Geocache..not Puzzlecache

TinRibs

No don't take this wrong....I know a lot of people LOVE the puzzles in the caches. They actually LOOK for them! And a lot of people spend an endless amount of time thinking up their clever little schemes. But I think many of us know how frustrating it is to be out trying to save a tree by paperless caching and drive an extra mile or two out of the way only to find out that you don't have all the info you need to even begin to look for a cache.

I would like to propose a new designation on the "filter" list at least for pocket queries that would tell you if something was a puzzle cache and not a straight forward seek and find.

Sure save me a lot of grief.

Just a thought....

TinRibs :huh:

I don't get the Puzzle caches in my PQs. I uncheck that box, as well as the box for Web Cams, since I don't have a cell phone.

I do get one PQ for just the Puzzles and that one goes into a separate database in GSAK so I have it just in case I am caching with people who have figured out the puzzle and I get to siogn the log and then log it online.

But that also means that it will not return "bonus" caches. I don't know if this is done elsewhere in the country, but some people will put out a series, and you collect information from each cache, the final is actually an unknown cache. So if you look for a series with an unknown cache as the final, then you won't get that in your PQ.

And that is why I would like to see a separate - Puzzle only - designation. (I love puzzles!)

Edited by MustangJoni

What "box" do you uncheck for puzzles????

To avoid getting puzzle caches returned in you PQs, specify "Selected types", and make sure the "Unknown Cache" type is not checked:

unknown_caches_unckecked.gif

Assuming, of course, that the cache owner classified the cache as "Unknown".

Then again, I've done a number of "Unknown" caches that were not puzzles.

What "box" do you uncheck for puzzles????

To avoid getting puzzle caches returned in you PQs, specify "Selected types", and make sure the "Unknown Cache" type is not checked:

<image snipped>

Assuming, of course, that the cache owner classified the cache as "Unknown".

Then again, I've done a number of "Unknown" caches that were not puzzles.

True. Any PQ filtering by type, container, difficulty, terrain, or attribute is only going to work for caches that are accurately described by the cache owners.

Wow, harsh, but that wasn't the point I was making.

The point was that a PQ like that might exclude part of a series.

I do know how to fix it. I was pointing out the issue because some people run PQ on an area, and if they exclude unknowns they might not pick up the final in the series.

And, being a one who loves puzzles, I'd like to be able to run a query that only had them.

"Wow, harsh, but that wasn't the point I was making."

No, the point I was making is that sometimes I don't want to deal with puzzle caches. I don't have morse code or sign language info with me, or I don't want to spend an hour trying to figure out someone's secret code or the pictures they include with their cache description don't come through on my PQ. Or maybe I only have a couple of hours and don't want to spend it all on one cache.

Checking not to include ? caches, doesn't exlcude a lot of them and does exclude some things that are not necessarily puzzles, maybe it's just a mystery container.

I go out caching to be outside, walk and enjoy nature. I have MS and I'm allergic to the sun too, so sometimes I really have to pick and choose what I can do.

Thanks for all your comments. I'll just have to do more prep time.

TinRibs

...include with their cache description don't come through on my PQ.

Why not take a few seconds and read the description in your PDA before you head to the next cache? That way, if it says something about a puzzle to solve, or begins with the often used words, "The cache is not at the above coodinates" then you can pick another cache to go to.

Without someone going through the entire database of existing caches and marking them as puzzles, AND all the future hiders marking the future caches appropriately, there won't be a better way to filter out puzzles.

Checking not to include ? caches, doesn't exlcude a lot of them and does exclude some things that are not necessarily puzzles, maybe it's just a mystery container.

There's no reason it shouldn't exclude the vast majority of them (and, despite what you say, I would bet that it does). If you know of any puzzles that are labeled as traditional, you should inform your local reviewer.

But I think many of us know how frustrating it is to be out trying to save a tree by paperless caching and drive an extra mile or two out of the way only to find out that you don't have all the info you need to even begin to look for a cache.

If you've got the coordinates, why don't you have the entire listing? I bring everything into GSAK and then only export my hitlist to Mapopolis and and GPXSonar. They both contain the same caches. The only difficulties are with puzzles which require special work, but those are clearly indicated in GSAK, Mapopolis and GPXSonar. If the puzzle can be solved at home, I enter the final coordinates as corrected coordinates in GSAK. If a multi remains unfinished, I also enter the next coordinates as corrected coordinates in GSAK.

I was pointing out the issue because some people run PQ on an area, and if they exclude unknowns they might not pick up the final in the series.

If I am working a series, I am always sure to add the entire series to my hitlist (but all the data is in GSAK, just not in my user-flagged list). For unfinished multis I often add extra entries in GSAK for each stage - especially on caches where the stages' coordinates are known from the original page - I usually convert these to multiple waypoints in GSAK (manually) so I don't have to enter them later in the field.

No, the point I was making is that sometimes I don't want to deal with puzzle caches. I don't have morse code or sign language info with me, or I don't want to spend an hour trying to figure out someone's secret code or the pictures they include with their cache description don't come through on my PQ. Or maybe I only have a couple of hours and don't want to spend it all on one cache.

I was trying to be helpful, and point out that you might exclude something you might not want to exclude since a wide variety of caches are included in the "unknown" category. I respect that not everyone loves puzzles like I do, but some unknown caches are not all puzzles, and it might be the ending to the series that you just spent a couple of hours on, and don't have the cache page, because you didn't include it in your pq, and it didn't get loaded into your palm.

Just an observation. And making puzzles a different category would be helpful to both you and I.

Edited by MustangJoni

OK, I will try to be less harsh this time.

The Unknown cache type is meant to be used for those caches whose listed coordinates are not the actual coordinates of any container. I know there are exceptions to the rule, but those should be the minority.

As a result, Unknown caches require you to look at the description before heading out. If you are generating a pocket query for caches where you are just going to go out and find some, it is best not to include Unknown caches.

Complaining that you have puzzle caches included in your pocket query makes no sense, since excluding them is trivial.

My recommendation is that you create a bookmark list of all Unknown type caches for which you have the coordinates. Maybe you got those coordinates by solving a puzzle, or finishing a series. Maybe the cache is one of those exceptions for which the listed coordinates are the coordinates of the cache. It doesn't matter; in every case you need to look at the listing for this type of cache before you go out hunting it. Since you have already gone to the cache page, adding it to a bookmark list is completely trivial.

So then you make a PQ from your bookmark list, and you can combine it with your regular PQs to have an overall database that consists only of caches with useful coordinates.

I first developed this technique when I discovered that my PQs frequently did not include puzzle caches that I had solved because the posted coordinates of the cache were outside the PQ search area, even though the cache location itself was inside the area of interest. It works quite well. Now I don't have to worry about whether or not I have solved a puzzle cache that appears in my GPS; if it's in my query, I have, by definition, solved it.

The only annoyances I have are that the bookmark functionality does not make it easy to delete the bookmark when I find the cache, and it is also not possible to move a bookmark from one list to another. But I am confident that those problems will eventually be addressed.

Creating a completely new cache type is massive overkill for an easily manageable problem.

Edited by fizzymagic

Personally, I keep two databases in GSAK -- one for unknown caches and one for everything else. I copy both of these to cachemate on my palm as well.

When I solve an unknown cache (whether it be solving a puzzle or determining that the coordinates are actually the starting location for a hunt), I'll update the coordinates (if necessary) and move it into a thrid database -- solved puzzles.

Every time I go caching, the everything else database and the solved puzzles database go to my GPS. The unknown cache database NEVER gets sent to my GPS. These are unsolved and not ready to be hunted.

I also use different icons on the GPS for different cache types. I'm more likely to go out of my way for a puzzle that I've worked hard to solve. I'm less likely to do a multi when I'm in a hurry. A quick glance at the GPS tells me what I have available nearby, categorized by icon.

There are a FEW caches that are categorized as a traditional cache but are not at the listed coordinates. I think the best answer here is to email the owner and see if they can have a reviewer help them change the cache type. Fortunately, they are few and far between, not the norm.