Newbee Questions

golfstix

I've just gotten a "brand new" Magellan Meridian Color GPS (although Magellan already has it listed as "obsolete" on their web site) and I have a few general questions before I head out to find my first cache.

1. My unit does not appear to have the ability to set a GoTo using coordinates. I either have to first find the location on the internal map using the cursor or input a locale or street address. Any way to fix this?

2. I am using the MapSend Direct Route maps which work fine, but wonder if other map programs are compatible with my unit?

3. I've noticed a variance of about 5% when comparing the GPS speedometer and that of my vehicle. Can I assume that the GPS is more accurate?

4. Are the distances to a GoTo or cursor location "as the crow flies" or based on actual road travel?

My unit came with a data cable with a serial hookup, but my PC is newer and does not have a serial port. I have been getting along by updating the sd card outside of the unit, but I currently won't be able to make any programming adjustments. I'd appreciate any help or comments.

Matt

Matt,

I have the same model and it definitely DOES have the GOTO function. I will have to grab it from my car and play with it for a second, but it's EASY to set up.

If I recall, you enter the coordinates you want which then create a waypoint. THEN you press the GOTO button on the bottom, and choose Waypoint, then it should show you a solid line to the coordinates.

**You have to set your unit up to DISPLAY the route.

Jeff

Edited by alifeofplay

I've just gotten a "brand new" Magellan Meridian Color GPS (although Magellan already has it listed as "obsolete" on their web site) and I have a few general questions before I head out to find my first cache.

1. My unit does not appear to have the ability to set a GoTo using coordinates. I either have to first find the location on the internal map using the cursor or input a locale or street address. Any way to fix this?

2. I am using the MapSend Direct Route maps which work fine, but wonder if other map programs are compatible with my unit?

3. I've noticed a variance of about 5% when comparing the GPS speedometer and that of my vehicle. Can I assume that the GPS is more accurate?

4. Are the distances to a GoTo or cursor location "as the crow flies" or based on actual road travel?

My unit came with a data cable with a serial hookup, but my PC is newer and does not have a serial port. I have been getting along by updating the sd card outside of the unit, but I currently won't be able to make any programming adjustments. I'd appreciate any help or comments.

Matt

1. Press and hold the GOTO button. It might ask you if you want to create a new goto, do yes. Then you will see a screen with something like this WPT0001 in the upper right corner. You can enter your own wpt name or leave it as is. Enter down to the coords window and use the up-down/left-right arrow thingy to input your desired coords. Save it when done then select the GOTO and use the WPT name you just created.

2. Yes you can get their TOPO maps as well as MAPSEND Streets maybe others but you shouldn't need them anyway. BTW, the streets and trips is the non-routing version of direct route. keep what you have.

3. In my experience the GPS is equal to or more accurate than the speedo.

4. As the crow flies aka straignt line.

Get a serial to USB converter off eBay for about $12.00 make sure that it is the version with includes software. This is primarily used for waypoint uploads from GSAK or EasyGPS to the GPSr. For map segments to the SD card, don't even try it using the GPSr, it will take FOREVER. Use an SD card r/w device. They can be had for less than $20.00 and will read/write about 56 different flash card types. Really 5 or 6 but then there aren't any more popular types than that anyway.

Download and print the .pdf user guide from the magellan www site.

Have fun! Email me thru my profile if you want further assistance. :huh:B):unsure:

Edited by Team Cotati

Thanks to all who replied. I tried the hold down on GoTo as you suggested and it worked like a charm!!! Thanks a bunch. This will certainly make geocaching a whole lot easier and more fun. I'll also look into getting a USB/Serial Converter. I have an s/d card reader built into my pc so no problem with maps but may need to get into the unit itself for updates etc. Just noticed something while messing with the goto function. The distance to the objective is shorter when simply viewing a waypoint than when viewing it as a route. I am assuming that one distance is a straight line while the other is the road distance. Thank you again so much!

Matt

Thanks to all who replied. I tried the hold down on GoTo as you suggested and it worked like a charm!!! Thanks a bunch. This will certainly make geocaching a whole lot easier and more fun. I'll also look into getting a USB/Serial Converter. I have an s/d card reader built into my pc so no problem with maps but may need to get into the unit itself for updates etc. Just noticed something while messing with the goto function. The distance to the objective is shorter when simply viewing a waypoint than when viewing it as a route. I am assuming that one distance is a straight line while the other is the road distance. Thank you again so much!

Matt

Nope. the distance is always straight line in the Meridian. If your viewing a waypoint, you might not be "dead-on" it, as opposed to a goto, which is.

Matt

Nope. the distance is always straight line in the Meridian. If your viewing a waypoint, you might not be "dead-on" it, as opposed to a goto, which is.

you're. :D<_<:o

Matt

you're. :D<_<:o

OK, so I cant speel :angry:

Matt

you're. :angry::angry:<_<

OK, so I cant speel :angry:

There is a distinct difference between spelling and usage...........dude. :o:D:angry: