Explorist 600

i use an explorist 200 for work (forest service surveying) and am pretty impressed with the accuracy of it. for placing and finding points, its more accurate than any garmin or lowrance ive used. ive placed waypoints and have been able to come back later and find it consistently within 1 foot give or take. :huh:

im thinking about getting a 600 for myself but need to know if magellan (or someone else) has made a AA battery adapter for it instead of the rechargeable crap. wont buy one if thats all it comes with.

If you have access to a vehicle daily, this is enough to charge your 400/500/600. Many of us also have the replacement batteries which can be had for $10 or less.

If you are still not convinced, get the 210 which uses AAs and, like the above, has USB for loading maps and waypoints. You can also move tracks to your PC.

FWIW,

www.tigergps.com has the backup battery pack for the explorist series.

Burt

This is really interesting. I didn't know the thing was ever released. Magellan doesn't list it under the accessories for the 400. Link to product at TigerGPS. They don't have a picture of it. Anyone try this yet? This could be a nice alternative to the cheap Motorola t720 batteries on eBay. I wonder how the battery life would compare.

Yeah, that's a bit of a stealth product...[obviously] the first I've seen of it.

This may address at least some of the concerns of those who reject the Li-Ion rechargeable. However, I think that the replacement batteries will have longer life. I'm a little cobwebby in how all the numbers go together--so someone set me straight on this if I'm wrong.

But the highest mAh rating I see on rechargeable NiMH AAAs at Thomas Distributing is 900. My recollection/deduction is that the three batteries are combined to boost the voltage, not the Mah rating (I note the original Magellan Li-Ion is rated at 3.7v and 1300mAh. So the AAAs will give you 900 mAh, while the Motorola battery is still 1100 mAh.

A spot check for Alkaline AAAs found some at 1150 mAh, so I guess they're in the ballpark. Personally, I avoid Alkalines if at all possible in favor of rechargeables because of cost and landfill concerns.

If someone purchases one I would love to see a picture. I wonder if it actually allows AAA batteries in the compartment or is it like the Boxwave one?

I guess we need a visual to see for sure, but since it's AAA I'm pretty sure it is the talked-about clip that goes inside the unit, replacing the Li-ion. If it was a Boxwave-like external arrangement, I'd expect them to go with the larger-capacity and more standard AAs. AAA's are the size compromise to fit inside the existing space.

I have the AAA battery clip. It's an internal clip (you can close the original hatch over it). I have not yet tried the battery time.

It must have been out in the US for a while, I bought mine in Europe.

There you go, it really excists.

Would it be possible for you to post a picture of it? I hate to purchase something without seeing it. Thanks in advance!!

burt and geognerd:

thanks for finding this and posting it. I ordered one of these, and will post some tests of battery life. Anyone else, please post your life numbers.

Embra has some good points about this making the units more flexible with regard to power.

Since there are three batteries, multiply the volts times the capacity to get a better idea of the total power of the battery pack/batteries. So, 1.2V times 3, at the 900 to 1150 mAh are going to be close but somewhat under the OEM battery pack at 3.7V, 1300 mAh.

Yeah, that's a bit of a stealth product...[obviously] the first I've seen of it.

This may address at least some of the concerns of those who reject the Li-Ion rechargeable. However, I think that the replacement batteries will have longer life. I'm a little cobwebby in how all the numbers go together--so someone set me straight on this if I'm wrong.

But the highest mAh rating I see on rechargeable NiMH AAAs at Thomas Distributing is 900. My recollection/deduction is that the three batteries are combined to boost the voltage, not the Mah rating (I note the original Magellan Li-Ion is rated at 3.7v and 1300mAh. So the AAAs will give you 900 mAh, while the Motorola battery is still 1100 mAh.

A spot check for Alkaline AAAs found some at 1150 mAh, so I guess they're in the ballpark. Personally, I avoid Alkalines if at all possible in favor of rechargeables because of cost and landfill concerns.

Correct. Three 1.5v/900mAh cells in series gives you 4.5v/900mAh output. Place those same three cells in paralell and you've got a 1.5v/2700mAh battery. I'd skip the alkaline cells entirely and go for Lithium, but thats just me....

I have the AAA battery clip. It's an internal clip (you can close the original hatch over it). I have not yet tried the battery time.

It must have been out in the US for a while, I bought mine in Europe.

There you go, it really excists.

Would it be possible for you to post a picture of it? I hate to purchase something without seeing it. Thanks in advance!!

It's a piece of plastic that fit's three aaa batteries inside (much like the "slide" for a SporTrak).

I'll take a picture on monday (I left my digi cam at work).

There once was a picture of a AAA clip case for the eXplorist 400/500/600, and it is gone from the Internet now. It was a clip case that held 3 NiMH AAA's to total 3.6 volts, and about 850mah.

Of course you meant 850 EACH. http://www.thomas-distributing.com/aaa-nimh-batteries.php :ph34r::P:P

Its been mentioned before but the mA/hr rating doesn't change when you connect the batteries in series. So in this case whatever the individual battery rating is rated at, than thats what your rating will be, not 3 x 850

Edited by D0T-C0M

I received my adapter last week just before heading out for the weekend. I just now had a chance to test the battery life and its seems about 3.5 hours w/out back ight. I thought I would get closer to 8 hours. Anyone else have a chance to test theirs?

I received my adapter last week just before heading out for the weekend. I just now had a chance to test the battery life and its seems about 3.5 hours w/out back ight. I thought I would get closer to 8 hours. Anyone else have a chance to test theirs?

Escout reported in the other thread he got 11.5 hours with three AAAs. What kind of batteries were you using (and what mAH, if any noted, were they)?

Escout reported in the other thread he got 11.5 hours with three AAAs. What kind of batteries were you using (and what mAH, if any noted, were they)?

Regular Duracell AAA's from Costco.

I've got my adapter on order from RadioOutfitter.com $6 USD there. We'll see what UPS does to me over the shipping across an international border thing. It'll be nice to have a fallback position for the 24 Hour Geocaching marathon coming up in a month.

Also - one can purchase AAA batteries, fully charged, just about anywhere - like backcountry outfitting stores. This means I can actually consider taking the eXplorist camping. I recently left my 600 at home and took an old eTrex to Mexico over recharging concerns.