Come Together Geocoin

DRunners

Here is our new project. Its paragon is the Yin and Yan symbol. It should be two single coins, which together build a circle. Each "half" will be trackable for its own.

The Yin and Yan is a symbol for contrariness and similarities.

Here is the design:

Come_Together_Final.gif

- backside 3D

- 2.5 inches ! (4 mm thickness)

- each coin ! is trackable for its own

- own icon

The idea behind is:

Without Einstein's Theory of Relativity, no GPS would working like it does today. They would have an inaccuracy of more than 100 meters.

Ivan Getting is one of the inventors of the GPS system. Without Mr Getting, we wouldn't have the hobby Geocaching today (and of course also no Geocoins :().

But we are not sure which size we should use. We planned a size of 2.5 inches for the composed circle coin, which is quite big, but seems necessary to make the details visible. The prize would be app. 8€ / singular trackable coin (app. 16€ / set).

It would be nice to hear your ideas and constructive comments.

Edited by DRunners

I like this design, over-all, but I *do* have a couple of thoughts; remember, you did ask! :)

First, I'm not sure that you really need a 2½" coin for all the details. I've seen smaller coins with more details than this that came out just fine.

Second, I would suggest dropping "Come Together" around the lower circle of the obverse. I realize that you are looking for design congruity, but having two loops of text is hard to read. I think you made the point, and very well, in the top circle.

Third: doing the above will allow you to make "Go for the Cache" a little smaller, which will give you more room for the ID number. I have to say this: too many coins are being produced with ID numbers that border on the microscopic. Anything that will help make that ID number a little bigger (not all geocachers are 20-year-olds with perfect eyesight!) is all to the good. Not sure that you need (or want!) the ID twice, either.

On that same topic, I wonder if it mightn't be better to put the satellite on the left side and the ammo box on the right. The hand-shake would be with the circle of peoples, and so better design-linkage. And the satellite takes up less room, which would make the ID number even bigger. That would allow the ammo can to be slightly larger, as well, amking the hand-shake stand out more.

Fourth: the reverse is a great idea, but I really think that you can drop the words "Thank you" from each circle. It's a nice idea, but kind of pointless. Both men are deceased, and the coin, itself, is a big "Thank you!" to them, so it makes the point far better than having those words there. I just think that they are a bit distracting, for the same reason that I made my second point. Doing this, and making the text just a little smaller, would also allow you to make the portraits a little bigger, which would be far nicer :(

Hope these ideas help. I like this coin idea a lot, and will be interested in them whenever you get things finalized.

I like this design, over-all, but I *do* have a couple of thoughts; remember, you did ask! :)

First, I'm not sure that you really need a 2½" coin for all the details. I've seen smaller coins with more details than this that came out just fine.

Second, I would suggest dropping "Come Together" around the lower circle of the obverse. I realize that you are looking for design congruity, but having two loops of text is hard to read. I think you made the point, and very well, in the top circle.

Third: doing the above will allow you to make "Go for the Cache" a little smaller, which will give you more room for the ID number. I have to say this: too many coins are being produced with ID numbers that border on the microscopic. Anything that will help make that ID number a little bigger (not all geocachers are 20-year-olds with perfect eyesight!) is all to the good. Not sure that you need (or want!) the ID twice, either.

On that same topic, I wonder if it mightn't be better to put the satellite on the left side and the ammo box on the right. The hand-shake would be with the circle of peoples, and so better design-linkage. And the satellite takes up less room, which would make the ID number even bigger. That would allow the ammo can to be slightly larger, as well, amking the hand-shake stand out more.

Fourth: the reverse is a great idea, but I really think that you can drop the words "Thank you" from each circle. It's a nice idea, but kind of pointless. Both men are deceased, and the coin, itself, is a big "Thank you!" to them, so it makes the point far better than having those words there. I just think that they are a bit distracting, for the same reason that I made my second point. Doing this, and making the text just a little smaller, would also allow you to make the portraits a little bigger, which would be far nicer :(

Hope these ideas help. I like this coin idea a lot, and will be interested in them whenever you get things finalized.

Ummm... it's supposed to be two separate comma-shaped coins - one tracking number for each part. I concur with the other parts, though.

Ummm... it's supposed to be two separate comma-shaped coins - one tracking number for each part. I concur with the other parts, though.

Yes, you're right. This will be two coins and each of them will be trackable for its own, so we need to have engraved numbers on both of them.

In re-reading the first description, I now see that this is a two-piece idea. For whatever reason (getting old? :drama:), I didn't catch that when I made my initial post. Now that I get this, I get it :ninja: As the proud owners of a couple of sets of four-piece puzzle coins, we have no problem with a two-piece coin that costs $15-20. The puzzle set was rather more than that, and well-worth it.

With that in mind, then, the one thing that we would really like to see is ID numbers that can be read without a magnifying glass. Whatever else you do, we can live with it, as long as we can read that dad-gummed ID #!!

Looking forward to seeing your revisions :ninja:

the one thing that we would really like to see is ID numbers that can be read without a magnifying glass.

Definately have to agree on this point! :ninja:

Since your pic above is approximately double the finished size, I'd are to say that the tracking number is going to be unreadable.

I would double it's size so when it is reduced to actual size the tracking number will end up being about the same size as it is on the oversized proof above.

Also, I'm not too sure about the repeating cache icons around the edges. I can see what your wanting to do, but it seems REALLY BUSY.

Maybe you can just have one of each on each of the coins, and make them larger. As it is now, it just doesn't portray "peace and balance" to me. :drama:

D-man :ninja:

... Also, I'm not too sure about the repeating cache icons around the edges. I can see what your wanting to do, but it seems REALLY BUSY...

D-man :ninja:

I wonder... maybe what you really want is to take the ring of people, and move it to the rim. That would "clean up" the face of each coin, and give you more room for the ID #. Just a thought.

One more thing. Another reason for switching the ammo can and satellite on the obverse is that the satellite would then be on the same half as Ivan Getting, which would be more logical.

Sure hope we aren't driving you nuts with all these ideas! :drama:

My personal recommendation, which is worth exactly nothing to anyone but me...

Open your design in a program that will allow you to shrink the image to life size (2.5").

Is everything easy to read? Does it look too busy TO YOU? Are you happy with it, seeing it life size? Does your minter (is that even a word?) say that they can make it?

If your primary plan is to sell as many of the coins as you can, run with all the suggestions you can cope with. If you are making it for your personal happiness and occasional trading with friends, stop fussing with it when you like it. You can make yourself nuts trying to please everyone.

Having said that, my personal opinion is that it DOES look very busy. But my opinions are worth exactly as much as my personal recommendations... :unsure:

Greets I love the coin set, I have a idea about the numbering,, I understand that the coins will both have differant tracking numbers..now think of merging them.

Ok here goes,, What will make it a set is both halves,, any of the both halfs combined would constitue a "set" at this point of concept if I understand this correctly.

What about adding a "Run Number" to the series,, if producing 500 coins numbered 001-500 , what would really define the set from each other would be having #001 and #001 -- and #500--#500 of each half. since they will be sold as pairs ! equaling 1000 coins to make 500 sets..example numbers of production..

I have seen many a coins having a sequential run number on the coin besides the tracking numbers, in this case would make the sets "VERY" defined. instead of "ANY" 2 halves making the true set.

Maybe I'm thinkin too hard,, But perhaps not. If I'm thinking correct I would like to place a order for #034 of the set please my luckey numbers LOL :unsure:

Heck I'll buy a set anyway they come out !!

Glenn

Edited by glennk721

I think it would be nice to have the same number on both coins (Coin A: 1-250; Coin B: 1-250).

It would also be good to have different metals. But I think we should sell this Geocoin only in sets (with the same plating). What do you think about my imagination?

Edited by DRunners