then thought, naw, that's girly. Quickly changed it to Blue Power Ranger and have used it as a login name ever since.

Regrets, I have a few. The name is a bit "nerdy" and has nothing to do with me but what the heck.

When I started geocaching I wanted to come up with a handle that was geocaching related. I found the word tozainamboku in a Japanese vocabulary book I have. It means East, West, South, North or every direction. No one (outside of a few geocachers in Japan) seems to be able to pronounce it. Most local geocachers call me Toz. Jeremy refered to me in the forums as Mr. T - which explains my avatar.

recdiver=recreational diver.

Back before I learned about geocaching I came up with that name for the dive forums I belonged to to mock those divers that considered themselves to be technical divers and looked down on the lowly recreational diver. I'd been diving longer than most of them had been alive and a few of them were open water students in classes were I was there dive master.

When I first logged into geocaching.com just to see if it was something I might be interested in I chose it cuz it was one I was already using and was too lazy to change it later.

I get to blame my brother for mine. My real name is Beth Ann, and if you add enough Yuengling into his system, it becomes Betan, then Befan, then Befffffffums. It stuck about 9 years ago (ah the joys of his 30th birthday party), and just made sense as an e-mail address/web id for me. Besides - generally when I need a web id, beffums is available. :) And, heck, if you had the opportunity to razz your big brother every time you sent an e-mail, with nothing more than your e-mail address, wouldn't you?? :)

Beffums, I have some severe concerns with your post, above.

First, you casually desribe pouring excessive amounts of a cheap beer into your sibling to the point of intoxication; in other words, you are promoting and recommending alcohol and drug abuse, and you are even admitting that you have supplied such abusable wares in abusive quantities to a blood relative. I do not like this and I am afraid that I will need to cancel my account here, because you geopeople are probably all a bunch of alcoholics and druggies. Sigh! Now I feel bad. And, it is all your fault!

Next, you mention having an older brother. How do you think that makes those of us feel who do not have an older brother? Or who do not have a brother at all? We are brother-deprived, aka borther-deficient, and yet you insist upon rubbing salt into our wounds. This was very insensitive on your part, and as a result, I plan to sulk for the rest of the day. It is all your fault!

:anicute::P:D:D:D:D

I get to blame my brother for mine. My real name is Beth Ann, and if you add enough Yuengling into his system, it becomes Betan, then Befan, then Befffffffums. It stuck about 9 years ago (ah the joys of his 30th birthday party), and just made sense as an e-mail address/web id for me. Besides - generally when I need a web id, beffums is available. :) And, heck, if you had the opportunity to razz your big brother every time you sent an e-mail, with nothing more than your e-mail address, wouldn't you?? :D

First, you casually desribe pouring excessive amounts of a cheap beer into your sibling to the point of intoxication; in other words, you are promoting and recommending alcohol and drug abuse, and you are even admitting that you have supplied such abusable wares in abusive quantities to a blood relative. I do not like this and I am afraid that I will need to cancel my account here, because you geopeople are probably all a bunch of alcoholics and druggies. Sigh! Now I feel bad. And, it is all your fault!

Next, you mention having an older brother. How do you think that makes those of us feel who do not have an older brother? Or who do not have a brother at all? We are brother-deprived, aka borther-deficient, and yet you insist upon rubbing salt into our wounds. This was very insensitive on your part, and as a result, I plan to sulk for the rest of the day. It is all your fault!

:D:D:DB):)B)

My sincerest apologies for discussing an imbibement of which you must be most unfortunately aware. While I did not encourage my brother's partaking of said liquid (in fact at the time, I was a poor starving student who could not afford to supply him with anything, and instead asked him to buy me foor and nourishment for the duration of his celebratory festivities), unfortunately, I also did not prevent it, and as such, could be said to be a contributor to the activities. Moreover, given my public discussion of such a horrid event, I must be said to be more than simply an enabler, and even possibly co-dependent with such activities. Alas, my shame has been exposed to the outer world.

:D :D

Serously, though - who said that having an older brother was a good thing though?!?! :P Now I am overcome with longing for the state of near paradise that you must have enjoyed, growing up without so much as one elder sibling of the masculine form. I can only dream of the blessitude to be encountered when entering a classroom and not hearing "oh, you must be ___'s little sister" The servitude required while washing his clothes, cooking his meals, and riding in the cars that he had recently washed... I must run away from the horrific memories. Now, I must huddle in the corner until these poor memories fade; hmm, or maybe I could sneak outside and check out the new cache someone hid about 20 miles from here! B)

:D:anicute::D:D:D:D

edit: I too have a "teh" affliction

Edited by Beffums

I get to blame my brother for mine. My real name is Beth Ann, and if you add enough Yuengling into his system, it becomes Betan, then Befan, then Befffffffums. It stuck about 9 years ago (ah the joys of his 30th birthday party), and just made sense as an e-mail address/web id for me. Besides - generally when I need a web id, beffums is available. :D And, heck, if you had the opportunity to razz your big brother every time you sent an e-mail, with nothing more than your e-mail address, wouldn't you?? B)

:D:anicute::P:D

My sincerest apologies for discussing an imbibement of which you must be most unfortunately aware. While I did not encourage my brother's partaking of said liquid (in fact at the time, I was a poor starving student who could not afford to supply him with anything, and instead asked him to buy me foor and nourishment for the duration of his celebratory festivities), unfortunately, I also did not prevent it, and as such, could be said to be a contributor to the activities. Moreover, given my public discussion of such a horrid event, I must be said to be more than simply an enabler, and even possibly co-dependent with such activities. Alas, my shame has been exposed to the outer world.

:D:)

Serously, though - who said that having an older brother was a good thing though?!?! :D Now I am overcome with longing for the state of near paradise that you must have enjoyed, growing up without so much as one elder sibling of the masculine form. I can only dream of the blessitude to be encountered when entering a classroom and not hearing "oh, you must be ___'s little sister" The servitude required while washing his clothes, cooking his meals, and riding in the cars that he had recently washed... I must run away from the horrific memories. Now, I must huddle in the corner until these poor memories fade; hmm, or maybe I could sneak outside and check out the new cache someone hid about 20 miles from here! B)

:):D:D:D:D

edit: I too have a "teh" affliction

Eeek! Now I feel very very bad, and I think I will go crawl under the bed and hide there all day. I am sorry I made you feel bad, and I am sorry that I gave you a case of "no big brother envy", and I am even more sorry -- in fact, super-sorry -- that I pointed out that you were an enabler and co-dependent to your brother's dysfunctional addictive behavior, and.... oh, gosh, I just feel so terrible about everything right now! Looks like I have gone and made a mess of things! I am going to cry for the rest of the day, and maybe sulk for the rest of the week! Sniff! Sob!

Oh, and I feel sooo guilty that you pointed out to teh world that I have teh rare and embarrasing "teh" affliction, which is a sure sign of prior alien abduction by alien grays. Now my secret is out. Sob!

B):D:DB)

Vinny, I know the doctor said to cut back to 20mg per day, but if you take three it is OK. Most say that 80mg is the maximum recommended dose for Prozac.

PS I am a lawyer, not a doctor

PPS to be on topic: why did you retain the ampersand in your username? Do you have a fear of forum private messages? You could've switched "&" to "and" prior to the recent username lockdown.

When I registered for this website I used my e-mail address which was simply my first name, combined with a shortened version of my last name (which is long and Polish).

There have been times since that I wished had created a more personalized name, something that said a little bit more about me. I've seen some really cool names and sometimes wish I did something similar.

That said, the name that I would have chosen at various points in my life would vary greatly. Names I chose when I was 19 probably wouldn't have any meaning for me as I approach the big five 0. Would I really want to be QueenFan, FratBoy or GanjaDude now? Nah. And names I would choose now might not be appropriate for me 20 years from now.

So I'm kind of stuck with BrianSnat. I've registered that name on gazillion websites (I can't count the times I went to register on a "new" website and found I was already there) and when I Google the name, I can be pretty certain that all of the over 2,000 hits (web and groups) are me. How many Soogans or Criminals can say that?

ditto..

ditto..

wow, that was freaky :anicute:

I do not like this and I am afraid that I will need to cancel my account here, because you geopeople are probably all a bunch of alcoholics and druggies.

Probably?

-ajb

:anicute::P:):D:DB)

ok, I've started to ask this three times already, but just deleted it. Can't resist though...

When we have a cacher with the ID of Doobies, are you surprised??

:D :D :D :D

(ok, I'll go ahead and ruin the image by pointing out that every time I've ever seen him, if he's drinking anything, it's milk. (don't even think I've ever seen him have water, let along coffee or something "stronger"). doesn't smoke, doesn't drink, ... yup. but, ya gotta wonder about the name! he *is* really good at rolling up those darn logs on nanos though). :):D

Edited by Beffums

I do not like this and I am afraid that I will need to cancel my account here, because you geopeople are probably all a bunch of alcoholics and druggies.

Probably?

-ajb

:anicute::P:):D:D:D

ok, I've started to ask this three times already, but just deleted it. Can't resist though...

When we have a cacher with the ID of Doobies, are you surprised??

:D :D :D :D

(ok, I'll go ahead and ruin the image by pointing out that every time I've ever seen him, if he's drinking anything, it's milk. (don't even think I've ever seen him have water, let along coffee or something "stronger"). doesn't smoke, doesn't drink, ... yup. but, ya gotta wonder about the name! he *is* really good at rolling up those darn logs on nanos though). :)B)

maybe he has brothers. B)

Me:"Hey guys... looks like I need a login ID for this thing... Any ideas?"

13-yr-old(watching 'That Seventies Show'): "How about Dumbass?"

Me(with one rasied eyebrow): "Hmmm... well... I don't know... it doesn't sound very official..."

11-yr-old(without missing a beat): "How about Dr. Dumbass?"

Me: "Yah... that's a WHOLE lot better..."

Hahaha thanks for the laugh. So you have no need to put your foot up their a**.