Longest Unfound Cache

Anyone know what the record is for the longest unfound cache? I have had one hidden one month with no one finding it. I don't mean a cache that was left at a research area or on top of a mountain peak that requires expert climbers to find it. I mean difficult puzzle and easy terrain.

Maybe this topic has been here in the past, but, it would be cool to update a list of the top 20 unfound caches over 3 months..

Mike

Brawny Bear

there's one a few miles from my home that was hidden when I started caching that is still unfound, the guy who placed it doesn't give a crap about this sport and has an obvious agenda with the cache but it still got through. Most of the locals ignore his caches now, the guy found 13 caches then switched to hiding crappy impossible multis in the woods. I've been tempted for a while to just log an SBA on the one that's unfound because there's only one other unfound cache within 100 miles of my home, and the reason for that one being unfound is more legitamite, it's a scuba cache, it's been up just a little longer than the one close to home.

Kougarok has only a 2-star terrain rating and can be driven to outside of Nome, Alaska. It was placed June 23, 2001, making it Alaska's oldest unfound cache. Problem is, one can't drive to Nome, but must fly in the summer or run an Iditarod dog team there in the winter :anicute:. Interestingly, despite not having been found, it's had 11 travel bugs logged in and out of it :P.

If you are asking about caches just off a road system in a populated area, then Alaska's Little bear has gone unfound since October 5, 2005. It's a puzzle multicache with a series of micros in the woods without provided coordinates.

Anyone know what the record is for the longest unfound cache? I have had one hidden one month with no one finding it. I don't mean a cache that was left at a research area or on top of a mountain peak that requires expert climbers to find it. I mean difficult puzzle and easy terrain.

Maybe this topic has been here in the past, but, it would be cool to update a list of the top 20 unfound caches over 3 months..

Mike

Brawny Bear

I feel that you have asked a great question! I would love to see a list of the top 50 or 100 as-yet-unfound caches which have been listed for over 3 months.

All Saints (GCACF)

Hidden 05/26/2001

This cache is located on a remote island near the harbor of Ensenada, Mexico.

It's going on 5 years and 20 days, however, I had the delight of being one of the first to ever go and look for this cache and DNF it. Unfortunately the cache disappeared and no longer exists.

PassingWind

Edited by PassingWind

All Saints (GCACF)

Hidden 05/26/2001

This cache is located on a remote island near the harbor of Ensenada, Mexico.

It's going on 5 years and 20 days, however, I had the delight of being one of the first to ever go and look for this cache and DNF it. Unfortunately the cache disappeared and no longer exists.

PassingWind

Well, I hate to be a crank, but since the cache is missing in action, and likely has been for some time, I would posit that it does not really qualify for the statement "...going on 5 years and 20 days (unfound)".... In fact, it should be archived, unless the owner makes a maintenance visit to ensure that all is well or to replace the cache.

Bump. I usually dislike bumping topics, but in this case, I feel that this is a very interesting topic, and I am hoping that more folks will contribute more tales of long-unfound-but-still-active caches! Due to site usage patterns, this forum thread would likely have seen far more activity if it had been posted in the "General Topics" section, and I may someday start a similar thread there someday myself, if this one does not get much traffic/postings. Ultimately, I would like someday to compose a bookmark list of the top 50 or 100 long-unfound-but-still-active caches.

The oldest unfound cache in Wyoming, GCGFRN, is nearly 3 years old. However, it is only a virtual cache as it is located in a remote area of Yellowstone NP - thereby not allowed to have a physical cache. However, there is still a logbook at the cache location - it is maintained by the park rangers. There have been a few attempts to get to this VC, but so far no one has succeeded.

Well, I have created a public shared bookmark list entitled Long-Unfound or Never-Found Active Caches, which will hopefully eventualy be filled with the top 100 or 200 long-unfound (but still active) caches, and have already included each cache which has been listed in this thread. The description of the bookmark list reads as follows:

This bookmark list, over time, will hopefully become a fairly comprehensive list of quality geocaches which -- although still active and listed -- have either never been found, or have remained unfound (since previous finder) for a very long time. The long-unfound or never-found status may be due to high terrain rating, high difficulty (i.e., extremely difficult puzzle), or just to placement in a largely-inaccessible, rarely-traveled location. While the list may include a few older virtuals, it will only include highly exceptional and "worthwhile" virtuals. This list will -- for the most part -- NOT include caches which are likely "missing in action" and which rightfully should have been archived or disabled a long time ago. The list will also deliberately exclude caches which are long-unfound but where there is evidence that the cache remains unfound because it is very lame.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Aside from not having the needed hiking, climbing, wilderness skills to tackle one like Last Will and Testament, I would not go after a cache of that difficulty when the owner only has 1 find and 1 hide in almost three years. :blink: That's just my opinion!

My cache called Goldfish is a challenging puzzle which has remained as Unfound since it was placed in September 2005. I have had numerous emails and there have been several serious challenges but to date it remains Unfound, it is now one of the older Unfound caches in the province of Alberta.

As far as puzzles go, the puzzles in Goldfish are difficult but can be solved, I even created and placed 3 Solve Cards which explain the puzzles and provide answers. Geocachers holding those Solve Cards do not need to solve any Puzzles, they need only find the two microcaches that protect the final.

I now have reason to believe that one of these micros has fallen to searchers.

The micro hides are not NIAH hides, I would like to think that the logs on Goldfish will bear me out on that, we will see, or maybe we won't. :huh:

Adding a new entry to this list - the closest cache to our house that we have yet to find. King B Pin Cache is only a few miles out of town, but is up on a cliffside of Bessemer Mountain overlooking the North Platte River. On top of that, the only public access is from the river, so one must float down a ways, then hike up a steep, loose rock, trailless climb to bag the cache - then return to the boat and float down to the next accessable take out point a couple miles down stream. With such a cache being in a relatively remote part of the US, it has rallied up one find in nearly 2 years of existance.

Like I mentioned - it is the closest cache to our house we have yet to find. It is very high on our to do list as a result.

Edited by KKTH3

there's one a few miles from my home that was hidden when I started caching that is still unfound, the guy who placed it doesn't give a crap about this sport and has an obvious agenda with the cache but it still got through. Most of the locals ignore his caches now, the guy found 13 caches then switched to hiding crappy impossible multis in the woods. I've been tempted for a while to just log an SBA on the one that's unfound because there's only one other unfound cache within 100 miles of my home, and the reason for that one being unfound is more legitamite, it's a scuba cache, it's been up just a little longer than the one close to home.

Just because you cannot find the cache (or refuse too), is not a legitimate reason to log an SBA on it.

Hi,

In Portugal we have a cache that was placed 4 years ago and never found. It´s Rainbow Hydrothermal Vents (GCG822 ). It an underwater cache and i believe that it´s gone now.

If we are talking of "normal" caches, then we have thiks one: Triangle of History - GCK7YP that was placed almost 2 years (715 days) ago and never found.

looks like it was actually hidden 7/8/2005 and published dec 05

GCADCB Upright Soup 8/6/2002, link , Darwin Lake, elev. 11678, High Sierras. Found a week short of 5 years, by Ranboze and bthomas. About ~13000 foot pass to get there, 17 mile round trip. Unfortunately, it's about a mile into Kings Cyn National Park, and I was asked to take it out. I'm pretty bummed about that. Wish the waypoint could remain as a virt or something. Amazed and pleased, though, to find the container after 5 seasons of snowpack.

7189cae6-00b4-4e40-bed9-d4252957be4a.jpg

Ranboze, ~13000 elevation, Sierras. Mt Darwin in bkgd.

Caribou View was placed July 2003 in California. Not even an attempt, yet...

Ed

That sounds like a long way to go for a tupperware container! Definitely don't leave any TBs there. It'll never be heard from again!

After 4 years the Caribou cache has now been found this week. The tupperware survived! Sounds like a great hike!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...37-97d3e485081c