Tb Ethics?

griffinox

I LOVE TBs, and love to help move them along. Yesterday I dropped one and grabbed 3. I could grab another three today if I wanted..that would put me at SIX. I'm worried this would be viewed as greedy, and not giving others a chance. What is the general ettiquette for TBing?

Well, if you can help the TB along then what's greedy about it?

Grabbing them and hanging onto them for long periods, then you would have a concern.

Just move them along their way in a timely manner and all is right.

That's enough for me...now I just need to find a way to get there :lol:

FYI May 2nd …. From Jeremy

Lately there has been an increase in logging activity for Travel Bugs and Geocoins. Unfortunately many people were picking up and dropping these items into the same geocache so they could increase their find count or receive a new trackable icon in their profile. As a result we have created a new log type which also goes towards your profile count without causing unnecessary extra movements for the trackable item.

The new log type is called "Discovered it" and can be used if you have the tracking number for the icon. Please use this if you have no plans to move the Travel Bug or geocoin to a new location.

See ....... Jeremy is thinking of you.

:lol: ImpalaBob

Bugs are not trade items.

Why not?

With trade items it is encouraged that you do a 1 for 1 swap and that you trade up or even, meaning something just as good or better. If you take broken McToy, replace it with a not-broken McToy.

Travel Bugs on the other hand are on a mission. So long you can assist it, by moving it, there is no requirement to trade 1 for 1 for a Travel Bug, and obviously no trade up or even requirement either. The other day, I grabbed three TB's because I could help them on their way... but i didn't leave any (the one's I had wouldn't be helped by moving them to that cache). I then moved the three that I picked up to another cache and grabbed one from there to move it in another direction. No trading.

Because you don't keep them.

nor are they used as ransom for other TBs being held hostage in a TB Hotel.

Trading doesn't = keeping.

Holding them for ransom sounds kinda fun, is this a new game?

I went with the short answer, BRTango covered it.

As far as I can tell trading bugs is totally fine and the possibility of holding them for ransom has now shown itself as a new possibility.

Was that your guy's point?

How's this one for "holding hostage". We have a local cacher grabbing up most of the coins in the area and moving them to an unapproved cache clear across the contry - this has been going on since the beginning of February. When quizzed about it he said the cache he is putting them in is a birthday gift for a buddy and is supposed to go active the beginning of June (I guess it is still the beginning of June).

Mean while our coins just sit......

Nice idea for a gift, but alot of other people's money sit in the unapproved cache and his local cachers miss out on cool coins because this guy gets to them quick and rarely puts something there in it's place. The problem is the cache is most likely going to be a very difficult cache. Hope when it goes activated the buddy finds it quickly and moves the coins quickly so they get circulating again....and I hope he sends them back across the contry!

Trading doesn't = keeping.

Holding them for ransom sounds kinda fun, is this a new game?

I went with the short answer, BRTango covered it.

As far as I can tell trading bugs is totally fine and the possibility of holding them for ransom has now shown itself as a new possibility.

Was that your guy's point?

A one for one swap of travel bugs is fine, same as a two for one, three for none, etc... so long as you can move it along on its desired mission.

Holding a travel bug ransom is definately not the point. You never want to that... it's not fun for anyone involved. (See BlueDeuces comment above for what it means).

How's this one for "holding hostage". We have a local cacher grabbing up most of the coins in the area and moving them to an unapproved cache clear across the contry - this has been going on since the beginning of February. When quizzed about it he said the cache he is putting them in is a birthday gift for a buddy and is supposed to go active the beginning of June (I guess it is still the beginning of June).

Nice idea for a gift, but alot of other people's money sit in the unapproved cache and his local cachers miss out on cool coins because this guy gets to them quick and rarely puts something there in it's place. The problem is the cache is most likely going to be a very difficult cache. Hope when it goes activated the buddy finds it quickly and moves the coins quickly so they get circulating again....and I hope he sends them back across the contry!

Wow!! that bites!! :(

I absolutely agree. I recently saw a cache page that was a TB hotel and the cache owner said to leave at least one TB in the cache at all times! How crazy is that? If my TB was the one left in there being held "ransom" I would have issues with the cache owner. :(

As others have said, take 'em if you can help 'em.

That said, I try to be fair in my general taking and leaving of TBs. I live in a fairly "closed" caching area (meaning that we don't get tons of cachers passing through). So, if I grab a few TBs to take with me on travel, I try to bring a like number back with me from travel, but will p[lace them in other caches. I also try to place a new TB with every new cache I hide. If I have a TB or two, I sometimes place them in a a cache with no TBs picked up.

In the long run, my TB activities are pretty balanced...the overall TB count for the area remains steady with my actions.

There is a local Jeep TB cache. The owner's cache rules say that in order to take a Jeep TB you must leave a Jeep TB! How obscure is that?! Those TB's are not that common! How long have those bugs been sitting there?!! Would I be an a** if I took one to help it along its mission anyway?

Edited by LV2SV

Maybe 'cause I'm new at this, I disagree. I am bummed (actually my daughter is), we are going to Tn this week and I saw a local cache had some TB's and I told her we would take ONE with us. I didn't grab it right then as I did not want to hold it too long. Now yesterday, somebody cleaned out the cache, dropped them all in another a little too far away to get one, and there are no more local TB's to take.

Yea, I appreciate they are on their way, but DD sure is let down.

Got my eyeball on some up north, so unless Tn. is cleaned out, maybe we will bring ONE back.

Today I went to a tb motel, thought was to take a 66 corvette travel bug and replace it with a 2006 Colorado geocoin...also to take a look and discovery mtn-man Admin Brick Geocoin which I had never seen or heard of.

Also a few more TBs were to be in cache but ha nothing but a few swag items and the logbook . after going through on line logs one or two were reported missing....

Log book showed trades on how these bugs got there but no one reported them gone....I have emailed owner of cache with the events....

I say keep the bugs moving, or do discoveries so the owner can try to pinpoint when the TBs vanished

:drama:

I am going to Wyoming. If I find a travel bug on the way, can I pick it up and bring it back to California and put it in an already existing cache out here?

If it is in line with the TB's goal, Absolutely.

You can place it in a cache you've already visited or a new find. z'all good.