Cachestats 1.0

:D This program helped me fix an error in our stats!

When I ran the stats, it showed 399 caches but only 398 unique caches :) ! That prompted me to do a little research using GSAK and our caching photos.... sure enough, I had logged 2 different caches on the same cache page. Probably would have never fixed it without this program-- so thanks!

Great program, thanks so much. I got the stats on my profile now. The only problem I had is that Groundspeak only allows a certain # of characters per block and the html exported was longer than that. I had to split my stats between 2 blocks. It's not too hard to do, thanks to the options built into your proggie. Thanks again.

;) This program helped me fix an error in our stats!

When I ran the stats, it showed 399 caches but only 398 unique caches :lol: ! That prompted me to do a little research using GSAK and our caching photos.... sure enough, I had logged 2 different caches on the same cache page. Probably would have never fixed it without this program-- so thanks!

A somewhat non-obvious feature of CacheStats is that if you click the Favorites button, the caches that have more than one log will show how many logs in parentheses after the name. It's not a great solution because it's easy to miss when you have hundreds to sift through, but just thought I'd mention it. GSAK is probably the easier solution (someone else emailed me and mentioned that GSAK has a "number of logs" column that you can display and sort on).

I like this a lot and have added it to my profile page.

I have 17 finds that are considered duplicate. None of them were at temporary caches but all were on the scavenger hunt type locationless caches. These had different goals throughout the year and allowed you to log a find if met the goal and they were great fun.

The phrase "Most in 1 day: 13 (15 counting event temps)" doesn't really apply to me since they were not event temps. I wonder if it could be reworded to add "or multiple locationless” or something like that so that it reflects the activities of oddballs like me more accurately?

Again I want to say that Cachestats is great and I will share it with others in our community on our local forum.

Thanks. :)

I like this a lot and have added it to my profile page.

I have 17 finds that are considered duplicate. None of them were at temporary caches but all were on the scavenger hunt type locationless caches. These had different goals throughout the year and allowed you to log a find if met the goal and they were great fun.

The phrase "Most in 1 day: 13 (15 counting event temps)" doesn't really apply to me since they were not event temps. I wonder if it could be reworded to add "or multiple locationless” or something like that so that it reflects the activities of oddballs like me more accurately?

Again I want to say that Cachestats is great and I will share it with others in our community on our local forum.

Thanks. :anibad:

Good point, I'll try to come up with different wording. "Multiple finds" maybe? Not sure if that conveys the meaning or not, but I want something short.

In the meantime, don't forget you are free to change the wording when you paste into your profile. You just have to wade through the HTML to find the event temp phrase and then change it to whatever your want.

How did you that? I have a state from a locationless but we have not cached there and would like to remove it.

CacheStats doesn't include locationless caches in the states-cached list, or at least it shouldn't be. If you find one that is included, please let me know which cache - perhaps there is a bug. To remove a state, you will have to remove it from your pasted HTML - once in the list of states, and once in the URL to world66 which generates the map. That URL ends with something like this: ...statemap?visited=COWIMIILUTINOHPAWVMD

Each pair of letters designates a state. You will have to remove the 2 letter code of the state you no longer want to show.

Hope this helps.

Doug

If I looked at this right you must have pocket queries emailed to you to get the program to calculate your stats. Since you have to be a premium member to create a pocket query, is there any way for the program to track your stats if you are not a premium member?

You are correct that CacheStats relies on the pocket queries file. If you keep track of your finds using some other program such as GSAK, it's possible that you could export to a .gpx file and use that as input to CacheStats. Should work in theory, but I can't guarantee the results.

Nope, doesn't work. I tried and got a message that it doesn't appear the GPX was created by clicking on "My Finds". I was hoping it would work, because I can't generate that file again until Monday afternoon, and I wanted to update my profiles with the finds I got yesterday & today. :anibad:

If I looked at this right you must have pocket queries emailed to you to get the program to calculate your stats. Since you have to be a premium member to create a pocket query, is there any way for the program to track your stats if you are not a premium member?

You are correct that CacheStats relies on the pocket queries file. If you keep track of your finds using some other program such as GSAK, it's possible that you could export to a .gpx file and use that as input to CacheStats. Should work in theory, but I can't guarantee the results.

Nope, doesn't work. I tried and got a message that it doesn't appear the GPX was created by clicking on "My Finds". I was hoping it would work, because I can't generate that file again until Monday afternoon, and I wanted to update my profiles with the finds I got yesterday & today. :anibad:

Ditto, with a GSAK-generated gpx file.

As well as locationless caches, there are some non-locationless caches which can be regarded as armchair caches...the ability to exclude these from a stat output would be good too.

Looks like a really cool program! I can't wait to try it but I can't generate "My Finds" for another day or two. I built a new pocket query with just my finds and tried to use it but the program told me the GPX file didn't come from a "My Finds" query. I sure wish I would have saved my last query :laughing:

This is from the page where you download the program:

To generate the GPX file that CacheStats analyzes, go to your Pocket Queries page on geocaching.com, then click on "Add to queue" in the My Finds section. This will send an email to you with an attachment. Unzip the attachment and save the GPX file to your hard drive, then open it using CacheStats.

Tried to follow: ran PQ, received e-mail, unzipped the e-mail attachment, and found GPX file downloaded and saved in Cache Stats folder. However, when I open the GPX file, it appears in an EasyGPS window, not the Cache Stats window. When I try "Open with..." it doesn't list Cache Stats as a program even though I downloaded it and it has its own folders, one with the files (already unzipped, and one zipped version. I tried at least twice using the e-mailed files, but it won't let me open it with anything other than EasyGPS. Can you help? I must be doing something wrong.

To generate the GPX file that CacheStats analyzes, go to your Pocket Queries page on geocaching.com, then click on "Add to queue" in the My Finds section. This will send an email to you with an attachment. Unzip the attachment and save the GPX file to your hard drive, then open it using CacheStats.

Tried to follow: ran PQ, received e-mail, unzipped the e-mail attachment, and found GPX file downloaded and saved in Cache Stats folder. However, when I open the GPX file, it appears in an EasyGPS window, not the Cache Stats window. When I try "Open with..." it doesn't list Cache Stats as a program even though I downloaded it and it has its own folders, one with the files (already unzipped, and one zipped version. I tried at least twice using the e-mailed files, but it won't let me open it with anything other than EasyGPS. Can you help? I must be doing something wrong.

Don't double-click the GPX file. Run CacheStats. Then load the GPX file from within the program.

Don't double-click the GPX file. Run CacheStats. Then load the GPX file from within the program.

For some reason, my automatic Windows update didn't install the necessary .Net framework version even though it appeared to have done so. Finally I searched for the 2.0 version, found it, installed, and received the CacheStats program to run.

Really like the program! However, as you noted, if I include numerous favorites I run out of space. Even after I split them and put the favorites/map in the Hobby section and submitted, it gave me this error message: "Cannot create a row of size 8139 which is greater than the allowable maximum of 8060. The statement has been terminated." Guess I'll reduce the number of favorites or split another way.

Thanks for putting this together. It's nice for personal memories and goal-setting, numbers or not.

Looks like a neat program.

I noticed some folks complaining about the size of the HTML output. You could use relative paths when possible and remove the redundant widths in the tables. That would get you a little extra room for useful data.

I would have to be able to import files from GSAK before the program is useful for us. GSAK allows for multiple user finds, private finds, caches from other sites, etc. Displaying stats from only one user (team member) and only one site is not accurate for us. That's not to mention the ones we found, but refuse to log online.

...That's not to mention the ones we found, but refuse to log online.

I am VERY new to this hobby (1+ weeks). Why would you refuse to log a find online?

It's a long story, but suffice it to say the cache owner refused to allow me to post even a semi-accurate find. I found it, I own that find regardless of the power-trip the cache owner is on.

There are other reasons for not logging online. Some folks don't log online at all and for various reasons.

Worked for me.. In my export to GPX from GSAK, I had to uncheck the "includes" in the "File type to Generate" section.

Can we have a map of Canada and its provinces? (I actually have inserted it my self in my profile but) it would be nice if it could be generated from you program.

Edit: I pasted the link from World66 into my message box and that put the map above the stats.. which is ok for now.. but, would be nice to either have a 2nd box that would be below the stats.. or, have the choice to put the message box above or below the stats.

And thanks, it's a great tool! :blink:

Edited by GrosseFamille

Worked for me.. In my export to GPX from GSAK, I had to uncheck the "includes" in the "File type to Generate" section.

Hmm..didn't work here. What other settings are there in the export box.

GPX on.

I have waypoint name set to %smart (%code doesnt work either which I think is default)

Hmm..didn't work here. What other settings are there in the export box.

GPX on.

I have waypoint name set to %smart (%code doesnt work either which I think is default)

This is my exact setup for the export. And also, I'm using the latest GSAK version 6.6.2 (build 20) which is only available from the GSAK support forum.

gpxexport4qh.jpg

Yeh newest beta version here too, and with the exact same settings as above still no joy. Maybe some dodgy fields in the database... thanks for the screenshot though.

Just tried it myself and it worked (I'm using an older version of GSAK, 6.6.0). The key settings in the screen shot above are "limit number of logs to export: 0" and "always include my logs". CacheStats will stop loading as soon as it sees logs for different cachers since it doesn't know which one you want to gather statistics for.

Ok...I'm using a GPX file generated from a "show only my found" filter applied on a large database, not just a "My finds" PQ dumped into a new database in GSAK. Therefore, not all the caches will contain a log by me currently stored in the GSAK database ...which is probably causing the error.

The way to fix this is probably to merge it with a bona fide "My Finds" PQ, but will not resolve the need by some cachers (e.g CR) to let cachestats display finds not logged on gc.com. Why not let Cachestats have a "relaxed" option and just count the number of finds as the number of caches in a gpx, and not worry about interrogating the file for your logs? :rolleyes: I know that the FTF option needs to scan the logs.

Yeh newest beta version here too, and with the exact same settings as above still no joy. Maybe some dodgy fields in the database... thanks for the screenshot though.

Just tried it myself and it worked (I'm using an older version of GSAK, 6.6.0). The key settings in the screen shot above are "limit number of logs to export: 0" and "always include my logs". CacheStats will stop loading as soon as it sees logs for different cachers since it doesn't know which one you want to gather statistics for.

Sadly with the settings you quote it didn't work for me either :( . As others have said this program would be very useful if a GSAK generated GPX file could be loaded. :grin:

i used a gsak generated file and it worked. two things i noticed when i tried it though

1. make you you run the my finds filter before you export as gpx. ( didn't and the program recognized my finds but the numbers were very weird.

2. make sure you set the logs options in the export window to 0 logs and then check the always include my log check box. (it sounds counterintuitive but so are lots of things in life.)

good luck.

bwmick

i used a gsak generated file and it worked. two things i noticed when i tried it though

1. make you you run the my finds filter before you export as gpx. ( didn't and the program recognized my finds but the numbers were very weird.

2. make sure you set the logs options in the export window to 0 logs and then check the always include my log check box. (it sounds counterintuitive but so are lots of things in life.)

good luck.

bwmick

Folowing these instructions, I can generate the GPX file for CacheStats but the numebrs are wrong. Abiut the only thing correct is my total finds. I have only been geocaching a couple of weeks, so the dates should all be from this month.

results.jpg

Edited by markz68

could you also post a screenshot of gsak export screen perhaps a link to a copy of the gpx file that is exported?

I am curious now. As I can't recreate your issues here.

bwmick

Here is the export screen. I can't upload the GPX file anywhere, but can email it to you if you PM me your address.

results2.jpg

markz64

you aren't getting the rquired info because your gpx doesn't include your logs for some reason. Is gsak database up do date? have you run any PQ since you made your finds? if not update it then try again. you can also uncheck all of the check boxes top left if you like.

bwmick

markz64

you aren't getting the rquired info because your gpx doesn't include your logs for some reason. Is gsak database up do date? have you run any PQ since you made your finds? if not update it then try again. you can also uncheck all of the check boxes top left if you like.

bwmick

I logged the last of my finds before midnight last night. Then I ran the PQ with the default options except I requested 300 caches near my Zipcode and checked "active caches". I received it in email about 4:30am this morning. I import the GPX into GSAK with all the default options.

I have no idea why my logs are not included. Do you?

I logged the last of my finds before midnight last night. Then I ran the PQ with the default options except I requested 300 caches near my Zipcode and checked "active caches". I received it in email about 4:30am this morning. I import the GPX into GSAK with all the default options.

I have no idea why my logs are not included. Do you?

pm sent

hey markz68

you share a copy of gsak don't you?

in tools/options there is a space where you input the name of the user whos finds-hides you are looking for. you need to change that to markz68 and it will work a treat. otherwise you get the blank file that you were generating. tried it at my end and it worked just fine.

enjoy the hunt Bwmick

(let me know how it works)

edited to add: I sleep quick don't I

Edited by bwmick

GPX files only include a certain number of previous logs, so your log might not be included in the PQ. You will have needed to maintain a GSAK database with your log in each "found entry". Obviously, the "My Finds" PQ from gc.com contains each of your found logs.

hey markz68

you share a copy of gsak don't you?

in tools/options there is a space where you input the name of the user whos finds-hides you are looking for. you need to change that to markz68 and it will work a treat. otherwise you get the blank file that you were generating. tried it at my end and it worked just fine.

enjoy the hunt Bwmick

(let me know how it works)

edited to add: I sleep quick don't I

I don't understand what you mean by sharing a copy of GSAK. I am running it at home and at work. I haven't registered it yet though.

Which tab do I put my name in?

GPX files only include a certain number of previous logs, so your log might not be included in the PQ. You will have needed to maintain a GSAK database with your log in each "found entry". Obviously, the "My Finds" PQ from gc.com contains each of your found logs.

On all the find I have I am either the last one to log them or within 2-3 of being the last one. I am going to try deleting everything from GSAK and import my last "My Finds" PQ even though it is missing my last outing's finds. Then I will export it and see if the log data is there then.

while in gsak select ctrl a will open the options window.

the second data field on the left is titled "method for matching placed (hidden) and found caches. I have ticked the exact match radio button and then in the field below add your geocaching.com username (markz68). now when you export the data it will know to attach the log of markz68 in the export folder. when I did that here with the data you sent me it worked out just fine. here's hoping

Maingray all his logs are in his gpx files so in this case it is a non issue but may not be for others.

bwmick

Edited by bwmick

On all the find I have I am either the last one to log them or within 2-3 of being the last one. I am going to try deleting everything from GSAK and import my last "My Finds" PQ even though it is missing my last outing's finds. Then I will export it and see if the log data is there then.

Okay, the problem definitely is not in the data I am putting in. It is in the data GSAK is exporting. Now I need to find where Bwmick said to put my name.

while in gsak select ctrl a will open the options window.

the second data field on the left is titled "method for matching placed (hidden) and found caches. I have ticked the exact match radio button and then in the field below add your geocaching.com username (markz68). now when you export the data it will know to attach the log of markz68 in the export folder. when I did that here with the data you sent me it worked out just fine. here's hoping

Maingray all his logs are in his gpx files so in this case it is a non issue but may not be for others.

bwmick

Alright, that worked! Thanks so much for your help! Now I don't have to wait 7 days to update my profile!

And I will be registering this great program as soon as I save up a little from the startup costs of buying my GPSr and becoming a premium user here!

And in case anyone else has a problem, here is bwmick's screen grab showing what I needed to change:

scrshot.jpg

Edited by markz68