Is It Possible To...

Excuse my ignorance of this procedure, but is it possible, with the Garmin 60Cx & CSx, to transfer a saved track log from the units internal memory to the data card or does it have to be saved there initially? I haven't figured it out yet. Can someone tell me how if it's do-able?

Excuse my ignorance of this procedure, but is it possible, with the Garmin 60Cx & CSx, to transfer a saved track log from the units internal memory to the data card or does it have to be saved there initially? I haven't figured it out yet. Can someone tell me how if it's do-able?

Once you have converted a tracklog to a "Saved Log" it is stored in the 60Cx/CSx internal memory like they used to pre-microSD card. The original tracklog would still exist on the microSD and with the beta firmware v.2.71 you can transfer all tracklog data from the card to your PC and do anything you need to in MapSource.

Now to get your saved track back onto the card, perhaps you can trick it by renaming it to follow the cards file naming convention such as "20060524.gpx" and copy/paste it onto the card when you are in the new USB mode (running v.2.71) on your 60x. Go to the main menu, and under Setup/Interface, there is the option for USB Device (or something like this. I don't have my Cx in hand).

[Ed] I just thought to mention that when you have saved a tracklog it drops time, distance (I think) and elevation data; it compresses the active tracklog. So, I have to ask, why would you want to put a saved track on the card? You can't use it as a track thru the menu. It would simply be sitting on the mircoSD card for eventual downloading.

Edited by Timpat

But when you try to save a track log back to the unit, you have no option of whether you want to save it to the unit's internal memory or the data card. Looks like Garmin should fix this issue immediately via a software update, huh?

Once you have converted a tracklog to a "Saved Log" it is stored in the 60Cx/CSx internal memory like they used to pre-microSD card. The original tracklog would still exist on the microSD and with the beta firmware v.2.71 you can transfer all tracklog data from the card to your PC and do anything you need to in MapSource.

Now to get your saved track back onto the card, perhaps you can trick it by renaming it to follow the cards file naming convention such as "20060524.gpx" and copy/paste it onto the card when you are in the new USB mode (running v.2.71) on your 60x. Go to the main menu, and under Setup/Interface, there is the option for USB Device (or something like this. I don't have my Cx in hand).

[Ed] I just thought to mention that when you have saved a tracklog it drops time, distance (I think) and elevation data; it compresses the active tracklog. So, I have to ask, why would you want to put a saved track on the card? You can't use it as a track thru the menu. It would simply be sitting on the mircoSD card for eventual downloading.

Have you actually loaded it yet to see if you can really transfer a previously saved track that's in the unit's internal memory , over to the data card?

But when you try to save a track log back to the unit, you have no option of whether you want to save it to the unit's internal memory or the data card. Looks like Garmin should fix this issue immediately via a software update, huh?

Ahhh, But check this out as of today with respect to Firmware 2.9 :( .

No, it is the same as 2.71, it just allows you to save the active log to the card.

I'm not sure of why anyone would want to transfer a seved track from the internal to card memory. transfering the OTHER way would be quite useful though.

Edited by Red90

I'm not sure of why anyone would want to transfer a seved track from the internal to card memory. transfering the OTHER way would be quite useful though.

You can. By going into the Setup/Interface and selecting USB Device, you can copy or move all your microSD card tracklogs as .gpx files to your PC, and open them in MapSource to do as you wish with them.

That is not what he asked. He wants to take a saved tack log and send it to the card. There is no option for that.

As I said, what would be usefull is the ability to transfer tracks that are on the card to the internal memory, so that you could view them. You can, of course, do this from Mapsource.

No, it is the same as 2.71, it just allows you to save the active log to the card.

Well, what I was trying to do was move existing saved track logs from the unit's internal memory (of which there's little), to the MicroSD card where there's plenty. This would free up as much internal memory as possible.

You can not use the internal memory for anything other than waypoint and tracklogs. The limit is 10000 active points in the log, 20 saved tracks at 500 points each and 1000 waypoints.

Are you wanting more than the 20 saved tracks? I'm just a little confused over what you are trying to achieve. What are you thinking freeing up the internal memory will do for you?

If it is just to keep all of the track data, you can choose to save the active logs to the card. This will then keep all off your track logs on the card. Realistically, you can nearly save indefintiely this way. I have everything for the last two months on mine and it takes up 3 MB.

Edited by Red90

You can not use the internal memory for anything other than waypoint and tracklogs. The limit is 10000 active points in the log, 20 saved tracks at 500 points each and 1000 waypoints.

Are you wanting more than the 20 saved tracks? I'm just a little confused over what you are trying to achieve. What are you thinking freeing up the internal memory will do for you?

If it is just to keep all of the track data, you can choose to save the active logs to the card. This will then keep all off your track logs on the card. Realistically, you can nearly save indefintiely this way. I have everything for the last two months on mine and it takes up 3 MB.

Is it possible to do this (for an example):

Lets say I just hiked a new trail and it was on active tracklog (saving to SD card). I want to clear up my active tracklog for my next hike, but i don't want to save it to internal - I want to save it to the SD so I can keep an infinite number (as long as I have SD memory) of tracks on my SD card.

How could I do that? I know in the SD setup page it has a box for SD tracks but I can't figure out how to get them onto that list! Is it ANOTHER firmware glitch in the 60CSX?

When the "save to card" box is ticked, all future track points are saved to a GPX file on the card as long as you have the tracklog turned on. It makes a new file for each day. It just keeps doing it until the card is full. This is a SEPARATE copy to the tracklog that is stored in internal memory.

Clearing the active log does not affect the tracks saved to the card. It is only affecting the internal memory copy of the log. The best setup is to set the tracklog to wrap when full and save to card. It will continue recording whenever the unit is on while saving to both internal memory and the card.