Who Is Currently Holding My Illinois Geocoin From Gw4?

Audion64

I sent my Illinois Geocoin out on what I was hoping would be a relatively safe trip. Unlike most TB's and geocoins the specific goal of mine was to NEVER be placed in a cache. Instead it was supposed to be physically handed off from cacher to cacher.

Well it hit GW4 and is AWOL now. I've emailed the last 3 loggers of the coin and none of them have the coin. SOMEONE should have it in hand, if that someone is you... could you please log the coin so it can continue its travels. Thanks!

Illinois Geocoin - Around the world, one cacher at a time.

Good luck. I find that geocoin mania brings out the dark side in some people and they lose whatever integrity they had.

Exactly. Well it had travelled nicely up until this point. My hope was that by having it directly handed off from cacher to cacher...

1) There would be a path of 'accountability' by always knowing who handed it to who.

2) That people handing off the coin would hand it to someone at least knew and trusted.

3) The people recieving the coin would be more likely to keep the coin moving since they wouldn't want to make the person who handed them the coin look bad if it disappeared.

Well this all fell apart when the coin was logged into a Mega Event rather than being HELD by the cacher and then grabbed by the next. The chain of 'accountability' was lost, heck people don't even remember who they handed it to, or who they got it from!!!

Sigh. :laughing:

Edited by Audion
Good luck. I find that geocoin mania brings out the dark side in some people and they lose whatever integrity they had.

You can always count on Brian Snat for a positive comment. :laughing:

Coins tend not to travel very far or very long, so don't get too attached to it. Much like travel bugs they have a limited life span "in the wild".

Coins tend not to travel very far or very long, so don't get too attached to it. Much like travel bugs they have a limited life span "in the wild".

I'm trying not to jump to conclusions too quickly, I hope it's just the case of slow logging.

But the point is, this coin was physically handed from one cacher to the next cacher... you would HOPE that each cacher receiving the coin would feel too dadgum guilty to blatantly steal a coin that was handed to them face to face. It's not like they are anonymously visiting a cache in the middle of the woods to steal something where they can't be seen.

This whole issue could have been avoided if folks would have at least remember the caching handle of the person they handed the coin off to. Joe hands it to Jim, Jim hands it to Sally, coin goes missing... well Sally is a thief... very easy to see. Oh well.

I'm trying not to jump to conclusions too quickly, I hope it's just the case of slow logging.

But the point is, this coin was physically handed from one cacher to the next cacher... you would HOPE that each cacher receiving the coin would feel too dadgum guilty to blatantly steal a coin that was handed to them face to face. It's not like they are anonymously visiting a cache in the middle of the woods to steal something where they can't be seen.

This whole issue could have been avoided if folks would have at least remember the caching handle of the person they handed the coin off to. Joe hands it to Jim, Jim hands it to Sally, coin goes missing... well Sally is a thief... very easy to see. Oh well.

I logged the last of my GW4 coins this morning. I'm sad to say yours wasn't among them.

After four coins (not mine) I left in a couple caches went missing, I have vowed only to hand them off at events.

But seriously, if owning a bug/coin gives you one bit of heartburn, you might want to focus on other more positive aspects of the game for awhile. I have seen missing bugs come back to life after several YEARS of sitting in someones dark closet or on their swag shelf. I had one recently start moving (Blaine the Insane Train) after sitting for over 2 years on a GeoBud's computer. I let it bother me not one bit.

Edited by Snoogans

Not that I am into geocoins, but... I beg your pardon, how dare you insinuate that I (as a member of the class of people known as "some people") ever had any integrity? I resent that insinuation.

:huh: