Wanted: Creative Theme For Cache

Here's one I'm working on. Use it or any part of it if you like.

I call it a masquerade cache.

Inside the cache is a cache camera for cachers who find it to take their pictures.

But also in the cache are disguises, like funny hats, glasses, wigs, mustaches, masks, etc. for cachers to dress up with.

Put a log sheet with the camera for visitors to sign next to a number when they take a picture to help identify them.

Here's one I'm working on. Use it or any part of it if you like.

I call it a masquerade cache.

Inside the cache is a cache camera for cachers who find it to take their pictures.

But also in the cache are disguises, like funny hats, glasses, wigs, mustaches, masks, etc. for cachers to dress up with.

Put a log sheet with the camera for visitors to sign next to a number when they take a picture to help identify them.

Wow. That IS creative. I really like that one.

Anybody else?

Whoa I like that idea too!

I'm kinda dull when it comes to the creative side, but I've been thinking about one where you have to fish for it. Yup, there's a lake up the street you can fish at, and I was thinking about putting a sealed bucket with a huge hook on it that the cacher fishes for.

99% chance it's not gonna happen though *sigh*

IF it's even legal in the sport.

-Eric

Oh and also is anyone else having problems with GC.com today? I can't get to the second page of my cache locating results, and I just found out I can't add smillies.

I head about a cache that was secured to the bottom of a floating plastic duck in a lake. It could be reeled in by a rope on the shore.

As for other creative caches, there are endless options in books and movies. We were thinking of hiding a Sherlock Holmes cache that would require the solving of a mystery we wrote, or maybe knowledge of famous Holmes cases.

He Man Micro Haters Club - initiation cache - AKA Uncle Wallys backyard adventure. I enjoy nosing through the forums and I got this idea after reading through a thread complaining about micros in Walmart parking lots so I decided to play using that idea.

The parking waypoint is in the middle of the local Walmart parking lot, and there were a few other things that I played with.

I did get a few not so nice emails about it but that was half the fun.

edited to add - Smile completely based on the the smiley thing and where the smileys came from. If you want a smile from me on this cache you are gonna earn it

Edited by bogleman

One idea that I have toyed with is to make a multi cache where each stage requires you to look at a 3D Magic Eye type image and use that to get the coordinates for the next stage. There are images you can find on the internet to use (or buy a Magic Eye book and cut out the pages needed).

For coordinates, you may require the cacher count the number of a particular item in the image (ie. number of horses, number of wheels on cars, number of ears etc.) and use info that for the next waypoint.

Some people have trouble seeing 3D images, so you might include a sample in your listing (yes they do stand out on a PC screen). Hopefully your waypoint images won't get muggled, but I am sure you can figure out a way to minimize that.

A nice multi stage hike in the hills would make it best.

I'm currently working on 2 themed caches. They will be my 1st and 2nd hidden caches.

The 1st one is a history theme about my hometown and the town I now live in. Seekers will have to answer questions about my hometown and the town I live in now to get coordinates to the cache.

The 2nd one is based on music. It will be a 3 stage multi. Seekers will have to search the internet to get information about 3 listed singers and/or groups. They will use that information to figure out the stages.

I like the easy theme of music, and the primary trade item are usable CD's... bring some music you don't listen to anymore, and take someone else's old stuff.

I was thinking about doing a toolbox cache... I have an old metal tool box thatI have no need for... and was going to place it and ask that only tools be left (of course kids play tools are ok)

I don't know if you would expactly consider it a "creative theme" for caches, but I am in the process of having my latest hides published. It is in honor of my "cachedate's" 50th birthday. I have hidden a total of 50 caches, 90% ammo cans. They are hidden in sets of 7, 6 regular caches and 1 mystery cache - each regular has one of the numbers for coordinates for the mystery cache. Each mystery cache has a number in it to find the last cache #50 the ultra mystery cache (you have to find all the regular caches to find the mystery caches and you have to find all the mystery caches to find the ultra mystery cache). Each set is confined to a local park so you don't have to drive all over creation to find 7 caches - you do get to do plenty of walking! I am releasing these to coincide with a local event - that way we eliminate the controversy of anyone logging temporary caches! It has been a ton of work though and only possible with the cooperation of our reviewers (as far as releasing caches on a certain date). I did contact them in the planning stages of my project and they had many helpful suggestions. We have wonderful approvers in WI!