Don Valley Cycle Caching Trip

chris-mouse

High Park and the Islands sounds good to me... I'll have to see if I can play with my schedule to attend. Got any dates in mind yet?

TOMTEC

I've got a lot of weekend activities on the go, so I'm going to be very 'date sensitive'. Still, if I can manage to find a day free - I'd be interested in this one.

I get a Friday off every two weeks, so that works just fine for me. Next one is coming up on the 28th.

Conveniently, I'm also off on Friday the 28th... Though I'm likely heading North later in the evening. Anyone else free that day?

TOMTEC

Unfortunately, I have to go to work on that day. My vacation ends this week, then I'm pretty much stuck to weekends only until Christmas. :laughing:

Assuming the above parking is ok with everyone...

From the parking to the ferry dock is about 6.5km. The ferry costs $6.00 round trip and leaves on the half hour. I would suggest taking the ferry to Hanlan’s Point and working our way to Ward’s Island where we can catch another ferry back. The trip around the island will be about 9km. 6.5km back to the parking, makes a total of 22km, not counting deviating from the course for what ever reason.

Any objections to meeting at the parking to start at 9:00 am?

A file of caches along the route can be found at http://ghcaching.servehttp.com/files/Selected.gpx. If there is anything wrong with the caches let me know.

GCNCWH - Seeing Red in High Park (disabled)

GCTFCP - Grenadier Pond (archived)

Edited by Keith Watson

Assuming the above parking is ok with everyone...

From the parking to the ferry dock is about 6.5km. The ferry costs $6.00 round trip and leaves on the half hour. I would suggest taking the ferry to Hanlan’s Point and working our way to Ward’s Island where we can catch another ferry back. The trip around the island will be about 9km. 6.5km back to the parking, makes a total of 22km, not counting deviating from the course for what ever reason.

Any objections to meeting at the parking to start at 9:00 am?

I'll sign up as a tentative yes for this one. I wouldn't mind trading the Leslie Spit for downtown, though. (King West the First: "took a crack pipe, left a hypodermic needle. tftc.")

dave

Hey Chrismouse, I think you're coming down with a nasty case of Cacheflu. You'd better take a day off to get over it!!

KW, I checked out your suggestions and they look excellent.

Tomtec, are you bringing your unicycle out for this one??

dabhid07, I don't think we'll hit too many crack pipes. We considered doing the spit too but this will add a lot of kms to the trip and we're aren't all olympians y'know.

C-A

Edited by Couparangus

I have fri the 28 th off too, I will be heading north to the cottage in the evening. like 7 or 8 pm. I will be available for the day.

What time are we going to meet and do we have a route planned.

Look up at my last post

7pm closing works great for me. I have to leave town at 7 myself. Looking forward to this one.

FRS radios will be on Channel 2 --

Or for the HAM radio operators:

I'll be using VE3PRC 146.880 on the way to the parking co-ordinates, and I should have APRS going too.

Yup I am still off on the 28th . just cjecked tonight. So the parking for where the lions are works for me. I have found all the high park caches and the other around the immediate area. But is is fun to watch others search. I still need the the new ones on the island and others around the leslie spit area. The spit is a fairly flat ride, just long.

So 9 am at parking lot off lakeshore?

I look at the link KW posted. and delete what I have found.

Way to go J-Trex! Yes, I think we should have everything tied and wrapped just in time to hit rush-hour. Add an extra ten minutes for NorPeng riding over sharp object(s) and getting flat tire, and another 10 for scouting out the clothing optional beach for future cache sites. :)

No worries on the tire -- I won't be touching the ground this time!

h200106rocketbk_485_2.jpg

Okay, let's do a body count on attendees:

Coupar Angus

Tomtec

JeffTrex

NorthernPenguin

KeithWatson

Anyone else coming along for the ride? Have we got a committment dabhid07? :laughing:

C-A

Juicepig is considering it, but will need a method of bike transportation.. My car is quite tiny! TOMTEC, you have room for another bike?

Btw, what's the general policy for searching for puzzle caches on these group outings? Do you generally expect everybody to figure it out first, or is it enough for one person to solve it and everybody can use the coords on the day? What would Miss Manners say?

I ask because I know we'll be going past a cache that I've solved but have DNFed twice, and I could probably use an extra few sets of hands and eyes...

dave

I'd be more than happy to give you a hand finding that one. :laughing: Let me know the GC number when we're there, just so I can figure it out once I'm back home. :lol:

Juiceypig, I was gonna ask Tomtec if he wanted to ride down in my van. If he wants to take his that's okay too. I can either meet you guys over there or if Dan doesn't have the van that day you both can meet at my place.

Bump!

Hmm....no interest in the Don Valley caching trip? I no believe!

How about taking another Friday off for this one, or should be do it on a weekend? I'm easy. Not cheap, just easy. Okay, I'm cheap too.

I can't believe more people aren't into this cycling caching experience. You get to rack up your find count in fine style, you're almost guaranteed a find, you'll get some exercise, have a laugh and get to terrorize pedestrians at the same time. It just doesn't get better than this!

Heck, you don't even need a good bike. Here's what I use:

The%20Bike%20is%20Wrecked.jpg

It looked better before a fellow cacher borrowed it for some trick riding around the rim of a vat of hydrochloric acid. :shocked:

Bump!

How about taking another Friday off for this one, or should be do it on a weekend? I'm easy. Not cheap, just easy. Okay, I'm cheap too.

I can't believe more people aren't into this cycling caching experience. You get to rack up your find count in fine style, you're almost guaranteed a find, you'll get some exercise, have a laugh and get to terrorize pedestrians at the same time. It just doesn't get better than this!

I'm up for it, but it's gonna have to be a weekend for me to be along. I seem to have used up my vacation time hunting tupperware.

I'll be busy the next couple of weekends, so that leaves the 19/20th and 26/27th in August. September 9/10th and 23/24th are also open.

I'd better bring a bottle of chain lube for that bike of yours too. With all that rust on it, it's gotta squeak horribly. Then again, is that how you terrorioze the pedestrians?

How about taking another Friday off for this one, or should be do it on a weekend?

Another Friday is good for me. My employer gives me more days off than my missus does. :rolleyes:

I'd rather have the next one further away from downtown, though. I've got even fewer to-do's in the Don Valley than I did on the waterfront/Island last time. Are there any other good areas around? Etobicoke? Burlington?

Heck, you don't even need a good bike. Here's what I use:

The%20Bike%20is%20Wrecked.jpg

It looked better before a fellow cacher borrowed it for some trick riding around the rim of a vat of hydrochloric acid. :laughing:

That's pretty much what mine looked like after having followed TOMTEC around the mountainbike trails in High Park. :laughing:

dave