Question Re An Event

I saw this event listed. I always thought event caches had to be to geocaching related. I am a ham radio operator myself, but I was told once that event like this could not be approved

Radio check

This event also happens to fall on the same day as the nationwide ham radio event called field day

Hmmmm

Edited by JohnnyVegas

There is no longer any requirement that an event must be geocaching related -- hasn't been for about a year and a half or so. An event only needs to be organized BY geocachers and FOR geocachers. Thus, a ham radio event for geocachers on a Wednesday is fine. But a ham radio "Field Day" on the official ham radio field day weekend is not a geocaching event, it is a ham radio event. See the difference?

There is no longer any requirement that an event must be geocaching related -- hasn't been for about a year and a half or so. An event only needs to be organized BY geocachers and FOR geocachers. Thus, a ham radio event for geocachers on a Wednesday is fine. But a ham radio "Field Day" on the official ham radio field day weekend is not a geocaching event, it is a ham radio event. See the difference?

So, the following email that I received from my local reviewer on April 11, 2006, that went like this:

Me: > Last June I did a demonstration on Geocaching for the San Francisco Section of the American Radio Relay League Convention... at the number of Amateur Radio operators (Hams) that turned out to be Geocachers as well. A common issue that came up was, "Why not make this an Event?"

Reviewer: > Please read the Cache Listing Guidelines, particularly the section titled "Event Caches" http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx:

"While a music concert, a garage sale, a ham radio field day or town’s fireworks display might be of interest to a large percentage of geocachers, such events are not suitable for submission as event caches because the organizers and the primary attendees are not geocachers."

- is CRAP?!? :)

When I quoted the following: "For geocaching events that involve several components, such as a day-long group cache hunt that also involves a seminar and dinner, only a single event cache covering all components should be submitted." - I was ignored.

The Convention is over now, and we had such a puny turn out, due to lack of advertising (no official event listed), this subject SUCKS to me. I feel cheated.

Does this also mean that if we hold an event, we cannot advertise it over the radio or in newspapers? I mean, then we'd be trying to gain the attention of non-Geocachers in an effort to get them interested, so it wouldn't be "because the organizers and the primary attendees are not geocachers".

This still sucks. I still feel cheated. I'm sure the Convention organizers who were hoping to attract non-Ham operators and perhaps get them interested in another tech-geek hobby, feel cheated, too. :D

Hi,

It's great to see the reviewers giving consistent answers. It sounds like you had a ham radio event. The ARRL is not a geocaching organization. We don't piggyback geocaching events onto events that are sponsored by non-geocaching groups. In contrast, the example in the OP is not being organized by a ham radio group, but rather by some geocachers who are also ham radio enthusiasts. They are inviting their fellow geocachers to learn more about this other interesting activity.

Thank you for your work in introducing geocaching to members of the ham radio community!