60cx Usb Power & Lithium Batterys

hogrod

Trying to use new lithium batteries with the 2.71beta firmware, after powering it on the screen faded out(unit turned off). I couldn't get the unit to stay on at all, until I powered it on with usb power connected. after that I could unplug the USB and power the unit on and off with no issues.

yesterday I upgraded to the 2.90 firmware, and decided to try the lithium batterys again. I found some really weird behaviour, with new lithiums installed but powering the unit with USB.

If I went into the menu lets say to the trip computer, and pressed the directional button up where I make it beep, the unit would power off. sometimes It would take a couple beeps. the directional pad also turned the unit off on hwy page, routes, stopwatch, sunmoon, huntfish.(probably more too)

basicly powering the unit via USB with lithiums installed, any time I could get the menu beep the unit would fade out/power off. powering the unit with USB and using rechargables/alkaline no problems at all with tones.

going into setup/tone I decided to see if only certain tones turned the unit off. I didn't try all the tones but here is list of what I tried.

turns off

tone 1

tone 6

tone 10

tone 9

works fine

tone 7

tone 8

has anyone else noticed that the tones are causing the lithium battery issues? also wouldn't the USB power override the batterys in the unit so this shouldn't happen anyway?

also note, I had the key beep turned off, with the default key beep on the unit powers off as soon as you try pressing anything.

The 60 CSx cannot handle the 1.7 V that lithiums put out. You can put them in some other device, such as a flashlight, for a little while till the voltage gets reduced to at least 1.5 V and they'll work fine.

also note, I had the key beep turned off, with the default key beep on the unit powers off as soon as you try pressing anything.

The 60 CSx cannot handle the 1.7 V that lithiums put out. You can put them in some other device, such as a flashlight, for a little while till the voltage gets reduced to at least 1.5 V and they'll work fine.

The batterys I am using I used in a digital camera, took at least 50shots with the flash.... I will have to check the voltage but I'm sure it is lower than when they were new.

my real questions were....

has anyone else noticed that the tones are causing the lithium battery issues? also wouldn't the USB power override the batterys in the unit so this shouldn't happen anyway?

Edited by hogrod

I have a 76CSx and I have used the Lithium batteries from day one. I've had this unit for about 4-5 months now. I frequently use the GPSr USB attached and also DC powered in the car. I have never experienced a power related problem, even with brand new Energizer Blue Lithium batteries. Not sure why, but my unit seems to like them as well as I do. :-)

Edited by bgarland

I had the Map60C and I now got the Map60Cx, and the Power circuit was more robust in the older Map60C, but the one thing it did not have was the ability to get power via the USB port, and my new Map60Cx does get power via the USB, and serial ports. The Map60Cx is so much more complicated, and has trouble with lithiums, but never had trouble with lithiums in my old Map60C. I believe the problem is in the complicated power circuit, and not the firmware, but it could be both, meaning, that if the lithium batteries were too high a voltage, the GPS should flash the message, that the batteries are too high a voltage, then shut off.