First Time User Needs Help Please!

Hi folks,

I am working on putting a camp together this summer to teach kids grades 5-8 how to geocache. I should probably be an expert already but I am not.

Here are my questions:

1: I bought a etrex legend and am having a very difficulut time when in the woods with maintaining satelite signals. Am I doing something wrong?

2. Are there any good lead up games or activities that any of you know of that could help prepare the students for what we will be doing?

3. Is it better to use the code names of the caches when entering them into the GPS or should I use the name that is listed?

If someone wouldn't mind helping me out I would very much appreciate it. Thanks. Ryan

1: I bought a etrex legend and am having a very difficulut time when in the woods with maintaining satelite signals. Am I doing something wrong?

The Legend is useless in the woods. After a few months I sold mine and upgraded to the Garmin 60CS.

2. Are there any good lead up games or activities that any of you know of that could help prepare the students for what we will be doing?

Orienteering maybe? Map reading? Compass use?

3. Is it better to use the code names of the caches when entering them into the GPS or should I use the name that is listed?

Your Legend will name them in order, maybe something like 001, 002, 003, etc. It's easier for those of you using paper to make a note of this on the paper rather than spending a lot of time programing the GPS.

Hi folks,

I am working on putting a camp together this summer to teach kids grades 5-8 how to geocache. I should probably be an expert already but I am not.

Here are my questions:

If someone wouldn't mind helping me out I would very much appreciate it. Thanks. Ryan

First - you'll likely get a lot more answers if you try either the "getting started" or the "GPS in Education" forums. But, I'll try...

1. You're not doing anything wrong - that's just the nature of a GPSr (they don't like lots of tree cover). Try to search out the little clearings in the woods and hang out in them until the GPSr regains a lock on the satellites.

2. um - you'll have to hope for someone else to offer up on this one

3. if you use the GC#, it generally works best (for me at least). It helps prevent the problem of - in my area, there are 30 caches that all start "Beavis and Butthead _____" with only 8 characters, how do you tell them apart? Similarly, I have a series of "Goldilocks and the Keebler Elves" caches (too small, too high, too ___). Again, it takes more than 8 letters to get to the name.

If you use GSAK or EasyGPS to download waypoints into the GPS, you can have them auto download them as waypoint #'s (i.e., GC_ _ _ _).

Hope this helps. Good luck with the kids. <_<

I have hosted events just for GeoKids, and try to have games and activities at all my events that include kids.

I don't try to show them how to operate the GPS beyond selecting a waypoint from a list and finding the compass screen.

I place several stocked ammo boxes around the park where the event is held and enter the coordinates into the GPS(s).

I use drawings and explanation to describe at a VERY simple level how a GPS is a radio reciever, much like any other radio, that can recieve several 'channels' (radio channels are something they can relate to better than the codes sent by the satellite, so they are a useful metaphor) at once, one channel from each of the visible satellites, and that a built in computer (calculator) can tell what time each channel's signal was sent and when it was received..

Kids can understand that signals from far-away satellites take longer to get to the radio than signals from nearer ones, and a simple drawing of where those satellites are and where their signals cross paths (triangulation) shows them how their position is calculated on earth.

With that simple explanation let them select the target cache from the list on the GPS and use the compass and distance measurement to lead them to the cache (make sure it has enough goodies in it that they can al find something!)

Of course, as the age and maturity of the kids goes up, so can the level of detail and technical difficulty of your presentation.

Historically I let them log the cache page onec for each cache found, so they would have a record, but that's been cut off lately - you might consider finding a couple you hid just for the event and taking them to a close-by real (listed) cache at the end so they can log a smilie.

I usually let the FTF keep the cache they found, and give each kid a cache to take home and hide for their first cache placement.

Have fun!

Ed

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

The type of antennae that your GPS uses does have an effect on obtaining coordinates under cover. The Legend does not support the addition of an external antennae which is the best way to obtain signal under cover, an external antennae makes a big difference. The GPS Map60 uses a quad helix antennae and has an antennae port for the addition of an external antennae, the Legend uses a patch antennae so the only thing you can do is make sure your Legend is flat (horizontal).

GPS use in education is often integrated with classes in aerial photo interpretation and map reading. The geocaching.kml and Google Earth make an excellent tool that can be used to plot routes, view potential hiking areas and get an idea of the terrain beforehand, the use of topo maps can also add another facet to a cache planning trip. The best thing you can do beforehand is to ensure that you are going to be visiting caches which offer either an excellent location, a good hiding spot or a cool cache container. If you are taking young kids caching then you really want to avoid the "just another unremarkable cache" type of journey.

The Legend can connect to the computer so the information is uploaded in the format used by the uploading program, GSAK and Easy GPS will send different information to the GPS. I prefer the name rather than the GC number. I often read cache pages sitting at home and when I am in the field the name can often trigger memories or tidbits of info, this won't happen with the GC number. In many caces the name is part of the cache hunt, hints say "look at the cache name" never "look at the GC code". Most software will let you manipulate the upload parameters so you can get what you want on your GPS screen.

It sounds like a great thing to do and I wish you the best of luck in your camp.

Here are as few other things you might want to do in a GPS camp.

Discuss and use the datum feature of the GPS. Understanding the reference geoid and the differing datums is often required. Try hiding a cache with NAD27 coordinates and then resetting the GPS to use NAD27 instead of WGS84 when seeking.

Use the projection feature of the GPS, projecting and then finding a waypoint is often used in cache hunts, we have a series of caches in our province that depend on projecting a waypoint.

Make a geocache and take the time to do it well. Make a cool multi stage cache with a camoed stage. Paint and camoflage an ammo can, select or make a hiding spot, make a laminated cache note, make Finder's Cards, add swag and a log book and then list the cache on on geocaching.com. This can be a lot of fun and can get very involved.

Have fun hsecryan and good luck.

The type of antennae that your GPS uses does have an effect on obtaining coordinates under cover. The Legend does not support the addition of an external antennae which is the best way to obtain signal under cover, an external antennae makes a big difference. The GPS Map60 uses a quad helix antennae and has an antennae port for the addition of an external antennae, the Legend uses a patch antennae so the only thing you can do is make sure your Legend is flat (horizontal).

Just wanted to clarify. We actually own an external antenna for our Etrex Legend. It simply does not support an external antenna that plugs in. An amplifying antenna works well with the Legend - you have the receiver for the external antenna (magnetic, and works well on a hat), a cable, and an end piece that sends an amplified signal to the GPSr. One rubber band to hold it in place, and voila! the Etrex and Legend both love the external like this. (sorry - no memory of where hubby found the one we have).

I must agree with Tharagleb -- the Legend is not worthless in the woods (it's just a bit finicky). We found our first 250 caches with just a Legend, and many of them were in the woods. The suggestion to keep it flat is critical - where the little "globe" is painted on is the only receiving surface -- it must face the sky or you'll have crappy signal reception.

I agree with the advice that Tharagleb and buffums gave about the Lengend, and I would add:

Remind the kiddos not to "lean over" the unit while it is getting a signal. Their heads will block the signal.

We also found hundreds of caches in the woods with an Legend, and keep our two Legends for guests to use while caching with us. Many of them have liked them so well, they chose to purches one for themselves.

I am an Earth & Space teacher. I would suggest that you be sure they understand about longitude and latitude before they learn about how the satellites show position (so they will understand what those numbers on the gps mean). Have them figure out the longitude and latitude where the camp is located perhaps.

And I would START with a quick demo on how to use the "go to" feature to find a marked spot before having them look for caches. Use chalk or something to mark a big X in the grass, or on a sidewalk. Mark that spot as waypoint #1 in the Legend. Take the kids outside, have them practice turning on the gps, finding the waypoint they want to look for and navigating to the big X. Since they can SEE where they are supposed to end up, they can learn how to make sure that happens without getting frustrated.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU! Those who teach, reach, as in the next generation, and every pursuit/organization/practice is always one generation away from extinction. Thank you for carrying our passion, and passing the torch. I hope you have a fun, rewarding experience; the kids too. :blink: