I Need Some Opinions On Our Samples

UOTrackers

We received 2 samples today, and I am just not sure about something so I figured I'd post some pictures and get some opinions from you geocoin efficianados. The coins are great as is, just not the way they were meant to be. On the Street Sign side, the sign is elevated and cut off. It was supposed to be elevated but into a recessed ring, so that it would look like the sign disappeared into the ring. Please let me know what you think, I tried to take a couple pictures to really show the detail of it. LEave them as is? Or have the signs set into the ring as planned?

streetangled.jpg

signelevation.jpg

streetoverhead.jpg

The other side looks great!

frontoverhead.jpg

Thanks for your help with this!

If they aren't done they way you like them, by all means, have them fix it til you are happy. After all, it is YOUR personal coin.

BTW I like em either way, nice looking coin!

If you decide do do any trading, let me know. :huh:

We're taking a break in trades until the coins arrive, mostly so we can afford to ship all the trades ;) I'll repost in the trading thread when we start again and in the mean time feel free to send me an email and I"ll put it in the pending folder.

If they aren't done they way you like them, by all means, have them fix it til you are happy. After all, it is YOUR personal coin.

I agree. ;)

After all, this is what the samples are for. To see if what the mint has designed meets what you have in mind.

Since I do some coin designing, I can envision what you are wanting to do. I personally think you will be happier by making them update them.

In the sign shop I deal with people on a daily basis decifering what they have in mind and trying to design to make it look like what they want.

Sometimes we can nail it right the first time, or come up with something better than what they were expecting.

BUT, 9 times out of 10, if someone comes in and says something to the effect of "Well... It's not exactly... what I wanted... BUT... I guess it'll be OK" and will not give us any feedback to improve the design, we will hear back that they weren't happy with it.

If right out of the box you are trying to convince yourself that you like it, YOU WILL NEVER BE TRUELY HAPPY WITH IT!!

Trust me, "Been there, Done that, Bought the T-shirt!!" :blink::huh::(

D-man :huh:

Edited by gridlox

I agree. :(

After all, this is what the samples are for. To see if what the mint has designed meets what you have in mind.

Since I do some coin designing, I can envision what you are wanting to do. I personally think you will be happier by making them update them.

In the sign shop I deal with people on a daily basis decifering what they have in mind and trying to design to make it look like what they want.

Sometimes we can nail it right the first time, or come up with something better than what they were expecting.

BUT, 9 times out of 10, if someone comes in and says something to the effect of "Well... It's not exactly... what I wanted... BUT... I guess it'll be OK" and will not give us any feedback to improve the design, we will hear back that they weren't happy with it.

If right out of the box you are trying to convince yourself that you like it, YOU WILL NEVER BE TRUELY HAPPY WITH IT!!

Trust me, "Been there, Done that, Bought the T-shirt!!" :blink:;):huh:

D-man ;)

What HE said! Although we like them as is too! GREAT looking coin! :huh:

It might be good to post your artwork for us here.

There was a small error on the admin brick. It wasn't too bad so I let it go. I did not notice until it got to the sample part either. It was minor and so I let it go. My web site is actually suppose to be on the back under the tag line. Not so bad and the coins looked hot to me so I let it go.

Don't let it go if it doesn't feel right. I know you want the coins soon, but as gridlox said so well, make sure you are happy with it.

It might be good to post your artwork for us here.

There was a small error on the admin brick. It wasn't too bad so I let it go. I did not notice until it got to the sample part either. It was minor and so I let it go. My web site is actually suppose to be on the back under the tag line. Not so bad and the coins looked hot to me so I let it go.

Don't let it go if it doesn't feel right. I know you want the coins soon, but as gridlox said so well, make sure you are happy with it.

Here's the original artwork Fox and the Hound did, and below it the artwork returned by the minter.

coin_tails_side_copy.jpg

UOTrackers_coin02.jpg

More than likely I will have it redone, so that I am happy. I have till tomorrow since the mint is closed today so I thought getting some other's opinions would help. I don't mind the time so much, but I dont want the ones I've traded with upset because it added another 10 days to it. I'm glad I got the samples though, what a pain this would be if I saw it with the finished product!

We received 2 samples today, and I am just not sure about something so I figured I'd post some pictures and get some opinions from you geocoin efficianados. The coins are great as is, just not the way they were meant to be. On the Street Sign side, the sign is elevated and cut off. It was supposed to be elevated but into a recessed ring, so that it would look like the sign disappeared into the ring. Please let me know what you think, I tried to take a couple pictures to really show the detail of it. LEave them as is? Or have the signs set into the ring as planned?

streetangled.jpg

signelevation.jpg

streetoverhead.jpg

The other side looks great!

frontoverhead.jpg

Thanks for your help with this!

I'll take one as it is and if you change it I'll probably take one of those as well.

From above, it looks like the artwork. It does look good, and different IMHO. At this point, it will probably cost you for a new die if you want that side redone (I would guess), so I guess you have to decide how much you like it. Ultimately, with a personal, you are the person you have to please. :blink:

--Marky

I'm on my 4th change & now need a die change as well ...but it's really important to get what you want!

PS I'd love one of your as well ,when you are trading

Dang, I should have mentioned that I'd love to trade with you when you get your coins in.

--Marky

I'd like to trade too, so I guess I'll have to keep an eye out when you start doing it again.

But not to go off topic....

As has been said, it's your coin, and you have to be happy with it. They look nice as is, and anyone else would probably think so. But only you know what you had in mind, and if it's not what you want but go head anyway, then you may wish later you'd spent the $70 for a new die to get it perfect.

I spearheaded a local coin that's just gone to mint, and while I think everyone else was happy with the original artwork adaption that came back from the mint, I had them make some corrections, and then another, because as the main designer and the person updating the artwork I caught things that I knew weren't what I wanted. There's still one little thing I wish could be different, which only appeared after the final correction, but it's a problem with the font I used and is more of an illusion than something real. Since we were hoping to have the coins for an event I finally decided it was time to send it and to restrain my perfectionism, and no one else will probably even notice it when it's shrunk to a 1.5" coin.

To others the coin will be what it is, but to the designer it will always be compared to the mental image that was sought.

Edited by islander1988

Forget the diplomacy angle of "the coins look great as is". You'll be happier with them fixed. The coins will go from being "quite nice" to "Exceptionally nice" with the fix. The sign looks broken in the current version, rather than extending below the surface. Samples are for approving the final product. You shouldn't have to pay any extra for the mint to set-up the die properly. The artwork seems to indicate the way you wanted it in the first place.

Nice design.

As one of the individuals you setup a trade with, I have no problem waiting a few weeks for your coin. I also don't think anyone else will have a problem waiting, you explained the situation with your sample coins and we appreciate that. Just remember this is your personal coin, you may never mint another, so why not have them done the way you want, don't settle for something you think might eventually grow on you.

You'll be happier with them fixed. ... The sign looks broken in the current version, rather than extending below the surface. ... Nice design.

Agree the sign(s) looks broken. The double-point perspective effect looks really cool, but the intersecting signs look incomplete -- "broken" as pdxmm said. The signs don't seem to disappear into the surface, rather look like they're cut off.

Also agree you'll be happier if you get 'em made the way you want 'em and that it is a sweet design.

©¿©¬

You will be a lot happier if you get them fixed.

We had a bit different experience...our samples were perfect, but when the whole 500 coin order came in they were all wrong. We had the option to get them fixed or some money back....it was a struggle for us. We went back and forth about it.....but decided we needed them fixed. The mint fixed them and now I am so happy. I just know if we had not fixed them then everytime I looked at them all I would see is the error.

So I say fix them...because if you don't everytime you look at them all you will see is how wrong they are.

I'd like to thank everyone for their perspectives, it did help a lot. I like to make other people happy so I was thinking quite a bit about the trades, the fact that I promised they'd be in at the end of the month. But everytime I look at the coin I am disappointed so I'll be having them fixed. Luckily it will not cost me a thing, I was guarenteed satisfaction, so even though they are in production mode they will redo it. Also lucky for me we found a really nice guy to deal with and his prices were comfortable enough for us. We've asked for several changes over the period leading up to now and each one was met with a very courteous agreement, helpful suggestions and promt replies. We even asked to add on a couple extra special coins and were pleasantly surprised to find it would only add an additional $20 to our already affordable $810. So if I am allowed to say it, talk to Rusty at Personal Geocoins if you need some nice new trade items!

As for our trades, don't worry we will do a second round of trades once the coins are actually here. I've set up a seperate email folder for second round trading for anyone interested just send me an email and once the coins are here I will start replying to them. We have a seeking list but I will say that we especially like personal coins and LOVE to hear the stories behind them. I've gotten some really interesting emails about how cachers got their names, why their coin has certain items on them and so on and so forth, it's really quite neat and fun way to get to know someone!

Thanks again to everyone!