Wanted: Routable City Maps For Legend C

Liz and I were in Asheville and happened upon Best Buy and decided to purchase the routable city maps for our Legend C so we could get some extra use out of it. The salesman assured us it was the appropriate item (Salesman: "Yeah, if it's a Legend series, it should work perfectly" Us: "So it'll route?" Salesman: "Oh yeah."), and we went back to Greenwood thinking we'd have an auto GPS in addition to the geocaching... well, turns out the salesman was mistaken. The software was not routeable and was meant for the Legend, not the Legend C. Best Buy refused to accept the return as the software was opened. So now we're trying to locate a copy without having to drop another 100+. Not asking for a handout, so we'd be willing to pay for the second key on a DVD or something. Any help would be appreciated.

I suggest that you write to BestBuy and complain. It is not your fault that their floor people are dumb as posts. If they still don't accept your return, I suggest that you tell Garmin that BestBuy is not representing their products correctly and ask if they can help. Getting this kind of Customer No-Service is what keeps me out of Big Box stores.

Good Luck in your quest!

Happy Trails,

Something like this might work (if the link works).

Try skimming something that comes with the software, that you can sell back off on ebay.

Radioshack for awhile had the Garmin GPS 18 for 89 bucks with software. Turn around and sell the GPS puck for 50 bucks and you're down to pretty cheap and legal software.

link here.. http://cgi.ebay.com/Garmin-GPS-18-Receiver...1QQcmdZViewItem

john

Something like this might work (if the link works).

Try skimming something that comes with the software, that you can sell back off on ebay.

Radioshack for awhile had the Garmin GPS 18 for 89 bucks with software. Turn around and sell the GPS puck for 50 bucks and you're down to pretty cheap and legal software.

link here.. http://cgi.ebay.com/Garmin-GPS-18-Receiver...1QQcmdZViewItem

john

Excellent idea! I appreciate it! :drama:

I have just wrote a big blurb about this on the "wtb: City Navigator" thread.

Having owned Garmin units and software for many years, I can bore for Britain on the subject. Want routable software in your Vista/Legend C/Cx - buy a unit that comes with the City Nav software included, use the second unlock - sell the kit off if it is no use to you.

Today, you need to buy a Cx handheld to have the use of the microSD memory card. This is a long overdue move by Garmin and enables you to use a string of high capacity cards to hold your map data.

This is absolutely essential for City Nav V8 (and future) because of the large "map tile" size. If you do not know what I'm banging on about - just trust me!

This is absolutely essential for City Nav V8 (and future) because of the large "map tile" size. If you do not know what I'm banging on about - just trust me!

So is it for certain that the City Navigator North America v8 is going to be large map segments? It’s hard for me to trust you on this when it hasn’t been released.

This kind of reminds me of my 16 year-old daughter that likes to use the phrase “just trust me”.

So is it for certain that the City Navigator North America v8 is going to be large map segments? It’s hard for me to trust you on this when it hasn’t been released.

This kind of reminds me of my 16 year-old daughter that likes to use the phrase “just trust me”.

...then you should read more and see more and check your facts before going into print.

I live in the UK - City Navigator Europe V8 has been out for some time. To assist you in learning to exercise some constraint before making such comments:

Garmin City Navigator Europe V8

Have a nice day!

Edited by Sue and Bernie

City Navigator for North America v8.0 (back on topic) is due out soon (end of June?) , and all evidence points to the fact that they will have smaller map tiles again, a la City Select v7.0.

e.g. a Garmin rep via email from las year: ""Now to let you know, next summer when version 8 is released, it will go back to the original map sets not larger than 5mb each, and all City Select customers will be transitioned over to City Navigator."

We'll have to wait and see.

With a Legend C, and assuming the Garmin reps are correct, I'll hang on for City Navigator v8.0 (or buy City Selct v7.0, and assume garmin will give you a free upgrade to City Navigator v8.0.. which there has been precendence for).

...then you should read more and see more and check your facts before going into print.

I live in the UK - City Navigator Europe V8 has been out for some time. To assist you in learning to exercise some constraint before making such comments:

Garmin City Navigator Europe V8

Have a nice day!

Did I say City Navigator Europe v8? No, I said City Navigator North America v8? I'm pretty sure there is an obvious difference. I know that one is on the east side of the pond and the other is one the west side. One has been released and one has not!!! Yes I have read a lot about it and I'm fairly well informed, but I definitely can't claim to know everything.

Have a nice day! :rolleyes: