Gpsmap 60 Series Protective Cases

I want to get a case for my new 60CSx and it looks like a toss up between Garmin's offering and the Gilsson case. A couple of bucks here or there is no big deal. My main concern is button actuation through the "window" and ability to use the belt clip. Anyone here have any experience and preference?

Thanks.

Well, I'm concerned about keeping dirt out of the buttons too, so that may be a nick against the Garmin case that it was difficult for you to use the buttons.

I think you'll have the same difficulty with either. I have the Glisson case and the buttons are a problem sometimes. Not so much the buttons, but sometimes the rocker switch gets a little funky. You try to push it one way and with the case, another direction gets pushed too. Pick the one that's cheaper or you like better, I guess.

I have used and been very happy with the 60c cases from http://www.cartom.virtual-space.com/gps.htm It covers the entire unit. I'm not wild about their belt clip, but I'm hyper about that kind of thing.

I ended up getting a Gilsson case for $9, but that does look like an interesting case. I might have to check one of those out. Any reception problems with the antenna covered up? (I have a 60CSx, which would probably be less of an issue.)

I've used that case on both my 60cs and my 60csx. reception appears identical with or without the case. Apparently "scuba suit" isn't much of a blocker of that wavelength of RF.

I really do need to update my ranting on this topic. Once I got past the belt clip thing (I've already confessed I'm obsessive about this...) it really is a very nifty case. They have ones that fit Explorist, too.

I have used and been very happy with the 60c cases from http://www.cartom.virtual-space.com/gps.htm It covers the entire unit. I'm not wild about their belt clip, but I'm hyper about that kind of thing.

I had one for my 76S and I bought another one for my 60CSx at the same time I bought the unit.

I'm delighted with it.

The only backdraw is I have to remove the unit from the case whenever I want to use the unit in the car's suction cup holder, but I also bought the protective screen from invisibleshield, so all is correct now!

I just got a case for mine for hauling around. Its a Pelican case fits perfect

the model is 1030 check it out waterproof and you can run it over with your car. (I woulnd recommend it though)

1030CB.jpg

Looks nice. Can you post a photo with the GPS in it?

I bought the garmin case, and then cut the little bottom part out of it (so I don't have to push the buttons through the plastic it drove me nuts).

It keeps te screen covered and works great.

kg.

I did the exact same thing. The cover is falling apart after a year and a half, but the GPS looks like it just came out of the box and I really abuse the thing. I'm definitely buying another and doing the same thing

Well, I'm concerned about keeping dirt out of the buttons too, so that may be a nick against the Garmin case that it was difficult for you to use the buttons.

Its not difficult, but I found it annoying. I like to feel the buttons. You're going to have the same issue with any product that covers the buttons. Still I haven't had a problem with dirt getting in the buttons - well at least the dirt hasn't affected the buttons. As I said the unit gets knocked around a lot and it's fallen in the mud and water and still looks and works great.

Edited by briansnat

I will post a pic as soon as you i get the unit, i had one of these for my legend it was awesome. but i did goto "SPORTS CHALET" and asked them for the one behind the case so i can fit it in the pelican case, fits inside good . If your not sure goto your favorite outdoors store and fit it to the 1030. i found this one in the scuba section . ill have a picture up on tuseday.

I purchased a padded cell phone case for mine. It protects the unit while I am not actually looking at it. I have never had any problems with pulling it out whenever I want to actually use it. I do have a shield on the screen though. I learned very early with my first GPS that the screen needs to be protected at all times. I got mine fro BSTRONG engineering.

I purchased a padded cell phone case for mine. It protects the unit while I am not actually looking at it. I have never had any problems with pulling it out whenever I want to actually use it. I do have a shield on the screen though. I learned very early with my first GPS that the screen needs to be protected at all times. I got mine fro BSTRONG engineering.

How does the BStrong one compare to the Invisble Shield one?

How does the BStrong one compare to the Invisble Shield one?

I've purchased both, and personally I found that the strong engineering protector "distorted" the image somewhat. I prefer the Invisibleshield when installed properly, but YMMV.

I have both cases.. and my 60cs is in the glisson case. it's way easier to access the external antenna and usb port with the gilsson case.... the garmin one is just not as convienent. i think the plastic over the directional circle button makes it kind of stick sometimes... as for dirt getting into the buttons.. nope.. unless you drag yours in the dirt i suppose.. I bought my 60cs when the first came out and mine still looks new! if you want i can sell you the garmin case at a slightly discounted price... since it's hardly used at all..all it has on it is a little dust!

search my old posts and you can see pics of the garmin case

the ribs are on the outside and yes there is room for foam. you dont have to force the antenna in .it just sets into place i gently placed a 9 volt battery on the gps unit to show the spacing. the battery is touching the top coverand the latch is closed.

IMG_0301.jpg

10-15$ is cheap insurance for a 400$ gps.

Edited by PAPAKI

I have a Garmin case for my 60cx. I use my GPS alot and have worn out the first case and just bought another. The outside surface of the clear plastic case got scratched up so badly that I couldn't see through it very well which proves that it's doing it's job. The only word of caution that I would give probably applies to all of the plastic cover type cases... keep the inside of the case clean! I take my GPS out of the case frequently (to put in my RAM mount and attach to PC) and it seems that dirt builds up on the inside of the case (lots of muddy, rainy treks) and it has permanently scratched the GPS screen. No serious scratches or gouges but definitely noticeable in certain light conditions. If anybody knows of a case that allows you to attach it to your PC or car mount without sliding it out of the case I'd be interested...

the ribs are on the outside and yes there is room for foam. you dont have to force the antenna in .it just sets into place i gently placed a 9 volt battery on the gps unit to show the spacing. the battery is touching the top coverand the latch is closed.

Thanks for all the pics! Looks like I probably *need* one of those. Do you think it would still fit in the Pelican case with the GPS inside the Garmin universal 'pouch' type case?

10-15$ is cheap insurance for a 400$ gps.

Is you unit an s-series with barometer? Just wonder if it will affect the barometer/altitude reading with it inside the watertight case. Although equipped with a valve, I believe it will only release excessive pressure inside the case whenit is over a certain level.