Patch For Military Cachers

<=== See my avatar to the left

I am having this image made into an embroidered patch. Since I got into this sport here in Iraq, and would like to show my appreciation for the folks who have come before, (and those who will follow) I am going to be placing this as a trade item in caches I find. If you aren't in Iraq, but were once upon a time and would like one, email me your address, current unit, etc. and I will stuff one in an envelope for you.

Also: Anyone know a good, cheap place to get geo-coins made? I might look into doing that as well.

Good luck and Godspeed to all the Soldiers, Marines, Sailors and Airmen down here in the Sandbox! Stay safe and keep kicking a**!

I am having this image made into an embroidered patch. Since I got into this sport here in Iraq, and would like to show my appreciation for the folks who have come before, (and those who will follow) I am going to be placing this as a trade item in caches I find. If you aren't in Iraq, but were once upon a time and would like one, email me your address, current unit, etc. and I will stuff one in an envelope for you.

Also: Anyone know a good, cheap place to get geo-coins made? I might look into doing that as well.

Good luck and Godspeed to all the Soldiers, Marines, Sailors and Airmen down here in the Sandbox! Stay safe and keep kicking a**!

Gosh, is there actually anywhere safe to geocache there in Iraq? Kaboom! :drama:

Gosh, is there actually anywhere safe to geocache there in Iraq? Kaboom! :drama:

yeah, but only on the bases. I gotta give credit to guys like JeepDog, Greeny's Ghost, and many more who have hidden the caches that I have found over here. They deserve everyone's thanks for (temporarily) putting our heads in a cooler, saner place. :ninja::ninja::)

I love the patch and would like one myself. I recently returned from there in march with the 3rd ACR. However, I'll have to get back with you about that address.....I'm moving to FT Knox next week.

As far as cheap geocoins go....thats easy. Volunteer for Korea! Try and get stationed at Camp Casey. Right outside the gate there are a handful of places that will make them real cheap....so cheap some units have platoon coins. My LT there paid about $200 dollars for a couple dozen coins. This included the design, a die he could reuse later, and the coins.

I love the patch and would like one myself. I recently returned from there in march with the 3rd ACR. However, I'll have to get back with you about that address.....I'm moving to FT Knox next week.

As far as cheap geocoins go....thats easy. Volunteer for Korea! Try and get stationed at Camp Casey. Right outside the gate there are a handful of places that will make them real cheap....so cheap some units have platoon coins. My LT there paid about $200 dollars for a couple dozen coins. This included the design, a die he could reuse later, and the coins.

I had a section coin (5 people in my section) made while I was at Camp Casey. I had about 75 coins made so 6 years later they probably still have some.

In my current job, I'm trying to get a TDY trip to Korea just for this reason :unsure:

I did a stint in Iraq before I knew about geocaching. There were only 3 caches in country at the time and I wouldn't have been able to get to the them even if I had known. However, I have visited a few of the locations that have since had caches placed. I was at Camp Victory, which I think now has about 15 caches around the lake.

Anyway... I think your patch idea is great, and would love to have one. I'm with the 3-124th Information Operations Training Battalion, VT ARNG. In Iraq I was with the 1st Information Operations Command (FT Belvoir) assigned to CJTF-7 C3-IO.

First of all you folks keep head down out there.

I hung up boots a little too soon for this go round, but I was there 15 years ago, does that count? They should have let us finish this thing back then.

I have a couple of "Ranger" tabs that I wore over there. I would be honored if you accepted one of them for this cache.

Edited by Totem Clan

Folks in Korea should be able to hook you up with cheap coins.

Spent too much time OCONUS - keep your head down and your powder dry.

First of all you folks keep head down out there.

I hung up boots a little too soon for this go round, but I was there 15 years ago, does that count? They should have let us finish this thing back then.

I have a couple of "Ranger" tabs that I wore over there. I would be honored if you accepted one of them for this cache.

PM sent...

I too did my duty there in '91.. opened my eyes to a lot of things, and I heartily agree on wishing it could've been put to rest then. I have a photo of myself standing under a sign showing 300 KM to Baghdad....180 miles...so close. Now the bill is due, and I am too worn out to help this go-round. Good luck and Godspeed troopers. :unsure:

I did a stint in Iraq before I knew about geocaching. There were only 3 caches in country at the time and I wouldn't have been able to get to the them even if I had known. However, I have visited a few of the locations that have since had caches placed. I was at Camp Victory, which I think now has about 15 caches around the lake.

Anyway... I think your patch idea is great, and would love to have one. I'm with the 3-124th Information Operations Training Battalion, VT ARNG. In Iraq I was with the 1st Information Operations Command (FT Belvoir) assigned to CJTF-7 C3-IO.

Ditto to a good deal of that. I was on the ADVON that scouted Camp Victory before we occupied it. Wound up in the CJTF-7 C5 by the time I left. We likely passed each other in that big honkin' dining facility.

Do you still get a little shudder when you see Chicken Kiev? :rolleyes:

I'd buy a patch myself. I was with the 23d fighter group duing the initial occupation of Tallil AB near An Nasiriya (moved forward from Al Jaber Kuwait)--what a crap hole. My most cherised (not) memories included being chased by wild dogs when jogging and digging latrines in 130 degree heat.

Besides Korea, I understand you can get them (coins)made cheap in Turkey as well.

Edited by NotNutts
I did a year in Cuba...

I don't think released GITMO detainees deserve a patch. :rolleyes:

Back to the topic at hand: I tried to go over there when I served as a Marine MP, but only made it as far as Camp Lejeune, NC. I would go for an all-military geopatch, or maybe branch-related. Hmmm...

- Semper Fi

- Pablo Mac

former sapper got out in 2003. checked out your picture but i have 2 questions. when did FORD make a humvee and when did they authorize the "SAPPER" patch to be worn? anyway i really like the patch and good luck.

First, the FORD badge came from my Dad- he thought it would be cool to send me one, and went down to the local dealer to ask how to get one. When the mechanic learned what it was for, he pried the one you see off his own toolbox! :laughing: BTW, the humvee you see is no more. :unsure: I had switched trucks with one of the other squad leaders for a few missions and he hit a mine/IED out by Al Asad. Blew the whole rear end off, taking all their rucksacks with it. :laughing: Luckily nobody was hurt beyond some bruises, and even though the gas tank got shredded, it didn't burn. Even with JP-8, that's kind of weird. :mad: So, before they coded the truck out I pulled the FORD back off.

SAPPER tab was authorized for wear in November 04. LTG Flowers came and spoke at our graduation and promised that before he retired, he would get it pushed through.

and that's ...the rest of the story :laughing:

Ditto to a good deal of that. I was on the ADVON that scouted Camp Victory before we occupied it. Wound up in the CJTF-7 C5 by the time I left. We likely passed each other in that big honkin' dining facility.

Do you still get a little shudder when you see Chicken Kiev? :laughing:

You know... I never got the Chicken Kiev. I was on the night shift and all I ever got was the left over stuff... hot dogs and chicken nuggets. Spent a good deal of time sitting outside feeding the ducks the stale bread the night shift got too. Probably did pass each other in there somewhere though.

I'm trying to think of where C5 was located. Were you all on the main floor? Or in a different building? I was tucked away in a corner to the right of the head table and to the left of C-7. Well... a belated welcome home and here's to hoping we won't be back anytime soon.

I'd buy a patch myself. I was with the 23d fighter group duing the initial occupation of Tallil AB near An Nasiriya (moved forward from Al Jaber Kuwait)--what a crap hole. My most cherised (not) memories included being chased by wild dogs when jogging and digging latrines in 130 degree heat.

Besides Korea, I understand you can get them (coins)made cheap in Turkey as well.

Yeah... latrines in a 130 degree heat... Mmmmmmm, the memories. Luckily I never had to dig one, but I have to say using them in 130 degree heat is pretty bad too :laughing: What's with those darn dogs... I had a few chase me around Camp Victory while out running one night, and I swear they stalked me back to the hooch almost every morning. We had one woman working in the C-2 shop that slept under a table if she didn't get off shift until after dark, she was too afraid of the dogs. Oh the memories :laughing:

Never made it Turkey. An AF friend spent some time there and told me about all the cheap rugs you can get just outside of Incirlik (sp?). Always wanted to go, but never got the chance.

Gosh, is there actually anywhere safe to geocache there in Iraq? Kaboom! <_<

yeah, but only on the bases. I gotta give credit to guys like JeepDog, Greeny's Ghost, and many more who have hidden the caches that I have found over here. They deserve everyone's thanks for (temporarily) putting our heads in a cooler, saner place. :angry::o:D

Guess when an ammo can blends naturally into it's surroundings it doesn't need your average "un-natural pile of rocks" to hide it. Is ammo an acceptable trade item there or are you looking for ammo cans NOT filled with ammo? :angry:

Seriously,

I think your patch is a great idea and a good design as well.

A big thank-you to you and your fellow fighting men and women making the world a safer place. May you all complete the mission and return home safely to your loved ones.

And may Iraq someday be safe, secure and stable enough to support a WalMart Lampost Micro-Cache!

madmike

UPDATE: Here is the pre-production photo of the patch. It's a little blown up, actual diameter is 2". For all y'all that contacted me, it's now in production. As soon as I receive them I'll be mailing them out.

patch0io.jpg

Got it in the mail on Friday! Wow! Beautiful job there! I still wear my desert boonie when out caching, and I think this patch will be sewn on to the back of it. Thanks a million, and check your PMs!

UPDATE: Here is the pre-production photo of the patch. It's a little blown up, actual diameter is 2". For all y'all that contacted me, it's now in production. As soon as I receive them I'll be mailing them out.

<snip>

Got mine a few days ago... hadn't thought about sewing it on my dessert boonie but I like the idea <_<

Have a great one!!!

Got it in the mail on Friday! Wow! Beautiful job there! I still wear my desert boonie when out caching, and I think this patch will be sewn on to the back of it. Thanks a million, and check your PMs!

So, at least I'm not the only one wearing what my daughter calls my "Dork Hat" <_<

Edited by Jhwk

Smart Sapper

Nice patch. Do me a favor visit http://www.militarycache.org. They will be very interested. (Iraqi freedom vet '03)

Keep your head down and jacket on - I'll have a cold one waiting for you when you get back on our soil

Thanks for posting that link!!

My hubby is over there right now (not near you though) and is due home this month. YAY!

Anyway, I'll PM you his info. I just got into caching while he's been gone and he's already hooked, hasn't even been out once yet. He's even already talking about what GPSr he's going to get for himself, and I'm pretty sure he'll be wanting to hit up all the base caches next time he heads over. :shocked:

Thank you for yourservice to our country. I have been out for over 20 years, but have a good friend who has just gotten back from his second (and hopefully last) tour. he is a loadmaster for C-130's. We used to tease him that it must be nice to be above all the action until we realized that he was the guy standing by the open door when they were doing special force insertions and extractions. <_< Talk about pucker factor.

Once again thank you and keep your head down.

Thanks for all the responses! I am grateful to everyone who has contacted me, and especially for those who have started placing patches in caches. Cache on!

No, thanks especially to smart sappers who swing by and place patches in my cache. I (almost) feel guilty with the ease which I obtained one of these wonderful patches. Super patch, by the way - great idea.

Cache on, brother. I had to abort a hunt a little up north since a sniper took a liking to the cache area. Scurvy bastard, didn't he know I had some caching to do, and only one day at that camp? Anyhow, I figured the caching gods were not favoring me that day, so I stopped hunting altogether for the day up there.. perhaps a re-try in a week or so.