Event Cache Logging

The Cheeseheads

There is no rule about how long a cache has to be active.

Yes, there is. Quoted from the listing requirements/guidelines:

Cache Permanence

When you report a cache on the Geocaching.com web site, geocachers should (and will) expect the cache to be there for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, ... temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for events) most likely will not be listed.

My bad....thanks for pointing that out. So I guess the only real issues with this idea is: 1) Stopping abuse; and 2) Getting GC to create a new category for it.

Perhaps a better way to do it would be to add a new type of log to an event cache. The icon could be an ammo can or something similar. Logging it wouldn't augment your stats in any way, but it would be a place to "log a find" on a temporary event cache rather than just posting a note.

:(

Congrats... You've just restated the whole point of this thread!

I'd like to see a way to keep track of temporary or "Social Cache" finds, but not in a way that adds to your "smiley count". As I and a few others have stated a few times, it would be like how benchmarks show up on your stats page. It would show how many you've found, but it doesn't add to your total of actual found caches.

It would make the Pro-Event Cache people happy because they would be able to log their temporary cache finds.

It would make the Anti-Event Cache people happy because even if yo go to an event with 100 temporary film containers or "pocket lint" caches, logging them would not add to your find total.

Personally, even though I've logged them in the past, I'm siding with the "Anti" camp as long as there's a method in place to keep track of them.

Perhaps a better way to do it would be to add a new type of log to an event cache. The icon could be an ammo can or something similar. Logging it wouldn't augment your stats in any way, but it would be a place to "log a find" on a temporary event cache rather than just posting a note.

:(

I'd like to see a way to keep track of temporary or "Social Cache" finds, but not in a way that adds to your "smiley count". As I and a few others have stated a few times, it would be like how benchmarks show up on your stats page. It would show how many you've found, but it doesn't add to your total of actual found caches.

It would make the Pro-Event Cache people happy because they would be able to log their temporary cache finds.

It would make the Anti-Event Cache people happy because even if yo go to an event with 100 temporary film containers or "pocket lint" caches, logging them would not add to your find total.

Personally, even though I've logged them in the past, I'm siding with the "Anti" camp as long as there's a method in place to keep track of them.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the practice of logging "pocket lint" :) if they create a separate event cache category that doesn't count towards your find total. My guess is that the "pocket lint" people will still log the event as being attended multiple times to get their smilies.

Edited by TrailGators

Maybe we're really not that far off in our ideas - sorry. :(

The part that I didn't like was having GC.com actually *list* temporary caches. If you're just looking for a way to add a log for them to the event page -- not a separate listing for them -- I think you might have a better chance of making that happen. Then again, that's up to TPTB, not to me.

Edited by Mary&Dave