What Do You Think So Far...

harrisale

Well here it is...

Actual Size (1'75"):

nightcachers0jj.png

Larger Viewing Version

nightcachers3ms.png

As you can see, it is extremely basic so far.. I just wanted to get something along these lines...

What do you think of the design and the text? Good idea? Bad idea? Add something? Remove something

btw the text says "When the sun goes down, cachers come out"

I will hopefully post the other side soon.

thanx

Edited by harrisale

You may want to try doing the text so it is easily readable without spinning the coin. On the top half put "When the Sun Goes Down," and make the bottom of the text go around the center, and on the bottom half put "Cachers Come Out." but make the top go around the center. This way all the text is facing one direction if you are holding the coin.

Also, another idea may be to make the clock the entire inside of the coin, and put the stars and moon on the face of it. Then make the hands and ticks a yellow like they are glow are the dark.

Just some ideas to try, but I like the idea!

It's just my opinion, of course, but my preference is for simpler, less-busy coins that show lots of metal.

Too much enamel/pictures and it starts to look like a pog (if you're old enough to remember those). To me, a geocoin should be like a coin - cold metal, hefty, solid.

So the fact that you're starting with a simple design is good, from my point of view. Simpler just makes a prettier coin most of the time. It's also less likely that a simple design will be messed up in production.

Well, there is not really a story behind this coin, just that the true thrill of geocaching sometimes comes at night, and this is something I have enjoyed. Also, I love it when it is nighttime, and on a clear night the skies can be just beautiful. Thats basically what inspired me to create this coin. I do not intend to make much profit off of this coin, possibly only about .50 cents per coin, just to cover costs incase I do not sell them all. Personally, I do not really believe in the extreme commercialization of geocaching.

I do like the idea of keeping it simple, and I may not add too much more than there is now. I also like the idea of moving the clock to the back, as it seems a little out of place. Ill try playing with the text too in different positions.

It was my intent to have the moon be 3D, and possibly the stars as well. I may add some glow in the dark colours too, depending on the cost.

Keep the feedback coming.

thanx,

harrisale

Of course, you don't show us a design for the reverse. I wonder what you have in mind, if anything, yet. Perhaps the clock should go to the back, and the stars on the front would be a bit more random. Of course, technically, there shouldn't be a star inside the round "disk" of the moon, but then, I *am* an amateur astronomer, and used to work at the Griffith Observatory, so I get fussy about things like that <_< But I love the idea of making the moon and stars glow-in-the-dark :o

As for the text on the rim, I can see it both ways on how it should be displayed. But as far as being unusual is concerned, you probably want to leave it as it is.

Of course, technically, there shouldn't be a star inside the round "disk" of the moon, but then, I *am* an amateur astronomer, and used to work at the Griffith Observatory, so I get fussy about things like that <_<

Yeah, just because you can't see that part of the moon doesn't mean you can see through that part of the moon :o

Nice design - possibly a coin that would look good with a lot of black nickel showing if you go with added color, otherwise - no way.

uhh... so far your the only one to think of that buddy, and most cachers have fairly clean minds about geocaching....

Back on topic... do you think I should put the clock on the back or leave it there? Does it seem a little out of place? Ill fool around with it and see what I come up with

Edited by harrisale

I think a lot would depend upon what you plan for the reverse. If you decide to make the clock the focus of the back, then I would take it off the front. I'll be honest: aesthetically, I think it would be very cool to have a lot of midnight black on the front, with the moon, a few stars, and nothing else. I think taking the clock off the front is the way to go. But the easiest way to tell is to do it up both ways, and put them side-by-side.

As for the "come out" thing, I hadn't thought about it, but if it is a potential worry, consider changing the text to, "it's time to cache," or something like that. That would also link back to the clock...

Just call me the Henny Youngman of geocoins: Ideas... I gotta million of 'em! :)

I'm not too sure about removing that star, to some eyes, it may seem incorrect, but without it, there is just a big blank space there

Glow in the Dark Update: I think I will make the following GITD:

- Stars

- Moon (on the moon there will be a face that can only be seen at night)

- Hourly Ticks on the clock

- Hands on the clock

I'm not too sure about removing that star, to some eyes, it may seem incorrect, but without it, there is just a big blank space there

Glow in the Dark Update: I think I will make the following GITD:

- Stars

- Moon (on the moon there will be a face that can only be seen at night)

- Hourly Ticks on the clock

- Hands on the clock

Yeah, keep that star :rolleyes: Sure, it doesn't really belong, but what the heck! :anicute:

BTW: I like all of the above ideas re: glow-in-the-dark <_<

uhh... so far your the only one to think of that buddy, and most cachers have fairly clean minds about geocaching....

Back on topic... do you think I should put the clock on the back or leave it there? Does it seem a little out of place? Ill fool around with it and see what I come up with

reference the "When the sun goes down cachers come out line"

It almost sounds a little cultish or villianish to me.... Like geocachers are a bunch of hooligans that wait till the sun goes down before they come out. Like they need the darkness to conceal unlawful activities

Perhaps it is because I live in a very populated area and there is almost no good place to night cache. Sure we chase the occasion FTF in the dark but around us there are not many places we can be after dark without some nieghbor calling the police.

Honestly the actraction for me to night caching is:

-Enjoying caching so much that I don't stop when the sun goes down

-Enjoying the thrill of caching in the dark. This does add to the difficulty significantly depending on the cache and terain.

So I would suggest something like:

-Night Caching - Cause real cachers don't need sun light

-Night Caching - Cause we don't stop when the sun sets

-Night Caching - Some like it dark

then of course here is the one for those with the dirty minds

- geocaching - Some like to do it in the dark

Not trying to be critical but you asked for opinions so I gave it to you. Oh yeah and I really like the glow in the dark enamel. That will really add to the uniqueness. GOOD LUCK WITH the coin!

Edited by SunshineGang

It almost sounds a little cultish or villianish to me.... Like geocachers are a bunch of hooligans that wait till the sun goes down before they come out. Like they need the darkness to conceal unlawful activities

Perhaps it is because I live in a very populated area and there is almost no good place to night cache. Sure we chase the occasion FTF in the dark but around us there are not many places we can be after dark without some nieghbor calling the police.

Honestly the actraction for me to night caching is:

-Enjoying caching so much that I don't stop when the sun goes down

-Enjoying the thrill of caching in the dark. This does add to the difficulty significantly depending on the cache and terain.

So I would suggest something like:

-Night Caching - Cause real cachers don't need sun light

-Night Caching - Cause we don't stop when the sun sets

-Night Caching - Some like it dark

then of course here is the one for those with the dirty minds

- geocaching - Some like to do it in the dark

Not trying to be critical but you asked for opinions so I gave it to you. Oh yeah and I really like the glow in the dark enamel. That will really add to the uniqueness. GOOD LUCK WITH the coin!

HUH? I think the line is great the way it is. I have done plenty of night caching and they were some of the best times I have had. We cached at night at GW4 because there just wasn't enough time during the day.

HUH? I think the line is great the way it is. I have done plenty of night caching and they were some of the best times I have had. We cached at night at GW4 because there just wasn't enough time during the day.

Ditto.

Nice design, I'll get a couple when they're available.

I'll keep a list of people who have posted in this thread who were interested.

Also, you could send me an email @ alexkickscan@gmail.com RE: Night Cachers Coin

But no promises on when the coin will be released, I still gotta come up with the money, or enough interest to assure I can pay off the minting.

I'll start up a new thread later anyway, when I have a quote and the design is finalized.

thanx

Well, I've thought of another line if it works better or whatever:

"When the sun goes down, the hunt goes on"

Kinda a modified version of the previous one.

OK fine, but now who's gonna complain about "goes down", :anibad:

But seriously, I do like "the hunt goes on"

Well, I've thought of another line if it works better or whatever:

"When the sun goes down, the hunt goes on"

Kinda a modified version of the previous one.

I am not sure about using the word "hunt" this might offend some of our non meat eating friends. Perhaps we need to come up with a more politically correct term.

"When the sun goes down, the search goes on"

Just kidding I like your new line the best so far..... :anibad:

Coming out, Going Down, Goes On,... Where do we get Off :)

With all these directions harrisale is gonna need a GPS to find their way! :anibad:

Oh Yeeaaah!! :) They're Geocachers!! :)

Nevermind. :)

:):):):)

Coin looks really cool now. :)

Put me on the contact list. I'd like a few!

Been thinking about placing a "night only" cache in the area. A few of these would make for a great FTF prize!! :D

D-man :D

Edited by gridlox

Like the new clean design and prefer the new tag line.

I am in for two or three.

(I too dislike the star being seen thru the moon, it is a pet peeve of mine. I also don't like it when the tips of the lighted side cover an arc of more than 180 degrees from the moon's center, you are close on this so I will let it slide.)