First Cache In N.j.?

trail hound

Gerbil still active, gets a lot of attention, Davidson Cache by same hider couple of months later, which is near to Gerbil gets almost no attention, still active. Davidson I am guessing is being maintained by someone other than the hider. Davidson may be the toughest walking cache in NJ.

Gerbil still active, gets a lot of attention, Davidson Cache by same hider couple of months later, which is near to Gerbil gets almost no attention, still active. Davidson I am guessing is being maintained by someone other than the hider. Davidson may be the toughest walking cache in NJ.

I've been maintaining the Davidson cache. Just curious though, what is so tough about it? I recall it being an easy hike along an old woods road. Some finders actually have driven right up to it.

As far as oldest, there is this now archived cache that predates Gerbil:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...a8-a5a149accd15

As far as toughest walking cache in NJ (well 90 percent of it is in NJ), I think its the NY/NJ Multi State Multi Cache.

Edited by briansnat

BrianSnat

I kind of thought the only one who would be maintaining that cache would be you. The cache container is a dead give a way, neatly camoed and labled. The cache

Davidson Cache, just struck me as a long, long, long walk for some reason (maybe because I am getting old). People were able to drive to the cache site at one time. It is now illegal, in fact the site of the cache is where the shooting involving the ATV rider took place recently. While you are up there, please check on Microwave on High for 10 minutes cache, save me having to think about making that long, long , long walk again. There is a shorter way, but it is dismal.

Edited by Packanack

Great list. I see that Backyard Stash (GC172) in VA is on that list.

I can't believe that cache is still around. Thanksgiving morning 2001 we did that cache. Found the cache fine, but when we exited the woods, we had to take a short ride in a black suburban truck operated by the CIA and play 20 questions. :(

There's a couple government buildings nearby. If you read through some of the early logs you'll read some funny stuff.

It was about that time in my geocaching career that I realized the shortest route is not always the best. ;)

"And friends, somewhere in Washington enshrined in some little folder, is a

study in black and white of my fingerprints." :)

Davidson Cache, just struck me as a long, long, long walk for some reason (maybe because I am getting old)

It is a long walk. Most of it is quite pleasant until you get to the area around the cache. Its unsightly, but quite interesting. Its been a dumping ground for the locals for much of the last century.

Easy access via the pilpeline coming up from Ramapo Valley Reservation or for a much more pleasant walk, take the orange blazed Schuber trail to the Red/silver trail to Bear Swamp Lake. Its definitely a good afternoon of hiking. Bring your lunch and there are a number of other nice caches to hit along the way.

Here is a map. Davidson is off the top of the map, north of Bear Swamp Lake.

51bdc534-d9dc-4e84-8538-9adb95afb431.jpg

Edited by briansnat

I like the Halifax route up from the Reservation to what was once the Yellow trail which heads right to Davidson. I've also followed some of the other unmarked trails through the area up to the old farm site. It is a good hike but not that difficult. You just need the time available for a nice, long walk.

That said, I have to say that the area itself is kind of creepy...lots of shotgun shells and beer cans littering the area (not a good combination) and this was before the recent events up there. There are a number of rusted hulks of cars and other debris along the way for the amateur anthropologist to examine. The Davidson ruins are very interesting and I haven't fully explored that part of the park so I'll head back up there sometime. The problem with it being such a long walk is that each time that I've gotten there, it was time to head back so next time I will allocate plenty of time.

Brian, can you hook us up with this one.

According to the error page, this cache can't be displayed because it hasn't been archived yet. ???

So when are we (NJ) gonna place an original NJ stash plaque to place at this spot.

I wanna by the supply before the tax increase hits.

According to the error page, this cache can't be displayed because it hasn't been archived yet. ???

So when are we (NJ) gonna place an original NJ stash plaque to place at this spot.

The first listed cache in NJ was indeed gerbiL cacHe, reviewed by Jeremy himself.

There was an earlier cache, the one 'Snat listed, but it was never published. The cache container was a plastic bag, and the posted coords put it in the middle of someone's house. There are 2 parks within .1 mile of those coords, most likely the cache was hidden there, but there is no record of any attempt to correct the coords. There were few users of Geocaching.com in 2000, and early hiders who became inactive back then had their profiles taken over by Jeremy, so he would be the contact if a cache hide became a problem. No big deal back then, there were less then 100 caches in the world! But because of that, there is no history of the hider, since his profile resolves to Jeremy's.

Due to the way the site was set up back in 2000, even unapproved caches were also viewable by other cachers, if they knew or guessed the url. If a cache was not listed, it was supposed to be archived hidden. Some caches like the one Brian linked were archived wrong, and were findable by a search for archived caches until the mistake was noticed and corrected.

So go ahead and place the plaque at Gerbil. It's the first cache in NJ that was actually listed.

The first listed cache in NJ was indeed gerbiL cacHe, reviewed by Jeremy himself.

There was an earlier cache, the one 'Snat listed, but it was never published. The cache container was a plastic bag, and the posted coords put it in the middle of someone's house. There are 2 parks within .1 mile of those coords, most likely the cache was hidden there, but there is no record of any attempt to correct the coords. There were few users of Geocaching.com in 2000, and early hiders who became inactive back then had their profiles taken over by Jeremy, so he would be the contact if a cache hide became a problem. No big deal back then, there were less then 100 caches in the world! But because of that, there is no history of the hider, since his profile resolves to Jeremy's.

Due to the way the site was set up back in 2000, even unapproved caches were also viewable by other cachers, if they knew or guessed the url. If a cache was not listed, it was supposed to be archived hidden. Some caches like the one Brian linked were archived wrong, and were findable by a search for archived caches until the mistake was noticed and corrected.

So go ahead and place the plaque at Gerbil. It's the first cache in NJ that was actually listed.

Thanks for the clarificaiton. Thought I was going nuts. I used to be able to see that cache and had the link saved.

Yeah, but the shipping is absolutely ridiculous.

Yeah, I just bid on 4 cans. Shipping was $14 and my bid was $15. I won't go a penny above that though.

There were 10 cans and the shipping was almost $40. Bid was up to $59. Almost $100 for 10 cans :) . Someone is being taken to the cleaners.

S-4 Surplus in Hackensack usually has ammo cans, all the way in the back on right hand side.

I may run down there at lunch time this week. I will let you know.

But what was the oldest NJ Cache if not Gerbil ???? The link provided can't connect.

Edited by Packanack