Do You Activate Coins You Are Keeping?

danoshimano

I received my first handful of geocoins a few weeks back, and I activated one of each that I planned to keep. The icons showed up in my "owned" trackables, and they also showed up in my inventory.

Now I see a problem coming: What happens when I have a whole bunch of these? My inventory list will be too long, and will make it difficult to manage travelling trackables that pass through my hands.

Then I started wondering if this is something that people even do. If it's on the "owned" side of my trackables, is it expected to be out there travelling? Or can that side of the trackables tab be an inventory list of my collection? If the latter, is there an acceptable way to get them out of my inventory list?

Looking for opinions.

Thanks

If you own a travel bug or coin you are the one that decides the goal of that trackable. If you want to just keep it in your collection or get mileage on it you can log it in and out of events or caches you visit. The control feature on the inventory drop down helps move several at a time instead of one at a time. Theres no need to worry about it messing up when you are moving a bug since it only drops the ones highlighted. I activate coins I plan to keep, that way if I decide later on to make it a travel bug and put it in the wild I can go back and give it a goal. You own them whether you activate or not, some don't activate so they can sell or trade them later. But that's the good thing about all this you decide.

Make up a Geocache page just like you would if you were placing one, but don't click the active tab. It stays on your page as an unsubmitted Geocache. We drop our coins into this cache. It gets them out of our inventory, and into one place! :blink:

Or, alternativly, drop all of your coins into one of your own archived caches. I had a discussion with our local approver and decided that putting my coins into an archived cache was the better option for me. Either way works, though.

CF30

We activate all of our geocoins, but that is mostly because we might decide to send out some of the ones that we are keeping for now. I don't want to run the risk of not being able to get a coin activated because it is too old.

What we do is put the coins we are keeping into a Travel Bug graveyard. But I kind of like the idea of putting them into an archived cache; maybe we'll do that from now on.

I activate them and take them to events for others to discover. I give away a lot of coins at events as well. To keep from have a monster inventory, I drop them in one of my archived caches. It is also a cache that was very close to home, so the coins get mileage back and forth. People at events enjoy seeing the collection and over 100 coins in an event draws people to the event as well. I try to buy two and keep one unactivated. Glen

Wow, am I one of a select few who actually activates every coin and then sends them into the world?

What good is a coin going to do ya sitting in a book somewhere?

I do like the idea of keeping a single personal coin and logging it at events and such. But why keep handfuls of coins in your desk drawer?

Wow, am I one of a select few who actually activates every coin and then sends them into the world?

I do like the idea of keeping a single personal coin and logging it at events and such. But why keep handfuls of coins in your desk drawer?

I guess it can be compared to a stamp collection or something. Personally I like the idea of all my coins being unactivated. It gives me the flexibility that if I ever do want to get rid of one then the new owner will be able to activate it himself. Yeah it seems silly just having them in a book and not activating them for the icons or something but it's just personal preference. I like the idea of having the collection.

Edited by graylling

No...I activate all of mine to support others who like me like to collect icons too. (Oh, but you have to see them in person to log/"discover" them) :cry:

Edited by The Blind Acorn

It is going to satisfy a hard-coded human instinct to collect. Other animals exhibit this behaviour as well.

Few formal collectors just keep their collections hidden away. Personally, I collect coins. I have three coin collections on the go, and now a fourth with geocoins . One of my coin collections (non-geocaching related) is HERE. There are many ways to share collections with others.