New Feature Request - Geocacher Watchlist

arkansas angler

I enjoy the watchlist feature of geocaching. I get to see who's found a cache or travel bug, and I get to see where all a travel bug has been and alerts on where it's going. Wouldn't it be neat to be able to keep an eye out on those geocachers around me?

Right now I have to go to the geocacher's profile and then pull up their geocaching finds to find what they've been up to. It would be a lot less hassle if I could just put them on a watchlist and get email alerts and so on.

I enjoy seeing geocachers going to those caches that I've been to and hearing their story.

This has been requested a number of times in the past. Jeremy has indicated that this functionality will be forthcoming through a buddies list. Basically, you would indicate that you wanted to watch someone and that person would have to agree to it, as I understand the concept.

Edited by sbell111

I heard from a friend that it's going to be functional before Friday.

Maybe so, but it does have to be something close to the buddy list idea. Privacy concerns make it imperative that people have the right to choose to not be tracked and the right to know who is tracking them and prevent it if they choose.

JD

Maybe so, but it does have to be something close to the buddy list idea. Privacy concerns make it imperative that people have the right to choose to not be tracked and the right to know who is tracking them and prevent it if they choose.

JD

There are no privacy concerns over a watchlist since no information is given that you have not already given openly on the site.

Thanks goodness! EVERY single time I'm on this website I always wish there was some way of "friending" people. I have half a dozen other friends from around the state who all geocache and it would be awesome to be able to keep track of their recent finds and logs online.

I cannot tell you how thrilled I am to hear that this feature is incomming :blink::huh:

This has been requested a number of times in the past. Jeremy has indicated that this functionality will be forthcoming through a buddies list. Basically, you would indicate that you wanted to watch someone and that person would have to agree to it, as I understand the concept.

Wouldn't be a bad idea as long as you get to decide who does and doesn't watch you, there are a few people out in the woods who I just don't rightly want watching me :D

Wouldn't be a bad idea as long as you get to decide who does and doesn't watch you, there are a few people out in the woods who I just don't rightly want watching me :D

It wouldn't really matter since you can do it today anyway just not as easily. The information is historical anyway. Unless your somewhere you were not suppose to be, who cares since it is past tense.

You people ever hear of Bookmarks?

That kind of thinking is ruining the game! Members should be required to type the FULL HTTP address of the website and profile each time they want to view someone's profile! Adding a new feature or even the use of your fancy-schmancy "bookmark" system is blasphemy to this purist!

/sarcasm off

:blink:

I'd love to see a buddy list. Permission shouldn't be needed as the available information isn't changing, only the convenience in getting to it (much easier to click a name on a buddy list than wade through a Favorites folder structure).

Oh... ...and today is Friday. Where is it?

JD

And I wouldn't worry, as this feature will be implemented, or at least the TPTB implied so in past discussions. :blink:

Even if this won't prevent dedicated stalkers from tracking you, it's always a good idea to not make it too easy, like using guns instead of knives to attack... or have people not paid attention to what has happened since the so-called "IT Revolution" ?? :o

JD

There are no privacy concerns over a watchlist since no information is given that you have not already given openly on the site.

Stalking is a privacy concern.

We have met many people through geocaching, and I would appreciate a type of "Buddy list" as a short-cut to see profiles and send messages. Some of these cachers are, lets just say very active, and I would not want to recieve an email for each of their logs!

I think requesting to put someone on your list would send them an e-mail, which they could then confirm to allow you to place them on your list.

JD

No, not really. Unless your a Time Lord.

JD

No, not really. Unless your a Time Lord.

Yes really. I won't name specifics, but I know of at least one as a fact, and a couple others as a rumor, and that's without the buddy list.

Yes really. I won't name specifics, but I know of at least one as a fact, and a couple others as a rumor, and that's without the buddy list.

Sounds like "my brother, knows this guy who has a cousin, who knew someone that had a brother who worked with a girls with a sister that...."

Since only historical data already readily available, it is neither possible nor a concern. If someone is that paranoid, stay off the internet.

Edited by baloo&bd

Sounds like "my brother, knows this guy who has a cousin, who knew someone that had a brother who worked with a girls with a sister that...."

Since only historical data already readily available, it is neither possible nor a concern. If someone is that paranoid, stay off the internet.

You're wrong on all counts and your sarcasm doesn't sit well. There's more than one style of stalking and it doesn't have to be in live time. Internet stalking has already been proven in the legal system. Monitoring historical data has been a part and symptom of it. Right now, without the buddy system it can be done manually and to some extent with scripts to work through search engines such as Google. I'm a strong supporter of an opt out system when this is to be implemented for people whom so choose to do so.

If you're interested... these might be worth a read:

http://www.crimelibrary.com/criminal_mind/...stalking/1.html

http://www.bullyonline.org/related/stalking.htm

Edited by TotemLake

You're wrong on all counts and your sarcasm doesn't sit well.

<snip>

If you're interested... these might be worth a read:

http://www.crimelibrary.com/criminal_mind/...stalking/1.html

http://www.bullyonline.org/related/stalking.htm

There was no sarcasm intended. I apologize for not being clearer. You offered an unverifiable piece(s) of information stated as fact, I gave a similar example of unverifiable information. There was no difference to either your example or mine.

I went to the two links. Thanks for providing them, they give more weight to the fact that there would be no privacy concerns.

In both links, in both their examples and tips, they discuss interaction between the stalker and the victim through emails, chat rooms, etc. INTERACTION. Not passive, or even active, monitoring. They do offer tips on how to reduce the data that is available such as phone numbers, schools, work place, etc. I support that all of this information should be kept to a minimum and is not available on geocaching.com unless you make it available. If someone is targeted, a buddy type system on GC would be of no consequence and offer very little assistance to them.

Rarely do we cache the same area (park, FP, etc.) with any regularity or predictable timeframe. If I post that I will be doing the BoB's in Chicago prior to going and give the date and time, my bad, however the fact that I did them months or even a day before is not information that would be useful to anyone outside of geocaching purposes. You may be able to get an idea of the town or region I live in, but most of us (including you) put that info in our profles anyway and even so, the information would be aof limited use and available by looking at the logs of a targeted victim.

So, since I apparently am "not wrong on all counts" since you are offering nothing more than an opinion, we're back to there are no privacy concerns.

If it is instituted with an opt out feature for those paranoid, that will still be better than nothing at all.

Thanks for the links.

I prefer people who live their life vicariously through my logs to tell me directly they've enjoyed what I've done. I appreciate the courtesy. It speaks highly of their character. Removes the creep factor, too. :laughing:

It'll be up to Groundspeak to decide what to do, but perception of creepiness, real or imagined, is bad. :blink:

FYI: I thought it was funny that the bullyonline site considers troll a variation of a stalker. :laughing:

Troll. The Troll's purpose is to be given more credibility than (s)he deserves, and to suck people into useless, pointless, never-ending, emotionally-draining, ranting discussions full of verbal loops and "word labyrinths", playing people against each other, hurting their feelings, and wasting their time and emotional energy.

The point I was trying to drive home with the links and my comments is stalking is mostly done by people that you know. There is evidence there is an infatuation (romantic or otherwise) with the person that's doing the stalking. Most stalkers will have a lot of information on that person, including but not limited to historical and publically available information. With that, you can learn the victim's habits; where they tend to go, who they tend to see, etc.

You can draw your own conclusions as it isn't a completely agreed upon concept but don't limit your perceptions.

Edited by TotemLake

I think this approval will be necessary in order for the majority of geocachers to be comfortable with the idea.

Or just the vocal minority.

So I should just sit down, shut up and let things be?

I think your remark is once again over the line.

:)

Edited by baloo&bd

I was just going to suggest this in a new thread, but saw that it has already come up. It has been a long time since the last post. Is there still a "buddy list" in the works? I can think of several great reasons for havin one, although I do appreciate the position of those who prefer not to participate. Maybe there could be a single "check box" the user could set in their profile to allow or not allow their name to appear on watchlists.