Geocaching

How long do you think that Geocaching will stay Alive. It's an opinion that you would like to say and I believe Geocaching will go on until the last day....which basically forever. I believe it will grow even further and it will be really good. What do you think?

**I meant stay not say, sorry**

Edited by nastim24

How long do you think that Geocaching will stay Alive. It's an opinion that you would like to say and I believe Geocaching will go on until the last day....which basically forever. I believe it will grow even further and it will be really good. What do you think?

**I meant stay not say, sorry**

Remember: there were precursors to geocaching!

It's just the latest iteration of a genre of activities, driven by an evolution in technology. (some might say revolution - eg: affordable, portable GPSr's.)

Check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letterboxing

I suspect we could trace similar hobbies back through pre-history.

So, the short of it: geocaching or some variant of it will be here as long as human imagination can invent new games. :lol:

Depends a lot on how well we police ourselves... i.e. how often we do "questionable" hides in places where our sport gets a bad name because we come off looking like unsavories. Or how many searches result in trespassing and disturbance of private property. Or how many caches are placed without "adequate permission" and how we choose to define that.

The longevity of the sport is all about PR.

The bad things get a lot of attention. Good things do not. that is the way of the world.

If we want the sport to survive, we must be ever vigilant to accentuate the positive and weed out the negative.

IMHO, the most likely thing to KILL this sport is the issue of "adequate permission".

Searching for a cache is nherently "suspicious" in nature. If we are to survive, there will need to be SOLID permission requirements put in place and the "muggles" are going to need to be educated or at least informed that we and caches exist and are harmless- especially the "muggles" in charge of the areas where we place caches.

The easiest way to keep caches from being muggled is to keep their existence secret. For that reason we are inherently a clandestine bunch. But our attempts to keep the sport "secret" might well be our undoing.

We need to formulate a means of publicizing the game; so that people understand what we do; without compromising the hides. This is a difficult proposition.

I'm sure Geocaching will be around for a long time. I don't forsee it getting huge but staying about the same. Its sorta like the sport "Curling". There are still a lot of people out there who don't know what it is but enough to participate to keep it going.

How would you define 'huge' in this context? I believe that the 'game' has under gone significant growth over the past two years. Obviously this rate of growth is unlikely to be sustained for the next twenty years but in my opinion even 10 years of such growth would be pretty 'huge'. Who knows, it might even surpass curling in popularity some day. :lol::):)

Edited by Team Cotati

I'm going to guess the sport will be around for 43 years, 2 months, 12 days, 4 hours, 31 minutes and 44 seconds ... thats when the asteriod hits earth.

Got you scheduled on the "B" Ark, do they? :lol:

Along with the marketing consultants and telephone sanitisers. :)

I'm going to guess the sport will be around for 43 years, 2 months, 12 days, 4 hours, 31 minutes and 44 seconds ... thats when the asteriod hits earth.

Got you scheduled on the "B" Ark, do they? :lol:

Along with the marketing consultants and telephone sanitisers. :)

as long as i get to take a nice long bath...aaaaaahhhhh.

hand me my rubber duck, number 2? there's a good chap. :)

I'm sure Geocaching will be around for a long time. I don't forsee it getting huge but staying about the same.

How would you define 'huge' in this context? I believe that the 'game' has under gone significant growth over the past two years. Obviously this rate of growth is unlikely to be sustained for the next twenty years but in my opinion even 10 years of such growth would be pretty 'huge'. Who knows, it might even surpass curling in popularity some day. :lol::):)

While the numbers indicate growth they do not indicate how many people are active, how many are inactive, and how many gave up after a few finds. I am sure the game is still growing but not at the rate that the "numbers" appear to indicate. As with any sport, its participation is only going to be of interest to a certain demographic (although a wide inclusive one). While Geocaching may bring out a greater interest in some of the elements involved with the sport/game, it certainly isn't going to be something everyone wants to get involved with. For instance (vague generalizations follow):

The Geocacher

• Gets outdoor to participate even if it is only local urban micro.
  • Is atleast a little tech-savy (possibly because of thier involment).
  • Is excited about the idea of a "treasure hunt".
  • Likes being introduced to new places.

The Non-Geocacher

• May consider outdoors the time spent traveling from the car to the mall, theater, club, etc.
  • Is happy just to know how to use the universal remote.
  • Takes life too seriously.
  • May consider new places someplace to shop or eat.

Okay...I am taking too many liberties with the topic. :) You can add your own generalizations. I personally feel the greater majority of the population falls into a "non-geocacher" category and would never be interested no matter how much good press they might get exposed to.

I'm sure Geocaching will be around for a long time. I don't forsee it getting huge but staying about the same.

How would you define 'huge' in this context? I believe that the 'game' has under gone significant growth over the past two years. Obviously this rate of growth is unlikely to be sustained for the next twenty years but in my opinion even 10 years of such growth would be pretty 'huge'. Who knows, it might even surpass curling in popularity some day. :drama::D:ninja:

While the numbers indicate growth they do not indicate how many people are active, how many are inactive, and how many gave up after a few finds. I am sure the game is still growing but not at the rate that the "numbers" appear to indicate. As with any sport, its participation is only going to be of interest to a certain demographic (although a wide inclusive one). While Geocaching may bring out a greater interest in some of the elements involved with the sport/game, it certainly isn't going to be something everyone wants to get involved with. For instance (vague generalizations follow):

The Geocacher

• Gets outdoor to participate even if it is only local urban micro.
  • Is atleast a little tech-savy (possibly because of thier involment).
  • Is excited about the idea of a "treasure hunt".
  • Likes being introduced to new places.

The Non-Geocacher

• May consider outdoors the time spent traveling from the car to the mall, theater, club, etc.
  • Is happy just to know how to use the universal remote.
  • Takes life too seriously.
  • May consider new places someplace to shop or eat.

Okay...I am taking too many liberties with the topic. :D You can add your own generalizations. I personally feel the greater majority of the population falls into a "non-geocacher" category and would never be interested no matter how much good press they might get exposed to.

Other than eating, breathing, sleeping and golf what are the activities that "everyone" wants to get involved with? For example, do you think that the activity of geocaching will ever surpass the sport of curling in popularity? :ninja::);)

Edited by Team Cotati

Other than eating, breathing, sleeping and golf what are the activities that "everyone" wants to get involved with?

I can think of one but this forum is family friendly :ninja:

For example, do you think that the activity of geocaching will ever surpass the sport of curling in popularity? :):D:D

Dear God I hope so!! :drama:

If it is not growing at the rate which is indicated by the "numbers", at what rate is it growing?

I would be interested to find out myself :ninja: