Scratched 60csx Screen

If you've been following the scratched screen saga you'd know my screen was scratched on a bunch of sharp rocks while hiking. Garmin said they'd charge me $136 or so to fix it. I said forget it. People have suggested using Brasso and screen protectors. The scratch was deep enough that I felt it with my fingernail. If you do a search for my past message you'll find that I gave a couple links to instructions on how to fix scratches. I followed the one that used 1000 and 2000 grit sandpaper. It took quite a bit more time than I anticipated. I wished I used a screwdriver and taken the screen off before working on it, but such is life.

Anyway, in the end Brasso ended up doing a great job buffing it up after using 2000 grit paper. The GPS doesn't look like it had a scratch on it now. So, if your screen is really scratched up and you're up to the challenge I highly suggest giving the "fix" a try. I'm so much happier with my unit now that the scratch is gone again. I may spring for those plastic screen covers now. ;-)

I may spring for those plastic screen covers now. ;-)

Good move, today was my first day with my 60cs and I had purchased one of those $10 invisishields for it. Seems like a bit much for a screen protector but I was impressed. It has a lifetime guarantee (only legit one I saw for a screen protector). It went on real smooth. It gets applied like window tint, with spray and even a mini-squeegee, and I can't even tell its there until I touch it. Very happy with it.

Edited by scavok

Why just a screen protector; get a cover! I have a neoprene that covers my 60cs except for the top. A fellow cacher has a 60cx, but he don't have a cover and his buttons are starting to lose the protective rubber material. Mine look in real good shape after 1500 finds.

I may spring for those plastic screen covers now. ;-)

Good move, today was my first day with my 60cs and I had purchased one of those $10 invisishields for it. Seems like a bit much for a screen protector but I was impressed. It has a lifetime guarantee (only legit one I saw for a screen protector). It went on real smooth. It gets applied like window tint, with spray and even a mini-squeegee, and I can't even tell its there until I touch it. Very happy with it.

That invisibleshield saved the screen on my GPAMAP 76CS. It was one of the best $10 investements I have ever made.

I've said it a hundred times...I just don't understand how a person can spend $400 on a GPSr and not spend another $20.00 for a protective case. It just baffles me.

That's like asking why a person would spend a lot of money on an expensive SLR camera and not buy a never-ready (ahem, ever-ready) case to protect it. They're inconvenient. I'm sure the one for the GPS is especially so if you use the car mount or change batteries often.

Why just a screen protector; get a cover! I have a neoprene that covers my 60cs except for the top. A fellow cacher has a 60cx, but he don't have a cover and his buttons are starting to lose the protective rubber material. Mine look in real good shape after 1500 finds.

Where did u get your cover?

Where did u get your cover?

Gilsson. I didn't like their version for my Vista, so I returned it and got a second one for my 60cs.

Yes, at first they it was a tight fit. Now, the cover slips in and out easily, but I still have a hard time using up-down button to enter letters and #s. However, it's easy to slip off the cover. Overall, I prefer it to none and sitll recommend it over the glass-only protective covers. I have dropped mine many a time; the neoprene cover is thick enough to have absorbed all falls, thus far.

It don't come with the carabiner; and I cut off the belt clip on one of the covers to give it a slimmer profile.

r60nlarge.jpg