Another Newbie Question

fireman121

I have another question about bench marking; I just want to make sure that I am doing it right.

When you see a listing as a water tower or TV mast, does that mean that the benchmark is that item listed or is there a survey disk under it? Just want to make sure that I take the correct picture of it.

You MAY also see a portion of the NGS Datasheet that looks like this:

DX5000_MARKER: Z = SEE DESCRIPTION

DX5000_SETTING: 0 = UNSPECIFIED SETTING

In this example, it will be specified in the description, although it in this example it is also a disc. (I just grabbed one at random). Here is one that is specified as a disc (Marker Type DD).

DX5005_MARKER: DD = SURVEY DISK

DX5005_SETTING: 0 = UNSPECIFIED SETTING

Older Datasheets may not have that section. There is a list somewhere of all the marker types, but I don't have it handy. Someone will post a link to it, probably. HERE is more info on how to decode an NGS datasheet. Also, in the "HISTORY" section of the Datasheet, Landmarks (i.e. Intersection Stations) will normally say 'FIRST OBSERVERED' rather than 'MONUMENTED'. (But I have seen at least one that didn't.....).