Attaching A 60csx W/ Carabiner?

K2BF

Has anyone used the litte "hole" next to the antenna on a 60Csx to attach it to something with a small carabiner? How tough is that rubber? Before I bought the unit I thought from the pictures I saw that it would be tougher and thicker than it turns out to be. I want to clip it to the strap on my pack, but don't want to rip through it.

Also, another newbie question. Why do I have to tell the unit what temperature units to use if it doesn't display temp? What am I missing?

I recently purchased a 60Cx and immediately went back on eBay and bought a neoprene holder with a clear vinyl face which is designed specifically for this unit. (60CSx as well). The neoprene case comes with a ring on the back and a small carabiner which is designed to be clipped onto a pack strap or whatever. Also, there is a velcro strap on the back which can be used to attach the whole thing to handlebars. If this interests you, go to eBay, type in Garmin 60CSx and carefully look at the accessories that are listed.

I use hole at the antenna base to enhance the buoyancy of my 60CSx. I picked up a floating keychain at a boat store, and I hook it through the hole when I use my 60CSx in a canoe or other boat. It's enough to keep it from sinking should it fall overboard. I wouldn't want to support the full weight of the unit with it, however.

A very small (about 0.3 inch diameter) split loop key ring will just barely thread into the carry strap mounting point. I use one to attach a tether when using the 60Csx on my motorcycles (added protection in case the cradle releases while riding). Very cheap and quite effective so far.

After running over my 60cs with my Land Rover, I discovered that the rubber bit that contains the antenna is actually glued onto the unit. I would definitely not use this to secure the unit.

Fortunately, I sent the broken parts back to them and they replaced it with a reconditioned unit for a fair price.