What's One To Do About 'muggles?'

Nomenature

Hello Y'all -

So I've been readin some logs and the FAQs and am now clued-in on 'muggles.' Is there some ettiquette that I should be aware of as I venture out into this hobby afresh?

Are we supposed to NOT let anyone see the finding and re-stashing of the cache? What's the code?

Many thanks in advance for sage wisdom and advice!

Your humble tadpole (for now),

Nomenature

It really depends on the situation, if your looking for the quick cheap key holder under a phone booth, use the old making a call, tie the show, or just block the view with your car method.

Also, if your in a park with a lot of people around but not really paying you attention and you find that ammo can, don't grab it up and throw it over your head screaming "I GOT IT I GOT IT"

IMO: Never let a muggle see you finding the cache its bad form to change the cache getting muggled, our rule if their is to many muggles we pass, not worth someone taking it right after we re-hide.

to add: A GPSr looks just like a cell phone to a non-cacher I have had many one way phone calls with my eXploriest......

Edited by Team Jsam

My friend and I were out this past Easter weekend, and while seeking a cache in a residential neighborhood, the minute we walked up to the cache, we heard a womans voice call out and ask if we were on an Easter egg hunt. She said she had been seeing people all day go up to the area we were looking in and pick something up, write something open backpacks and trade items, then leave. While my caching friend kept looking I told her about geocaching. She had us all dead to rights, and I figured that someone with her enthusiasm and curiosity, she would probably be interested in becoming a cacher. So I told her all about it, and showed her the GPSr and when we found the cache, we showed her the container and the contents. She said she was going to get on line and look everything up since they already had a GPSr. She had such a great personality, genuine and she even told us how long each person had taken to find the cache, how many never did find it, and how long it was since the last person was there. It was obvious she had just been watching the area (across the street from her home) all day long. I thought it was a good sign that she did not try and get into the cache herself, but preferred to wait and see what the day had in store for her.

Never let a muggle see you cache.

If you get caught, tell the truth though.

If after telling them the truth you feel like the cache isn't safe, take it with you and let the cache owner decide what to do.

I would add one thing to this.

If there are security people, either private or public, you should seriously consider coming clean right off the bat. Otherwise, you may find yourself with your nose in the grass.

We stopped at a cache in California last year, right in front of a Sheriff. As we were sitting in the car reading the listing, he came ambling up, wondering what we were up to.

We told him the whole thing, and told him, in a real vague way, where the cache probably was.

He had heard ig caching, and when I told him that I was gonna go down this 100-foot hill that has no trails, he kindly offered to stick around until I got back up safely.

When I returned, he asked if I had found it (I did), and if I was ok, which I was. I thanked him for keeping an eye out for me, and we alll took off.

FYI, he couldn't see where I was going, due to the very think trees, so he had no clue where the cace was. It has been found numerous times since then.

I have been busted by muggles a time or two. I found it best to just let them know what I am doing. Once, while on business in Knoxville, TN, I went after a cache on a walking trail. A muggle was walking just ahead of me, I think he was concerned about what I was doing and sat down on the bench were the cache was located. I explained to him that I had GPS and was playing the geocaching game and something was hidden on the bench he was on. He helped me find the container. I showed him the contents and offered him to sign. He said he was familier with GPS in that he was a marathon runner and used the Garmin wrist GPS. He was facinated by the sport. I don't know if he begun caching.

A second encounter took place this past weekend at a cache called Scary Loop, 5 miles west of Clarksburg, TN. I had already found it many months ago, but my wife really wanted to see this one and the 'haunted' church. We found the cache and just after replacing it, a truck pulled up. Since it was the same day as a cache event nearby, I figured it to be other cachers. But it was an older man with 3 women (relatives) visiting the cemetery and church. We explained what we were doing. He gave us a tour of the church and told the history of the area. He told us that about a year earlier he met other cachers looking for something and getting information from the two nearby benchmarks. Turns out he is the Sheriff of Carroll County. I showed him my GPS and gave him the printed cache page. Since he was the LEO of the county, I pulled out the cache and he was amazed of the number of entrees in the logbook and where people were from. I continued on with my public relations bid and told him of other caches in his home county. He seemed elated that people care enough about his home area to tell the story of it.

Somewhere I read an article about curious muggles that said to point your GPS at them and yell, "NaNaNaNaNaNaNa!" If that doesn't work, it went on to say that if you point your GPS at them and push the red button, the muggle will disappear. But be careful though, if you push one of the black buttons, you'll disappear! :)

Somewhere I read an article about curious muggles that said to point your GPS at them and yell, "NaNaNaNaNaNaNa!" If that doesn't work, it went on to say that if you point your GPS at them and push the red button, the muggle will disappear. But be careful though, if you push one of the black buttons, you'll disappear! :)

i dont have a red button

Somewhere I read an article about curious muggles

If they ask what I'm looking for, I tell them "I'm not sure", which is usually true. If they persist, I tell them I'm on a scavenger hunt. Most people think they understand what that is and will leave you alone. I rarely try to introduce geocaching to strangers.