Cachers Who Don't Sign The Log, Do We Let Them Keep Their Finds Or

Misha

The particular person not signing logbooks because "his handwriting is messy" and "his online log is doing fine anyways" is looking at the situation from a very egocentric point of view.

You don't sign logbooks because *you* need to see where you've been. You sign logbooks to tell the hider that you've been there. It wasn't even for "permission" before so much as it was to diary the life and times of the cache. If you don't sign the book, there's no reasonable way to see what goes on at a cache and if *nobody* signed the books then there'd be little point in putting a cache out in the first place. Just mark a waypoint and tell people to go stand there for a few seconds (ala Waymarking).

If he didn't write in your logbook, then I'd feel justified in deleting his online log. The online log is secondary and far less important in the whole scheme of things than the written logbook entry (even if it's little more than a big black X on the page).

After reading all of this I feel really bad because last week I was out geocaching at 2:00 in the morning. Somewhere along the way I lost my pen and was not able to sign 3 different micros that didn’t contain a pencil. I did claim them as a find and documented why I didn’t sign it. I took a picture of each log with my camera phone and told the owner in the log I had a picture of the log for verification if they wanted to see it for verification. I didn’t post it with the online log because it contained clues to the final cache. Now, after reading this I guess I didn’t find them at all. :)

After reading all of this I feel really bad because last week I was out geocaching at 2:00 in the morning. Somewhere along the way I lost my pen and was not able to sign 3 different micros that didn’t contain a pencil. I did claim them as a find and documented why I didn’t sign it. I took a picture of each log with my camera phone and told the owner in the log I had a picture of the log for verification if they wanted to see it for verification. I didn’t post it with the online log because it contained clues to the final cache. Now, after reading this I guess I didn’t find them at all. :)

It's ok, you just have a good reason to go back out and complete your finds now!

You had a valid reason for not signing the logs. You also are prepared to present alternate proof if the cache owner demands it. I would consider your finds to be good.

The cacher that the OP is talking about apparently simply refused to sign the logbook because he didn't like the cache or the cache owner. His logs should be deleted.