Women Cachers

I discovered this, I love this, I want to do this.

My DH has done all of them with me and the kids, but I think he's only doing it b/c he doesn't want us out in the woods alone. He doesn't complain, BUT I'd like to do alot more than he is willing to, when we go out he's only up for 1 or 2.

Are there any women that do this alone, it seems like a man thing, but just curious if I'd be the odd ball out there??

My DH has done all of them with me and the kids, but I think he's only doing it b/c he doesn't want us out in the woods alone. He doesn't complain, BUT I'd like to do alot more than he is willing to, when we go out he's only up for 1 or 2.

Are there any women that do this alone, it seems like a man thing, but just curious if I'd be the odd ball out there??

go for it. just be aware of your surroundings. there are plenty of gals out there. :P

My wife and I go out together with the kids. I have to admit that once I get us to the location, she can usually spot the cache before me! For us it is a team play - but I definately do not see why you could not cache alone. Of course it would be couteous to tell him where you will be. (Which is no more than I would expect out of anybody wandering off in the woods - tell somebody where you are going)

My DH has done all of them with me and the kids

Designated Hitter, Darling Husband, Duck Hater, Dumb Hass? j/k

Just be aware of your surroundings, carry some sort of protection, and enjoy the great outdoors. It's not just a man thing...

Ok, this is a good time for me to ask a silly question. Goodness, it's been a long time since I felt like a newbie. What does DH exactly stand for? I know in general, but not exactly. :P Thanks.

Dear Husband, or Darling Husband.

I cache alone sometimes, but I take my big dog with me. Be careful, be aware of who's around you, and if something doesn't feel right, leave! Like the time I parked at a trailhead to cache and saw a lone guy in a pickup just sitting there. So I sat there for 5 minutes while he kept glancing at me. I took off!!

I cache alone sometimes, but I take my big dog with me. Be careful, be aware of who's around you, and if something doesn't feel right, leave! Like the time I parked at a trailhead to cache and saw a lone guy in a pickup just sitting there. So I sat there for 5 minutes while he kept glancing at me. I took off!!

I'm usually pretty oblivious to that kind of thing, although I did wait out some guy in a van for 45 minutes once because he made me uneasy. (I was surprised that I waited that long -- I didn't think I had that much patience.) It all ended well, as the delay resulted in my meeting another lone female cacher who has since become an occasional caching partner.

I am a woman and cache alone. Like everyone said, be aware of your surroundings. Always listen to that little nagging voice; don't worry about feeling paranoid or acting silly. if you are uncomfortable for any reason, leave.

I also am in favor of self-defense classes for everyone, cachers and noncachers. I took tae kwon do for several years, and although I could certainly be hurt or overpowered by someone, it did give me some basic knowledge of target areas, movements, and confidence to feel a little more secure.

Catservant

We are a caching team and I do have to say I have the cache bug much more than DH. I have the same problem where he doesn't want to do as much as I and he will give up on a hunt before I do. I do some by myself and I always take my mace, sometimes the dog and sometimes the Kid - although she wouldn't offer any protection, but does offer a distraction for grabbing in a muggle situation! :P

When I go by myself, I always take into consideration where I am going to be hunting and the time of day and if I think it is questionable, I either pass it up or force DH to come - there is usually something I can offer which will encourage him. :)

Ok, this is a good time for me to ask a silly question. Goodness, it's been a long time since I felt like a newbie. What does DH exactly stand for? I know in general, but not exactly. :P Thanks.

Dear Husband, or Darling Husband.

I thought it meant dam(n) husband! But that's mainly when he can't find the cache...

I usually take my wife caching with me, but like you, she is usually only up for about 2 or 3 caches and then wants to go home, so needless to say, I do a lot of caches on my own. We just recently did a cache and a man walked up to us acting very strange and started talking about the various plants, then mentioned that he is camping further up the trail. He made small talk for a few minutes and took off. He was acting very nervous the whole time.

I won't mince words here -- Him walking up to me (a male) caching by myself would probably not have been a big deal, but if my wife were caching by herself...... Who knows? I don't know that I would want my wife trompsing around in the woods by herself, with or without self defense.. I would venture to guess that the vast majority of sexual assaults and crimes are men against women, not the other way around.

I personally wouldn't go by myself... Maybe find a local cacher that you could team up with?

The women cachers that I know around here have all said that they feel most comfortable doing urban cachers rather than go into the woods alone. They often save the woods for when they have a companion along. They like I (6'4" 225lb. Male) pick urban areas where they feel comfortable. I think thats important for everyone, cache in your comfort zone, what ever it may be.

Oh, and about bringing a kid along... bring one you can outrun! Just kidding!!

I do most of my caching alone. For one, my husband lives in another state and only comes up a couple of months in the summer to spend with the kids. For another, he only likes to do 2 or 3 so holds me back from having a full cache day! I've taken other friends before but it seems that I get distracted too easily. I LIKE caching alone. I like the peace and quiet. Solitude is too rare a commodity in my house.

I have met more females on the trail than males.

As a single male caching, I normally get the "uh oh" look, until they see the GPS, then usually all is well.

There might be a lesson about hiding the GPS here.

As stated above, no education or training, can replace your instincts.

Yeah, I gotta say that initially, it was a family thing, but most of the time, it's mom, the lab retriever, and the boy (who, frankly, is more interested in bird watching than caching most of the time). I am thankful he still is willing to engage in any public activities with his mother, for god's sake because i know it's just a matter of time before I become too much of a public embarassment to the lad. Ungrateful little poop. :)

I too am a solo cacher most of the time. I recently got a black lab so she could come with me. I also just came back from a weekend of women only classes in different things, like self defense. I asked the instructor about ways to protect oneself while on the trail. I learned how to defend myself from attacks behind and from front. Mace doesn't always work because you have to have it out and available. I would look into a class and like others have said be aware. Self defense is the key when you are way out in the woods and no one to hear or see you.

As a single woman, I do cache alone. Luckily, my stepdad is also in need of a geocaching 12 step program and is usually up for a trip out. I prefer urban caches and take a cellphone with me. I think reasonable caution is all that is needed. Life in general contains risks. If I fell down the stairs at home alone, I could be there for days before anyone figured out I was in trouble. :lol:

I have met more females on the trail than males.

As a single male caching, I normally get the "uh oh" look, until they see the GPS, then usually all is well.

There might be a lesson about hiding the GPS here.

As stated above, no education or training, can replace your instincts.

Then again, as a single male cacher, perhaps you just notice the women cachers more lol.

The women cachers that I know around here have all said that they feel most comfortable doing urban cachers rather than go into the woods alone.

Hey, I'm one of the woman cachers you know around here, and I'm waaay comfortable alone in the woods. I think the statistics are remarkably clear on where the real risks in your life lie (driving - and in the house).

One of the things I love about the GPS is the freedom it gives me to wander off trail in the woods and especially the swamps - I'm much more adventurous since my DH (I thought that was designated hitter?) (but it's dear husband in this thread, okay?) got me one. Although I ALWAYS carry a compass. Cell phone just about useless, there's no reception in most of the areas I frequent. Also, they work so much better when you turn them on (he got me one of those too).

Many years ago I got kind of worried as I kept noticing a couple of guys in a jeep at various trail crossings as I looped around the forest - I told myself not to be paranoid, they were driving around and I was riding (a horse) around. But they were sitting at the trailhead when I came up the road, and I WAS paranoid. I decided that I would not dismount until I was comfortable with their presence. Turns out there were following me - trying to catch up with me for hours. They noticed my headlights were on and wanted to jumpstart my truck. They'd been trying to find me in the woods for 2 hours and sitting there waiting to help for another hour!

The women cachers that I know around here have all said that they feel most comfortable doing urban cachers rather than go into the woods alone.

Hey, I'm one of the woman cachers you know around here, and I'm waaay comfortable alone in the woods. I think the statistics are remarkably clear on where the real risks in your life lie (driving - and in the house).

One of the things I love about the GPS is the freedom it gives me to wander off trail in the woods and especially the swamps - I'm much more adventurous since my DH (I thought that was designated hitter?) (but it's dear husband in this thread, okay?) got me one. Although I ALWAYS carry a compass. Cell phone just about useless, there's no reception in most of the areas I frequent. Also, they work so much better when you turn them on (he got me one of those too).

Many years ago I got kind of worried as I kept noticing a couple of guys in a jeep at various trail crossings as I looped around the forest - I told myself not to be paranoid, they were driving around and I was riding (a horse) around. But they were sitting at the trailhead when I came up the road, and I WAS paranoid. I decided that I would not dismount until I was comfortable with their presence. Turns out there were following me - trying to catch up with me for hours. They noticed my headlights were on and wanted to jumpstart my truck. They'd been trying to find me in the woods for 2 hours and sitting there waiting to help for another hour!

And who said chivalry is dead? :lol:

Most of the times I geo cache alone in the woods, I like the challenge of doing it by myself. Just be aware whats going on around you. The only thing I've encountered in the woods is mostly wildlife. But if I feel uncomfortable about something I just leave, and tackle it another time...redshar