A Long Lost Geocoin?

chaosmanor

I was out caching yesterday (What a concept! Geocaching instead of being in front of the computer! :D), and I found a 2004 Washington State geocoin in one of the caches. It wasn't logged into that cache, and when I put the ID number in the system, GC.com reported that it wasn't in the system at all!

So, now I wonder if this was just a coin that someone dropped in the cache at some point, with the idea that someone (me? <_< ) might find it and activate it. The thing is, there was a piece of paper glued to the bag, with a two-word "note' on it. This note makes me wonder... So I wrote to the owners of the cache to see if they knew anything about it, but they don't have any idea where it came from.

So, I guess I'd just like some opinions. Should I make a bigger effort to find out if this belongs to someone else, or should I just try to activate it? For that matter, is it even possible to activate this after a couple of years? Can anyone tell me who produced it? The coin is a nice one; if I'm "forced" to keep it, unactivated, well, I suppose that I can reconcile myself to that :o

Any ideas? Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks, in advance :angry:

Jim

I was out caching yesterday (What a concept! Geocaching instead of being in front of the computer! :D), and I found a 2004 Washington State geocoin in one of the caches. It wasn't logged into that cache, and when I put the ID number in the system, GC.com reported that it wasn't in the system at all!

So, now I wonder if this was just a coin that someone dropped in the cache at some point, with the idea that someone (me? <_< ) might find it and activate it. The thing is, there was a piece of paper glued to the bag, with a two-word "note' on it. This note makes me wonder... So I wrote to the owners of the cache to see if they knew anything about it, but they don't have any idea where it came from.

So, I guess I'd just like some opinions. Should I make a bigger effort to find out if this belongs to someone else, or should I just try to activate it? For that matter, is it even possible to activate this after a couple of years? Can anyone tell me who produced it? The coin is a nice one; if I'm "forced" to keep it, unactivated, well, I suppose that I can reconcile myself to that :o

Any ideas? Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks, in advance :angry:

Jim

The Washington coins are not trackable on this site. They are trackable on geocachingwa.org

I was out caching yesterday (What a concept! Geocaching instead of being in front of the computer! <_<), and I found a 2004 Washington State geocoin in one of the caches...

The Washington coins are not trackable on this site. They are trackable on geocachingwa.org

Thanks for the info! I've just now logged the thing at that site.

What puzzles me is that the coin has the geocaching URL on the obverse; there is nothing about the WSGA on it. Now that I look a little closer at the bag (which is in poor shape), I can see that, under the piece of paper, there is another note about the above URL. I was planning on putting this in a new bag, anyway, so I think I'll add a better note, to make the WSGA URL more obvious.

What puzzles me is that the coin has the geocaching URL on the obverse; there is nothing about the WSGA on it.

Read that URL again. Take your time. There are a couple of extra letters before the "." and the last 3 letters are "org" :)

Glad you got it sorted out :D

Actually, the *coin* has the geocaching URL; I'm looking at it right now: www.geocaching.com. The little note inside the bag with the coin has the ".org" URL, and I readily admit that I missed that, but in my own defense, the note is tattered, and not as readable as it ought to be, which is why I'm going to put in a new one when I replace the bag. In any case, I did, indeed, get it sorted out, which is the important thing, and I appreciate the help :)