60csx 2.90 Firmware Bug?

This is a good one!

Last night I updated to ver 2.90 on my 60CSx through the WebUpdater. This morning I turned the unit on in my car and proceeded to work. About 3/4 of the way into my commute, I noticed the accuracy ciricle suddenly turn on and the display only showed the highway with no other roads. I had CN7 and Topo maps loaded on my 512MB card at the time and was using CN7.

When I finally arrived at work, I went to the map setup and there is nothing there except the base map. I tried re-seating the memory card and still no maps. One of the guys here at work has a card reader so I put the card in and it's empty.

This isn't a good sign. I hope it's not the firmware and possibly a bad transflash card but who knows. I'll have to try re-loading the maps when I get home tonight.

I've updated to v.2.90 and all is well. No problems at all. I like the fact you hit hit the power button to get out of the USB mode now.

If there is a bug, then whether or not you have problems may depend on whether or not you are writing a track to the card. The problem could be that the firmware is overwriting the map data on the card. That could explain why the OP only saw the problem sometime after the unit had been operating normally.

I've updated to v.2.90 and all is well. No problems at all. I like the fact you hit hit the power button to get out of the USB mode now.

If there is a bug, then whether or not you have problems may depend on whether or not you are writing a track to the card. The problem could be that the firmware is overwriting the map data on the card. That could explain why the OP only saw the problem sometime after the unit had been operating normally.

nothing like this happened to me when upgrading. I have the tracks set to write to the card. there might be another answer though, if you turned off the unit when it was connected to the pc in usb mass storage mode, and the pc was writing/reading the card that could have erased the card.

also my legendC has some problems with topo maps. sometimes I have to send the maps twice before they show up on the unit. everything looks good then I turn on the legendC and no maps are on there. I send them again and restart it and then there in there.

Well, I have re-formatted the transflash card and reloaded all the maps. So far so good :laughing: I really wonder if somehow the card came lose and shorted out. Probably all these crappy New England roads full of potholes and bumps that shook the GPS to bits LOL...

If that's really the case, then Garmin may have to re-evaluate how they hold the memory card in place.

My 512mb card had come loose, when the GPS bumped into something, and I could see where the card could short out. At least my GPS was OFF when it happened to me, so no loss of data.

Hmmm... now this makes me wonder if this is a possbile design flaw in how the memory card is held into position. If vibration from a car hitting potholes or bumpy roads is enough to jar it loose this could cause problems down the road.

I wonder why they didn't reverse the hinge and card so that it went in the other direction so as to not succumb to gravity <_< Maybe a little tape on the hinge will give enough pressure to hold the card in??

Anyone else run into this problem of the card coming loose?

Just to add to the chorus ... I updated by downloading the self extracting ZIP file (GPSMAP60CSx_290.exe) and then ran the updater from my computer. I have seen posts of people complaining about using the web updater before so it might be possible you had a problem. Go to this URL for the direct download http://www.garmin.com/support/collection.j...ct=010-00422-00

You can also get it here. This bypasses the legal page.

Edited by diadumenianus

My 512mb card had come loose, when the GPS bumped into something, and I could see where the card could short out. At least my GPS was OFF when it happened to me, so no loss of data.

Hmmm... now this makes me wonder if this is a possbile design flaw in how the memory card is held into position. If vibration from a car hitting potholes or bumpy roads is enough to jar it loose this could cause problems down the road.

I wonder why they didn't reverse the hinge and card so that it went in the other direction so as to not succumb to gravity <_< Maybe a little tape on the hinge will give enough pressure to hold the card in??

Anyone else run into this problem of the card coming loose?

After you press the hinged portion down on top of the card make sure you SLIDE it toward the "slotted" end to lock the card in place. I didn't do this the first two times it happened to me and that's how I came to know what the problem looked like and how to stop it happening again. Haven't had it come loose again in my truck or in the wild.