Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Team Neos

Community Service- Other Than In Emergencies

I teach Earth & Space Science in a high school. Naturally, when I talk about the nature and composition of the atmosphere, I include a discussion about how radio signals interact with the atmosphere. We always end up talking about how radio communications are so valuable during natural disasters and other large-scale public emergencies.

One story that I like to tell the kiddos is about the time my sister moved to Germany (her husband was in the service) and was able to have HAM operators contact my mother with short messages.

She only did this a few times, and it's been twenty years, so I don't remember many details, but if I remember right the HAM operators living near the Army base would volunteer to take a short message (contact details + something like "Hi Mom. We are all fine. Joey got his shots. We love you") and try to get it to the contact person. The messaged would be skipped along until it reached an operator who lived close enough to telephone the person being contacted without paying long distance charges. That radio operator would call Mom's house, identify her/himself, and pass along the message.

My students have never heard of something like that, and wonder if that kind of thing still happens, if it is common, etc. Can anyone tell me more?

And is there anything else you think I should tell my students?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, Ham radio operators still pass traffic even today. Community service and maintaining proficiency in communications is a good thing for Amateurs. You might find more information at the ARRL site or perhaps here.

This type of thing still happens quite often. My personel use of this system does not cover continents but just my state. I live in Wyoming and do lots of backcountry off roading and hiking. In remote areas where cell phones are NOT available. I do carry a ham radio with me and am alwyas able to get a hold of somebody. IT may not be in my state but every message I have sent to my mother has gotten to her within a few hours.

( I know, checkin in with mom, but IM still young, SHe worries)

I also work as a firefighter for a living. Once I was in Colorado on a large wildland fire (haymen). I was way back in the woods and rarely had access to a phone. So I was able to get a hold of some hams helping on the fire. I contacted them on my handheld and they sent the message to my home state where friends and family copied it and in turn told my mom that I was alive and well.

Brad

What you were describing was probably a MARS type communication, which stands for Military Affiliate Radio System (MARS).

Yes, they still operate today. To answer the question you placed in the title, Amateur radio is also used to servce in public saftey roles at events such as the Breast Cancer Walk(s), parades, marathons, bike races, etc. Other than the events above, all of which I have worked thru various amateur clubs, I even spent several years as a control op for some local horse trials near my home.

Any non-commercial purpose where communications is needed is a possibility and has probably been supported by hams at one point or another.

What you were describing was probably a MARS type communication, which stands for Military Affiliate Radio System (MARS).

Yes, they still operate today. To answer the question you placed in the title, Amateur radio is also used to servce in public saftey roles at events such as the Breast Cancer Walk(s), parades, marathons, bike races, etc. Other than the events above, all of which I have worked thru various amateur clubs, I even spent several years as a control op for some local horse trials near my home.

Any non-commercial purpose where communications is needed is a possibility and has probably been supported by hams at one point or another.

Thanks, that probably was exactly what she was using. I appreciate that link and the additional information as well.