Anybody Tried 2.90 For 60csx?

Garmin is pleased to announce that new software is available for the GPSMAP 60CSx.

The new software is: GPSMAP 60CSx Ver. 2.90

Garmin recommends that you install this software by using our WebUpdater software. You can learn about WebUpdater on this page:

http://www.garmin.com/products/webupdater/

You can download the new software from our website by clicking the following link:

http://www.garmin.com/support/collection.j...ct=010-00422-00

Changes made from version 2.70 to 2.90:

* Add feature to save active track log to file on data card.

* Add ability to utilize mass storage on PC via USB connection.

* Fix NMEA output to include GPGSV sentence.

* Improve Garmin USB Mac support.

wow. didn't take long for this to go production.

I've installed it, was running 2.70. We're having slow network stuff at work, so I am in the middle of updating mapsource so I can mount the device as a usbstore. Is there another way to do this, via the O/S?

Randy

I was just wondering if I should wait for a 2.91 beta... Are the tracks still saved on the data card?

I just tested the USB mass storage mode and they FIXED the issue I had with beta 2.71, where the only way to get out of that mode was to unplug usb or using safely remove hardware in the PC taskbar(windowsXP). Now you can just push the power button to restart the gpsr..... nice.

tested on a 60cx. I really wish they would have actually fixed Waas or some of the other issues. maybe the new beta will address some of these.

Edited by hogrod

For a patch that only contains four items it sure was a big file, not to mention a large jump in revision numbering.

For a patch that only contains four items it sure was a big file, not to mention a large jump in revision numbering.

It isn't really a "patch", it is the entire firmware, which is why it's about the same size as the other versions. Here are the sizes (sizes of the RGN files):

Version 2.70 - 3 144 091 bytes

Version 2.71 - 3 147 927 bytes

Version 2.90 - 3 181 691 bytes

As you can see, they're all about 3 MB.

Edited by jay11

I've just updated my 60CSx to 2.90 :) Although the update went well, they haven't fixed many issues. There is still all the POI problems and you still can't click a waypoint from the map (this feature disappeared a few firmwares ago, and it's a very important feature especially if geocaching).

Hope to see a new update SOON :(

Train Man, what's this "click waypoint from the map" problem? Did I completely miss a feature in my relentless pusuit of upgradedness? =]

If you make a waypoint on the map somewhere then go back to the map and bring the cursor to it and click it just says nothing is there. You used to be able to open up the waypoint which was a VERY useful feature.

Train Man, what's this "click waypoint from the map" problem? Did I completely miss a feature in my relentless pusuit of upgradedness? =]

If you make a waypoint on the map somewhere then go back to the map and bring the cursor to it and click it just says nothing is there. You used to be able to open up the waypoint which was a VERY useful feature.

I have not seen this with waypoints, but I have if I load waypoints as POI. I can see the POI location if I'm zoomed in far enough, but can't click on it for info.

Just did the upgrade to 2.90 and used the USB to PC connection for the microSD card. Worked fine. I made a backup of the data on an SD card that I had. If I have to replace the microSD card, I can just copy the data from that SD card to a new microSD card.

What DID happen is that when I turned it on, it went off after like 3 second. The second time I turned it on, it stayed on. It's a brand new 60CSx so I don't know if that was something that would be happening anyway.

I just tested the USB mass storage mode and they FIXED the issue I had with beta 2.71, where the only way to get out of that mode was to unplug usb or using safely remove hardware in the PC taskbar(windowsXP). Now you can just push the power button to restart the gpsr..... nice.

tested on a 60cx. I really wish they would have actually fixed Waas or some of the other issues. maybe the new beta will address some of these.

How do you use the USB mass storage mode? I jumped from 2.70 to 2.90, and don't know how to use option now to save tracks to the card, or pull them up on the computer. I've apparently been able to save a track to the card, but don't know what to do to see it on my Windows XP machine.

How do you use the USB mass storage mode? I jumped from 2.70 to 2.90, and don't know how to use option now to save tracks to the card, or pull them up on the computer. I've apparently been able to save a track to the card, but don't know what to do to see it on my Windows XP machine.

I found it. You have to go to the setup page, select "interface", and there is an option for USB mass storage.

:drama: That definitely doesn't happen on my unit. I'm running 2.90 and waypoints can easily be selected straight from the map-- I've never had a problem with waypoints....

BTW, I have a CSx.

Edited by Cache Heads

:rolleyes: That definitely doesn't happen on my unit. I'm running 2.90 and waypoints can easily be selected straight from the map-- I've never had a problem with waypoints....

BTW, I have a CSx.

Is it even POSSIBLE that my unit is defective? I'm SURE it doesn't work with waypoints (I don't use POI's). It started doing this with 2.71 and still does it with 2.90. I don't see how this is even possible when my enter key still works. Any ideas?

With firmware v2.90, tracks are stored on the data card. Is there anywhere on the menu where we can determine the memory status of the card? Does it mean that with a larger capacity card, we can store more tracks or are there some other limitations on this?

Noticed when the upgrading from 2.70 to 2.90 was in progress, the dialogue box showing the status of upgrading still indicated "upgrading to v2.70". A check on the system page later showed that 2.90 had indeed been installed. Garmin probably forgot to change the relevant page when rolling out 2.90, I guess.

The horror..... I upgraded to 2.90, and as soon as I got a satellite lock, the screen went gray, then the unit powered itself off :P

Lather, rinse, and repeat 3 more times...screen goes gray, then the unit powers itself off.

Oh %$#@ :P

The 5th time was the charm, apparently, as unit finally powered on and worked. I tempted fate by powering it off again, but it came up perfect as it has since I bought it 2 months ago. A few scary minutes there... thanks Garmin for the extra gray hairs!!! :rolleyes:

With firmware v2.90, tracks are stored on the data card. Is there anywhere on the menu where we can determine the memory status of the card? Does it mean that with a larger capacity card, we can store more tracks or are there some other limitations on this?

menu/menu

chose tracks

chose setup

chose data card setup

The bar at the top of the screen shows the amount of memory used on the card.

You can store as many track logs as you want until the card is full.

Nice to see they added the track function to the non-beta update. However disappointing that they did not address some of the more major problems, such as the WAAS and regaining satalite lock problems, I'm starting to think with multiple updates now and no fix for these major issues that the problem may not be fixable with firmware. I would think these issues would be a major priority to fix if they could. I like my 76csx overall, but I consider a gps unit that can't regain satalite lock without being power cycled defective.

I'm currently waiting for my new 60CSX to aarrive, and the upgrade will probably be high on the list of thigs to do.

How many of you are upgrading with the recommended webupdater, and how many downloading the file and doing it manually?

The advantage to the web updater must be that it should be impossible to put the wrong firmware on, I very nearly did this once on my forerunner. But unless it caches the download, I don't like the idea of a network timeout when halfway through?

Opinions....

I'm currently waiting for my new 60CSX to aarrive, and the upgrade will probably be high on the list of thigs to do.

How many of you are upgrading with the recommended webupdater, and how many downloading the file and doing it manually?

The advantage to the web updater must be that it should be impossible to put the wrong firmware on, I very nearly did this once on my forerunner. But unless it caches the download, I don't like the idea of a network timeout when halfway through?

Opinions....

Most of the time I use WebUpdater. As far as I can tell from watching the process happen, the entire file is downloaded from the Web site, then validated somehow (maybe just a CRC check), after which the program actually updates the GPSr firmware. It certainly doesn't appear to just suck the file off the Web site and funnel it to the GPSr simultaneously, that would be a recipe for disaster.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe Webupdater pays any attention to beta versions of the updates. In other words, if you want to try a beta version you'll need to manually download the updater application from the Garmin Web site and run the application.

--Larry

I've just updated my 60CSx to 2.90 :rolleyes: Although the update went well, they haven't fixed many issues. There is still all the POI problems and you still can't click a waypoint from the map (this feature disappeared a few firmwares ago, and it's a very important feature especially if geocaching).

Hope to see a new update SOON :anicute:

You mean you can't click on, say, a geocache you've got saved as a waypoint to get more info?

I certainly can on my 60CSx with firmware 2.90 HOWEVER I have to have the point right on top of it AND it must "autohighlight" before I hit enter. Some icons are more difficult to highlight (the flags for example) than the geocache icon.

If I "miss" the icon I get the message I think you're describing: "No map information at this point. Do you want to create a user waypoint here?"

But unless it caches the download, I don't like the idea of a network timeout when halfway through?

There is no way any program would update a device or application "live" over the Internet. Even Micro$oft operating system security updates are downloaded first to the local computer ... and then installed. Even if it appears to update directly from the website, the file is first downloaded to a temp file directory location and then programming code automatically starts the install. For the most part, the web updater program just makes sure you're downloading the correct update for the GPSr.