A Perfect Birthday Party For A Geocacher

During the past few years we've introduced a few people to geocaching. The latest aquisition has already ordered his GPS and in anxiously waiting for it to begin doing things on his own (altough he prefers to do it with us, for the company, for the fun and for the utterly insane adventures we get into).

His wife is preparing him a surprise birthday party and she wanted to do something related to geocaching. She suggested something like setting up a event cache where his friends would be waiting for him, hiding his gifts out there in the woods and hand him the coordinates (I've heard about this one before, a gift buried in someone's backyard). I've also heard of a guy which had his (now) wife find a cache where he previously stashed an engagement ring for her.

Any ideas about what can we do?

I'd be afraid to hide gifts of value in the woods, cuz where i live, they'd be gone! You could rent a space or set up a party somewhere, and give him coordinates to find the location of the party. You could set up some small caches in the area (similar to an event cache). Here is an example of what i've wanted to do, but don't have the participation. Make some teams, then buy cheap puzzles, one for each team. Sort the pieces and hide all the identical pieces together, so the teams have to go to all the coordinates to assemble their puzzle. (You could even use a picture of the birthday boy on his favorite cache, and then just copy it and cut it up into puzzle pieces.) I think this would work best if you could find a kiddie puzzle with like 5 pieces or so.

I just helped a friend set up an anniversary gift for her husband who is a geocacher. She set up a multi that took him to places of signficance in their relationship, each one had a small present and coords for the next stage. Eventually he ended up back at his own home where the real prize was.

Edited by SG-MIN

get a bunch of coolers, fill em with...er, soda,...and make it a beverage-focused multi-stage. the um, soda, in each cooler could be from a different country, and the final could be in somebodies backyard, where the steaks are already grilling. just get one person to drive a van full of (ahem) well-soda-ed Geo-cachers if walking becomes difficult. you could even put a little gift at each stage, and the clue to the next one.

hmmm, I know what I want for my next birthday! <_<

I did a 5 stop multi for my kids just before Christmas vacation last year. They were given the coords for the first stop, where the next coords and a number were on the 'log'. At each of the stops (including 2 friends' back yards) they collected the numbers and at the last stop they had to input the numbers into a push-button outdoor keysafe (Home Depot, I think). Inside the keysafe was the key to their 'new' car that Dad was sitting in a few parking places away. The look on their faces was priceless!