Help! Inputting Waypoints Into Tom Tom

HazelS

Hello

I've now got my tom tom all sorted... nice!! I'm loving caching with it, but when I want to input coords from say working out a puzzle cache, I know I have to have some sort of other prog. to work them out and download it or something...

I know it exists but I can't find the thread on here bout it, and I want to go off doing some more puzzles!!!!

Can anyone help?

H

Use the option in GSAK to correct the co-ordinates for the cache and then export the caches you want to your TomTom :unsure:

Hello

I've now got my tom tom all sorted... nice!! I'm loving caching with it, but when I want to input coords from say working out a puzzle cache, I know I have to have some sort of other prog. to work them out and download it or something...

I know it exists but I can't find the thread on here bout it, and I want to go off doing some more puzzles!!!!

Can anyone help?

H

Use the option in GSAK to correct the co-ordinates for the cache and then export the caches you want to your TomTom :huh:

Hello

Can anyone help?

H

Never having used TomTom, I don't know if you can download waypoint from a PDA but if you can and you use CacheMate, you can edit the cache co-ordinate on the 'Info' page and download from that...... maybe :unsure:

Edited by Pharisee

The Bolas Heathens are quite correct and GSAK is an excellent way to get POIs into TomTom. As well as modifying coordinates you can also create new waypoints which could be useful if you had more than one possible answer to a puzzle. Personally I load directly from GSAK into my TomTom (One) via a USB cable and it is recognised as a separate drive so I only have to hit one icon to get whatever I have sorted out in GSAK into TomTom and similarily with the GPSr.

I do already use GASK to import waypoints, but was thinking that there IS a prog that you can have there on Tom Tom ready to key in coords that will then put into a language Tom Tom uses... so when you're out in the field and you get the coords you're looking for.. say as prt of a multi,. you can input them nd get there (hopefully!)

I know it exists as when I was part of Hazel & Phill, we had it on the IPAQ!

I'll be in geochat as usual later on and grill everyone there too!

Edited by HazelS

maybe you were thinking about OS GPS Convertor?

You can enter the co-ords and convert them to a POI. Ony ldownside is that you can only have one POI at a time.

HTH

Yes, OSGPS Converter only creates one POI - but you can then create another POI in the category of your choice (or indeed a favourite) using the OSGPS generated POI as the POI (or favourite).

Hi

This site has some TomTom GO add-ons including a lat/long input one:

http://www.automated.it/ttg-apps.html

Note that I've never owned a GO and have never used this site's software.

My OS GPS Convertor utility for Pocket PC has been mentioned above. The reason that it only creates a single POI is because I want to use it while TomTom is running, and TomTom doesn't like it much (putting it politely) if I keep adding more POIs to the same file while it is still running. Provided that I keep to the one POI then TomTom is happy - the fact that this one POI jumps around the map like a mad thing doesn't seem to bother it at all. If you do want to set up multiple waypoints, you can of course use my utility to generate an Itinerary file with them all in instead.

Of course version 6 of the TomTom software (not yet out for Pocket PC) is said to have input of lat/long positions back in as a feature again, so all our problems may be solved soon anyway.

It looks like it - I'm just waiting for Mrs BH to get home so I can get my TomTom Go out of my car and try it out. Hope it does do this as it sounds like we are going to need this facility for a certain new multi-cache in north Cheshire :laughing:

Hi Barry

So... if I donwload the TomTom GO add-on - the lat/long input one I should be able to input coords??

It looks like it - I'm just waiting for Mrs BH to get home so I can get my TomTom Go out of my car and try it out. Hope it does do this as it sounds like we are going to need this facility for a certain new multi-cache in north Cheshire :laughing:

Hi Barry

So... if I donwload the TomTom GO add-on - the lat/long input one I should be able to input coords??

Heh heh...

it certainly does doesn't it!!!

Tell Mrs BH to hurry up and get home!!!

I've just installed it and had a go. I can see the new icon in my main menu on the TomTom and when I press it I get a screen asking for lat and long, but one of the buttons is greyed out and not working. I did manage to get into a lat entry screen but the number buttons on the screen refused to work.

I've removed it from my TomTom for now as it sounds like they need to put some more work into making the program more stable yet :laughing:

Tell Mrs BH to hurry up and get home!!!

I just downloaded the lat/lon converter program http://www.automated.it/ttg-apps.html and connected my TT Go.

Noted it says this only works with v5.202.

I use 5.420 - there is no SdkRegistry folder!

Oh well, back to streetmap/convert to postcode/manual input...

:laughing:

Jon

er... rewind....

Streetmap...convert to postcode???????

Did I miss a very useful tip??????

tell me more!!

Just tried the Lat/Long input app and it doesn't seem to work !!!

Allows me to input co-ords, but when you tell it to navigate it won't.

But then it is a beta, so maybe there's a trick to getting it to work !!

Just to add that it isn't a means of entering POIs etc... it only allows a single entry "navigate to", so each set of co-ords would have to be entered in sequence while on a specific journey.

er... rewind....

Streetmap...convert to postcode???????

Did I miss a very useful tip??????

tell me more!!

Not sure if useful really. But here's how I do it....

1. Get lat/long parking coords from cache page

2. Input lat/long into Streetmap

3. Convert to postcode option in streeetmap

4. Input postcode to TT Go

5. 'Fine tune' in TT to required parking coord as per streetmap map

6. Save

If doing an expedition of say 15 caches or so, this can take a looooong time and can almost flatten your TT battery! :laughing:

Any better ways? Someone please tell

:laughing:

Jon

How do you do this stage (I've not seen options to do this on my TT Go)?

After inputting postcode :-

1. Route

2. Browse map of route

3. Navigate to chequered flag using touch screen and zoom in slider

4. Select parking spot to same as indicated in streetmap map

5. Done

6. Done

7. Add favourite

8. Recent destination

9. Select last waypoint

10. Save

11. Have a well deserved beer

Well I did say it is long winded!

I understand the later TT models have a direct lat/long input facility, which is good really - can't be many people who would use this particular function!

Jon

Doh - obvious really - POI Converter - can't remember where I got it from, but I'm sure Google will track it down :laughing:

Try here.

POI Converter

Download the gpx file for the cache you're interested in.

Load it (open) into POI converter and output (save) as a Tomtom ov2 file.

If there are several additional waypoints in the GPX file it will put them all into TT as part of the single POI, so, for example, you'll get the cache co-ords and the parking co-ords.

If you're going to go for, say 10 caches, you'll end up with 10 new POIs on Tomtom.

You can also use GSAK to create (export) your TT ov2 (just exported a GSAK database of 75 caches - and it created one POI category, with 75 locations).

Copy it to the map file on the TT card and off you go.

You could filter, in GSAK, so that you only export parking co-ords or other co-ords that you manuall enter in GSAK for each cache, so that the co-ords being transfered to TT are actually reachable by car, and not the actual cache location, which TT might try navigating you to a place that it's impossible to approach the cache from.

When the entire caching community use the additional waypoint function to enter parking co-ords, this will become a whole lot quicker and easier ............... :laughing:

Doh - obvious really - POI Converter - can't remember where I got it from, but I'm sure Google will track it down :laughing:

Try here.

POI Converter

If there are several additional waypoints in the GPX file it will put them all into TT as part of the single POI, so, for example, you'll get the cache co-ords and the parking co-ords.

If you're going to go for, say 10 caches, you'll end up with 10 new POIs on Tomtom.

You can also use GSAK to create (export) your TT ov2 (just exported a GSAK database of 75 caches - and it created one POI category, with 75 locations).

You could filter, in GSAK, so that you only export parking co-ords or other co-ords that you manuall enter in GSAK for each cache, so that the co-ords being transfered to TT are actually reachable by car, and not the actual cache location, which TT might try navigating you to a place that it's impossible to approach the cache from.

When the entire caching community use the additional waypoint function to enter parking co-ords, this will become a whole lot quicker and easier ............... :laughing:

You lost me easrly on there Nick :laughing:

Try here.

POI Converter

You lost me easrly on there Nick :laughing:

Doh ............ :unsure:

I just downloaded the lat/lon converter program http://www.automated.it/ttg-apps.html and connected my TT Go.

Noted it says this only works with v5.202.

I use 5.420 - there is no SdkRegistry folder!

Oh well, back to streetmap/convert to postcode/manual input...

<_<

Jon

There never is. You have ot create one if you want to use any SDK applications. I created one for my 5.450 ONE to use custom menues. I have not tried the application you mention yet.

There never is. You have ot create one if you want to use any SDK applications. I created one for my 5.450 ONE to use custom menues. I have not tried the application you mention yet.

I am a bit loathe to try this, considering the statement that it only works with 5.202. The last time I tried something like this I ended up sending the card back to Netherlands to be programmed (credit to TT, it was FOC...)

Jon

I'm not sure if it's connected, but I updated my TT firmware to the latest version before trying the co-ordinate program out yesterday and when the co-ords program did not work, I removed it, leaving my TT as it was but with the new firmware.

Now it won't plan any routes at all - even if I try a route to a place less than a mile away I get an error message saying no route found. I've been on the phone to TomTom support and we tried everything to no avail. I have to return my SD card to them and they will send me a new one.

Luckily part of our business is renting out sat nav units for visitors to the USA so I have a nice brand new TomTom Go 910 to use for the next few days while I wait for the new SD card to arrive :)

Edited by The Bolas Heathens

No problem here, just stuck the SD card back in the card reader and removed the various bits I didn't want / that didn't work / don't need and everything still OK - maybe just lucky ?? :)

Only one I've kept is the Quickam - which still works OK.

But, I only installed them under version 5.202, maybe it's something to do with the later versions.

The warning did say only works with 5.202, although adding Sdkregistry and catapps folders with any version should work.

I have found that making changes to the folder structure seems to work better if it's done in a card reader, rather than via usb to Tomtom, although there should be no difference as it's seen as just another drive.

Hazel, how did you get on with loading POI from GPX files ?? All OK ?? :D

Personally, I would not use any bit of kit on an SD card without copying the entire contents to my hard drive, never mind altering anything without runnign the backup application. I have never run TT from the original card on any of my devices having always transfered the data to a larger SD card from the outset. As with any irreplacable software and data - backup, backup, backup! Remember to also backup your activation codes by registering your device and software on the TT website.

Too true LG - backed up before I started messin and backed up when I'd got to where I thought I wanted to be, then backed up again when I got where am now. :D

Original cards tucked away somewhere so safe, I'll never be able to find them again !! - :D

You need to register on the TT site to get the activation codes anyway, so that back up should be there for every one. :D

Yup, TT comes with too small an SD card to be useful, :) I run 512MB cards with various combinations of Europe maps on them, leaves plenty of room for POIs, apps etc... :)

Totally agree about the backing up comments.

Unfortunately I had a backup but the SD card developed a fault - the TomTom support people had never had this problem before and were baffled to say the least. We tried re-formatting the SD card, restoring backups, restoring fresh software and everytime we got the same error message.

New TomTom arrives tomorrow morning guaranteed before 9am and apparently has the new firmware that allows direct input of co-ordinates :)

Edited by The Bolas Heathens