Logging Cache To Multiple Accounts

Often when caching several accounts holders go as a group and to make it easier to log for each person, I would suggest a feature to post the same log for each member of the group. This will be especially useful for families with small children that have their own account. Thank you for concidering this suggestion.

This has been brought up before.

Personally, I'd rather read each individual's feelings and experience about my cache, than get spammed with four, five, or six identical log entries.

If they are old enough to have an account, or if you want to manage one for them, then someone needs to write separate logs for each account.

Your log entries, to a very great extent, are the hider's only reward for hiding a cache.

Show your appreciation and write good logs.

Shouldn't the kids practice their typing and creative writing skills?

Personally, I'd rather read each individual's feelings and experience about my cache, than get spammed with four, five, or six identical log entries.

If they are old enough to have an account, or if you want to manage one for them, then someone needs to write separate logs for each account.

Your log entries, to a very great extent, are the hider's only reward for hiding a cache.

I agree very much with the opinions and observations shared by AZcachemesiter, above. If you truly feel a need to enter "carbon copy" log entries for caches which you and your spouse, partner or kids have found, I suspect that at least one of the following must be true:

• you are largely finding caches which are pure junk, aka "lame urban micros" and which do not warrant anything more than a "Found it, TNLNSL" log entry
  • you have entirely forgotten or do not care for the community concept of geocaching, where the log entries (for finds, notes and DNFs, etc.) serve as much of the currency and bond of the community
  • you have entirely forgotten the concept of each finder expressing a bit of appreciation to the cache hider and to the community via the act of a personalized log entry.
  • You see nothing wrong with spamming cache owners -- and everyone who has watchlisted the cache -- with identical carbon-copy log entries.

Matter of fact, after re-reading your post, Tankgirl2, I am gonna say something to you which I rarely say to a cacher:

Please do me a favor and please do not ever log any of our caches, until and unless your sense of ethics and gratitude changes. Thanks!

Matter of fact, after re-reading your post, Tankgirl2, I am gonna say something to you which I rarely say to a cacher:

Please do me a favor and please do not ever log any of our caches, until and unless your sense of ethics and gratitude changes. Thanks!

Nice, really nice. :(

Don't worry, tankgirl2, there are people around that are not high and mighty judgemental creeps. We aren't all like that.

I agree very much with the opinions and observations shared by AZcachemesiter, above. If you truly feel a need to enter "carbon copy" log entries for caches which you and your spouse, partner or kids have found, I suspect that at least one of the following must be true:

• you are largely finding caches which are pure junk, aka "lame urban micros" and which do not warrant anything more than a "Found it, TNLNSL" log entry
  • you have entirely forgotten or do not care for the community concept of geocaching, where the log entries (for finds, notes and DNFs, etc.) serve as much of the currency and bond of the community
  • you have entirely forgotten the concept of each finder expressing a bit of appreciation to the cache hider and to the community via the act of a personalized log entry.
  • You see nothing wrong with spamming cache owners -- and everyone who has watchlisted the cache -- with identical carbon-copy log entries.

Most of your post was way out of line. How dare you treat a noob this way? :(

Most of your post was way out of line. How dare you treat a noob this way
8 months at this sport with almost 500 finds hardly makes her a noob. But yeah, Vinny was out of line there.

I think someone might have peed in his Wheaties this morning.

Make that 'forum-noob'. :(

FWIW, it seems to me that if someone isn't old enough to write a comment, they probably aren't old enough to do geocaching and thus have an account. Why would, for example, a parent obtain an account for their five-year-old?

I see that the "Vinny and Sue Team" live in an area through which I do a fair amount of travel. As I plan geocaching there, I'm pretty sure I'll remember their comments as I make my list of caches to visit.

The more I think of this thread, the more I kinda like the idea. Sorta. I don't really care for the idea of duplicating the log for three players in a family team, but I like the idea of tying multiple players to a single log.

This would be a good thing, in my opinion. By linking multiple players to a single log, it would reduce the number of emails received by a cache owner.

Most of your post was way out of line. How dare you treat a noob this way? :(

I have no idea what you are talking about. The cacher who started this thread is far from a newbie, with a great number of finds, and has admitted that she or he wishes to post spam find logs. There is nothing left to be said. Incidentally, Sbell111, I normally agree with your posts, although I am aware that you appear to have a running feud with one or more long-term posters here. This time, well, we happen to disagree. :)

The more I think of this thread, the more I kinda like the idea. Sorta. I don't really care for the idea of duplicating the log for three players in a family team, but I like the idea of tying multiple players to a single log.

This would be a good thing, in my opinion. By linking multiple players to a single log, it would reduce the number of emails received by a cache owner.

Yes, but to my way of thinking, it would be one more step toward "dumbing down" and depesonalizing the sport and making it more of an anonymous numbers game, rather than a sport with a large sense of community marked by personalized online log entries by each finder (or DNFer).

I have no idea what you are talking about. The cacher who started this thread is far from a newbie, with a great number of finds, and has admitted that she or he wishes to post spam find logs. There is nothing left to be said. Incidentally, Sbell111, I normally agree with your posts, although I am aware that you appear to have a running feud with one or more long-term posters here. This time, well, we happen to disagree. :(

So your problem is not that you were called out for being excessively rude, but that the poster wasn't a 'noob'? :)

FWIW, it seems to me that if someone isn't old enough to write a comment, they probably aren't old enough to do geocaching and thus have an account. Why would, for example, a parent obtain an account for their five-year-old?

I see that the "Vinny and Sue Team" live in an area through which I do a fair amount of travel. As I plan geocaching there, I'm pretty sure I'll remember their comments as I make my list of caches to visit.

Webfoot, I personally hope -- at this stage of the game for you -- that you avoid most of our caches, particularly our Psycho caches, as most are extreme caches. This comment is made with no disrespect to you, but simply in light of the fact that you are very new to the sport, with very few finds under your belt (and those few are largely for low-Terain rating caches), and I would not wish to encourage you to tackle any extreme caches at this time. Rather, why not wait till you have at least a hundred caches under your belt? On the other hand, my cautionary advice may not be applicable if you have had significant experience or training in spelunking, rock climbing, and other "extreme" outdoor sports.

I have no idea what you are talking about. The cacher who started this thread is far from a newbie, with a great number of finds, and has admitted that she or he wishes to post spam find logs. There is nothing left to be said. Incidentally, Sbell111, I normally agree with your posts, although I am aware that you appear to have a running feud with one or more long-term posters here. This time, well, we happen to disagree. :(

So your problem is not that you were called out for being excessively rude, but that the poster wasn't a 'noob'? :)

How is it rude for me to tell a person who admits that they wish to enter spam find logs that I would -- in light of their admission -- prefer that they avoid my caches? That action on my part is not at all rude (unless I had lapsed into using invectives and calling her names), but rather, a sane and clear action of setting a boundary. Of course -- speaking for a moment here as a former psychotherapist -- people who do not like other people setting boundaries often tend to call boundary-setting behavior "rude" or "mean" -- this resentment about boundary-setting is, in fact, one of several "red flag" hallmarks of dysfunctional families and dysfunctional organizations...

However, in retrospect, what I really should have written was not to ask the OP herself to avoid our caches, but rather to ask that they not bring their "spam log entourage" (whether it be spouse, partners, or children) along on the find, if their intent is to file spam (i.e., carbon copy) log entries for those additional finders. So yes, my incomplete request, as it was orignally worded, was kinda abrupt, and I feel, in retrospect, that I should have taken the time and the extra twenty-two words to explain exactly what it was I hoped she and her entourage would not do with finds at our caches. I still make the observation that the OP may be extremely deficient in gratitude and appreciation (to the geo community and to cache hiders) if they felt the need to conceive of spam find logs.

I am an advocate of individual log entries. For all but the most mundane of park and grabs, each person in a group of finders has the opportunity to offer a unique perspective in their log. The person who found the cache first after a long search will write a different log than the guy who was looking in the wrong area 50 feet away. Friends will tease each other back and forth about mistakes in navigation, dropping a piece of equipment in a stream, etc. With automated group logging, I fear that the temptation for shortcutting would be too great, and we would lose all those cool logs.

As a case in point, I let my daughter create her own separate account about a year ago. The condition was that she needed to write her own logs -- I wouldn't do copy and paste "found it with my Dad" logs for her (except for helping with the retroactive logging). If I'd been able to do group logging, I would have likely used the feature for our most recent caching expedition, which consisted of mostly park and grabs because my daughter had twisted her ankle.

One of the caches we found was a cemetery micro hidden by a good friend of ours who passed away suddenly last fall. Look at the May 27th logs on this cache. Ask yourself if the game of geocaching benefits more from having Little Leprechaun's log on that page, or from having the convenience of a generic "group" log.

If the kid is not old enough to write their own logs, they can still have a learning experience by describing to the parent what they remembered about the cache. A four year old can "dictate" a very different log than a jaded adult. The grownup will say "lame cache" since it was a tupperware under a pile of sticks, 10 feet off the trail. The four year old will say she saw a butterfly on the way to a cache, and that the PowerPuff Girl stickers were an awesome trade for the colored pencils she left.

How is it rude for me to tell a person who admits that they wish to enter spam find logs that I would -- in light of their admission -- prefer that they avoid my caches? That action on my part is not at all rude (unless I had lapsed into using invectives and calling her names), but rather, a sane and clear action of setting a boundary. Of course -- speaking for a moment here as a former psychotherapist -- people who do not like other people setting boundaries often tend to call boundary-setting behavior "rude" or "mean" -- this resentment about boundary-setting is, in fact, one of several "red flag" hallmarks of dysfunctional families and dysfunctional organizations...

One of the people who works for me had twenty years in as a social worker. Boy, can she get verbose. I don't know why I just flashed on that fact...

Anyway, taking the idea from multiple, identical logs to on log with multiple people tied to it makes it perfect for all involved, I think. 1) If individual team members enjoy creative writing, they are free to make individual logs. 2) If all members would tend to log 'TNLN TFTC', does anyone really want to get this from three members of the same team, or is once encough? 3) If one member likes to write and others don't, the writer could post a enjoyable log without subjecting the cache owner to the 'me, toos'.

Edited by sbell111
Most of your post was way out of line. How dare you treat a noob this way

8 months at this sport with almost 500 finds hardly makes her a noob. But yeah, Vinny was out of line there.

I think someone might have peed in his Wheaties this morning.

I agree with your "Wet Wheatie" hypothesis.

The OP did not say specifically that she wanted to utilize the suggested feature. It's possible that, as a cache owner, she's getting tired of multiple notifications that just say "Me, too".

Those things being said, I agree with AZcachemeister's original post.

Which is better, one long personal log tagged to two finders, or one personal log and one 'me, too'?

I'll jump in here with my opinion for what it is worth. I cache mainly with my wife. She really likes the searching part of geocaching, not the techie end of it. I do all the upfront work, run PQs, GSAK, Cachemate, loading in the GPSr and afterwards I get to log the entries for both of us. She wants them logged so she can keep count of how many she has done.

Again I get stuck with logging for both of us and because of that her logs tend to be a lot of cut-n-paste cuz I have a hard enough time writing something nice about a lamp post micro in a mall parking lot.

I am sorry that the cacher owner gets these less than wonderful logs, but that is just the way it is going to be.

Which is better, one long personal log tagged to two finders, or one personal log and one 'me, too'?

I'll jump in here with my opinion for what it is worth. I cache mainly with my wife. She really likes the searching part of geocaching, not the techie end of it. I do all the upfront work, run PQs, GSAK, Cachemate, loading in the GPSr and afterwards I get to log the entries for both of us. She wants them logged so she can keep count of how many she has done.

Again I get stuck with logging for both of us and because of that her logs tend to be a lot of cut-n-paste cuz I have a hard enough time writing something nice about a lamp post micro in a mall parking lot.

I am sorry that the cacher owner gets these less than wonderful logs, but that is just the way it is going to be.

So if you're logging under your wife's name, as your wife, why not put in the logs how wonderful a husband you are and how she never could have found the cache without your help. :(

Granted, you could be charged with fraud under that "truth in advertising" law, but after she reads a few of those logs she'll want to write them herself. :)

My son, Mr. McLintock is 5 years old and has his own GPSr. When we go and find a cache I will see it and I'll walk away and tell him I found it but will not tell him where it is. Then he goes and finds it. sometimes he finds them before I do. The fact that he can't type on a keyboard DOES NOT mean he isn't a geacacher. Since he is a legitimate cacher he deserves his own profile. FWIW

edited for clarity

Edited by erikwillke

Earlier, I said: “FWIW, it seems to me that if someone isn't old enough to write a comment, they probably aren't old enough to do geocaching and thus have an account. Why would, for example, a parent obtain an account for their five-year-old?”

I generally don’t like making a lot of quotes, but I very much liked two responses to what I said, and they have changed my mind. Thanks to two people who probably are very good parents for posting them.

“The Leprechauns” said: If the kid is not old enough to write their own logs, they can still have a learning experience by describing to the parent what they remembered about the cache. A four year old can "dictate" a very different log than a jaded adult. The grownup will say "lame cache" since it was a tupperware under a pile of sticks, 10 feet off the trail. The four year old will say she saw a butterfly on the way to a cache, and that the PowerPuff Girl stickers were an awesome trade for the colored pencils she left.

“erikwillkie” said: My son, Mr. McLintock is 5 years old and has his own GPSr. When we go and find a cache I will see it and I'll walk away and tell him I found it but will not tell him where it is. Then he goes and finds it. sometimes he finds them before I do. The fact that he can't type on a keyboard DOES NOT mean he isn't a geacacher. Since he is a legitimate cacher he deserves his own profile. FWIW

My 12 year old is quite capable of writing her own logs. I finally got her own account for her - and she is determined to go back to each and every cache WE found before she had her own account - just to log her own find stories.

Not every person will be a poet and describe the scenery on the way, or show the excitement of being a FTF on a cache. We have one fellow here locally who writes the same darn post for every cache he does in that day..."Was out caching with @#$ and had a 70 + day!!!"

Or "Ewww, bad spiders and grass, will leave this one alone today". Which in itself is fine, but he will post the same thing for all the caches that day. Not in the least bit interesting.

My daughter will try to find something funny or different in the experience, and I always try to describe the event in different words than are usually seen. Rather than "Spiders!" I try to say "Ewww! The bit-part characters from that movie with David Arquette were all over the place!"

I for one would like to see an individual post for every cache and every account. Period!

TNLNSL is SO very old!